Colorado Ceramic Abrasives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tdog

Colorado Ceramic Abrasives

Post by Tdog »

Anyone heard of or used this companies V Type ceramic sharpener? I picked on up at a garage sale today for $2.00 Came in a red vinyl package with grey and white circular rods. Oak holder that is spring loaded to keep the rods on place.(neat design) Sharpens at 15 and 22 degrees. No dates on the paper insert, curious how old it might be? Thanks T
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Colorado Ceramic Abrasives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Can you please keep us posted about its performance if you use it to sharpen knives?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Makes me wonder if it might be the same company that supplies SPYDERCO with their great ceramic sharpening tools. I do find it interesting that another company from the great state of COLORADO USA is in the same market for ceramic sharpening tools.

AS good as Spyderco's great ceramic sharpening tools have worked for me over the years this company's products would really have to be really super for me to even want to try them out. Of course I still live with the time tested cliche "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Don't Try To Fix It". However I will admit that I am a bit disappointed with the new GAUNTLET system. It isn't what I was told it was about 2 to 3 years ago. But it would take a really superb tool to beat out the 204 Sharpmaker>> Yeah I'll stick to that one as well.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 am
Can you please keep us posted about its performance if you use it to sharpen knives?
I have used the sharpener and it works well. Not sure what grit the stones are but the grey is definitely coarser than the medium Spydie stone.(maybe 200-400) The white seems between the fine and extra-fine Spydie stones. Does a nice job sharpening. I found a post on BF from 2000 re this system so it could be from that timeframe. Not a lot on the internet about the Colorado Ceramics V system. I like the spring loaded retention of the rods. I'll try and post a pic later today.
Edit to add: I found what looks like this sharpener made by "Idahone." Not sure but I suspect this sharpener is the same and predates that name. I emailed these folks in hope they might provide some info.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Received a response from Idahone today. They did make this sharpener before becoming "Idahone" They indicated the sharpener is around 30 years old and said the grey rods are approx. 500 grit though they seem coarser than that to me. The white rods are around 1200 grit which seems about right. The Colorado Ceramic works great, though won't take the place of my Sharpmaker.
LarryDC

Post by LarryDC »

I know this is an old post.
But I own one but with only the fine rods and they do have those spring retention holes on the back.
I bought it in October of 1988 in San Mateo, CA at some store named Good Earth or something similar.
I've used it all this time to keep my chef knives sharp...now a Henckel.
It did have a red plastic sleeve. The plastic hand guard has long since broken off... I use a pot holder glove to be safe.
And I only use the more vertical angled holes to keep these knives sharp.
Thanks for the details on angles and coarseness.