What makes a knife a "good knife for you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

What makes a knife a "good knife for you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I put this thread here because it can include knives other than Spyderco. The question is, for your personal uses and applications, what is a "bare minimum" for a knife to be "good". Not necessarilly super, not even necessarilly an excellent or great knife, but, for your own personal tastes and parameters, in which unless it was absolutely necessary, you would not get a cheaper or go for a lesser-quality knife, what basic schematics and properties would you or do you require?

This does not have to be any specific brand of knife.

For me the very basics within the context of this question are:

1 Decent blade length, most likely in the 3.5 to 4 inch range. Smaller can work out if the other qualities such as steel and sharpness are met. Longer and it can get in the way, unless I am using it for something like cutting through brush.
2 Decent thickness, most likely in the 2 to 4 MM blade thickness range. However, as some on here have shown, thinner blade stock can work out if the knife is quality-made.
3 Made with a tough, corrosion-resistant steel that has decent edge-holding properties.
4 Comfortable and durable handle.
5 Secure sheath that allows the knife to be removed and resheathed without much problem. That is, if it is a fixed blade.

If a folder, then 5 would be a reasonably safe and secure blade-lock mechanism that I can count on to not close accidentally on my fingers, as long as I am not pushing the knife beyond what it can handle.

How about you all?