Superman vs Batman

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
abbazaba

Re: Superman vs Batman

Post by abbazaba »

Batman is definitely at the mercy of Superman at any given moment.

Fun movie. Not usually an Affleck fan, but he plays a spoiled super rich guy with a bad attitude pretty well. Man of Steel was one of the most destructive movies I've ever seen if you didn't already watch the prequel.
Crux

Post by Crux »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 am
Batman is definitely at the mercy of Superman at any given moment.

Fun movie. Not usually an Affleck fan, but he plays a spoiled super rich guy with a bad attitude pretty well. Man of Steel was one of the most destructive movies I've ever seen if you didn't already watch the prequel.
Okay, I watched the "Man of Steel" and it was very, very good. I haven't watched any of the Batman/Superman movies because I was stuck on the originals. What should I watch next?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

MARTHA!!!!

Also batman always wins. That's a comic book rule.
Crux

Post by Crux »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:24 pm
MARTHA!!!!

Also batman always wins. That's a comic book rule.
Which is the best Batman movie?
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I felt the movie had a lot of potential, but that it ultimately failed to deliver. I'm a huge DC fan, so it was a big let down for me.

I really liked Wonder Woman, and Aquaman got good reviews. I think Warner Bros is started to get the hang of comic book movies...slowly but surely.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kels73 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 pm
I felt the movie had a lot of potential, but that it ultimately failed to deliver. I'm a huge DC fan, so it was a big let down for me.

I really liked Wonder Woman, and Aquaman got good reviews. I think Warner Bros is started to get the hang of comic book movies...slowly but surely.

I really don't get it either. I think Ben is a fine Batman. He plays the older/wore out Batman very well and I think he could potentially be the best to play the part yet but the writing just seems to be missing the mark. If he had been given the same material that Bale had I think he would have done a better job.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 pm
I personally preferred the Marcel Comics, starting in the late '60s when I was 4, although my first comics were DC (Challengers of the Unknown, and The Unexpected).
Jack Kirby was the workhorse of Marvel Comics, but before that he was the guy breathing life into Challengers of the Unknown for DC comics.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I NEED another movie referral. That's the subject no one wants to address.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I thought Michael Keaton portrayed Batman the best, in my opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Crux wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 am
The Watchmen is probably the best DC movie that never gets recognized.
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am
Crux wrote:
I thought it was too off the source material. Still a good movie but not quite the comic book. I wasn't a huge watchmen fan but I made the effort to read the original before the movie and I just preferred that to the movie.

Wanted was WAY off the source material from the comic. Then again I understand it would have been difficult to do it exactly like the source material for several reasons.

And this isn't in response to you D.

I think the original batman from 89 was great and I liked the first 2 Nolan flicks. The 3rd Nolan flick wasn't a good ending in my opinion and I felt bane wasn't who he should have been because in the comics he was a genius. Equal to batman in almost every way.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would Batman use H1 Steel to make hardware ?

And how would Super Man and Wonder Woman in DC Universe and Wolverine in Marvel Universe react if someone from the Spyderco Forum went up to them and showed them an H1 steel blade and said "Look at this great new steel alloy everyone, what do you think of it?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 pm
Would Batman use H1 Steel to make hardware ?

And how would Super Man and Wonder Woman in DC Universe and Wolverine in Marvel Universe react if someone from the Spyderco Forum went up to them and showed them an H1 steel blade and said "Look at this great new steel alloy everyone, what do you think of it?"

I would imagine Bruce makes his baterangs and such out of cheap carbon steel since they only need to work once. I don't think he's out there collecting them back and sharpening them for reuse so edge retention and such probably don't matter, they just need to be tough enough to penetrate and not break.

I don't recall ever reading a realistic metallurgical breakdown for adamantium but I'd imagine since it doesn't rust inside Wolverine's body it must be rust proof somehow and it's nearly indestructible so he may not be too impressed by H1 lol. Wonder Woman's gauntlets are also bullet proof, whatever they're made from.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

My favorite Batman movie was the second Christopher Nolan one.

I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, or any Superman movies made since the second Christopher Reeve one back in 1981. For various reasons, I've never been much of a Superman fan.

My favorite DC movie is Wonder Woman. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, so that could change.

Jim
Crux

Post by Crux »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 pm

I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, or any Superman movies made since the second Christopher Reeve one back in 1981. For various reasons, I've never been much of a Superman fan.

My favorite DC movie is Wonder Woman. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, so that could change.

Jim
The name of which is?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Crux wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:37 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Jim
The name of which is?
Which one are you asking about?

Superman II and The Dark Knight. I haven't seen either one since their original theatrical releases. Once a superhero becomes a movie series, I rarely keep track of all the different titles or subtitles, including the Marvel movies...such as Spider-Man, Thor, etc.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am
Crux wrote:
I thought it was too off the source material. Still a good movie but not quite the comic book. I wasn't a huge watchmen fan but I made the effort to read the original before the movie and I just preferred that to the movie.

Wanted was WAY off the source material from the comic. Then again I understand it would have been difficult to do it exactly like the source material for several reasons.

And this isn't in response to you D.

I think the original batman from 89 was great and I liked the first 2 Nolan flicks. The 3rd Nolan flick wasn't a good ending in my opinion and I felt bane wasn't who he should have been because in the comics he was a genius. Equal to batman in almost every way.

I never read the Watchman so I have no idea how it compares. In fact I didn't read a lot of comics when I was a kid, mostly just some X-Men/Spiderman/Venom/Ghost Rider/Wolverine stuff so there's quite a lot going on in movies right now that I have no doubt strays from the comic sources but I guess I have that "ignorance is bliss" effect in not knowing if they're true to the comics or not, and that allows me to just enjoy them for what they are.

On the other hand some of what I DO know does bother me, like how Jean Gray/Phoenix has destroyed entire planets and yet Wolverine was able to walk up to her and kill her. I guess you need some kind of balance in movies but I felt that they really understated Jean's abilities in those movies. And as much as I like Ian McKellen I think he was a horrible choice for Magneto in the early movies and Michael Fassbender would have been far better from the start (though he may have been too young back then). I also like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine but he's too tall. I think a younger Glen Danzig would have fit that part perfectly if he can act. He was ripped and short enough for the part.

Oh and I agree about Bane. I still liked the movie but it was kinda lacking from what I've read about the character. Dave Bautista has done a pretty good job with Drax, he at least has a better build for Bane.
~David
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

When X-Men first came out I remember being blown away by Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.
You can't expect much from the awards people these days, but at least he eventually got a nomination for his work as Wolverine. Pretty high praise actually.
Crux

Post by Crux »

What is this X-Men that you speak of?
James Y

Post by James Y »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 pm
When X-Men first came out I remember being blown away by Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.
You can't expect much from the awards people these days, but at least he eventually got a nomination for his work as Wolverine. Pretty high praise actually.
My personal favorite superhero movie of all time is Logan. IMO, that was Hugh Jackman at his best as Wolverine. For me, there is something about that movie that sets it apart from all others in the superhero genre.

Jim