Mora Knives Revisited: What do you like about them and what do you not like?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Mora Knives Revisited: What do you like about them and what do you not like?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Let's discuss Mora knives, everyone. By Mora Knives I include mainly the actual Swedish-made knives such as the Mora classic fixed blades as well as the more modernized ones they produce with polymer handles and sheaths and stainless steel blades.

If you want you can include Finnish Puukkos and Norwegien knives such as the Helle fixed blades in this discussion.

And so: What are some of what you personally consider to be their strong issues and what do you consider to be their weak issues that can be improved?

To my surprise I heard a man who is into knives actually put down Mora knives, claiming they have a bad fit and finish in comparison to other factory-produced knives from Europe and America and Asia.

But they seem to have been very well-used by the Scandinavian peoples!

I personally love Mora knives as well as other Scandinavian knives. I love the Swedish laminated steel, too.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Mora Knives Revisited: What do you like about them and what do you not like?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use a Mora Companion a lot. I have way too many outdoor fixed blades including some rather expensive ones. I still grab that humble $15 knife as much or more than all the others. It is the best value I have found in the knife world.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Mora Knives Revisited: What do you like about them and what do you not like?

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:04 pm
I use a Mora Companion a lot. I have way too many outdoor fixed blades including some rather expensive ones. I still grab that humble $15 knife as much or more than all the others. It is the best value I have found in the knife world.
Great point. I have another question for you on this, since you are one of our resident Scandinavian knife experts: Is it my imagination or is there truth to this? I noticed that there seemed to be a "peak period" when Finnish puukko knife makers really were very much into using quality plastics/polymers for their knife handles, back in the 1980s to early 2000s period, and then that began to decline, and they went back to using more natural materials such as wood and bone and birch wood and things like that. Is this true or not? It kind of bums me out because while I do like well-fashioned natural materials, I am a lover of plastics and polymers and synthetics and they are lighter and more durable. If this decline in plastic handles is true, what caused it? Lack of market interest because most of those into Scandi knives want the natural materials?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I love Helle knives. Functionally they may not be significantly better than cheap Mora knives, but knowing they are hand made buy actual people makes a big difference to me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 pm
I love Helle knives. Functionally they may not be significantly better than cheap Mora knives, but knowing they are hand made buy actual people makes a big difference to me.
Michael, Helle knives are excellent. Helle said they do not plan on adding knives with synthetic handle materials such as plastics or G10. As a satisfied Helle customer do you accept that or do you wish they would add FRN and G10 handles to their knives?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 pm
Michael, Helle knives are excellent. Helle said they do not plan on adding knives with synthetic handle materials such as plastics or G10. As a satisfied Helle customer do you accept that or do you wish they would add FRN and G10 handles to their knives?
I would be saddened if they gave up wood and traditional materials like brass and leather. I mean, I like G-10 and FRN in Spyderco knives, but makers like Helle and Great Eastern Cutlery that use traditional materials (yes, along with micarta and acrylic) with predominantly hand work and assembly get my attention more than injection plastic handles and robot assembly striving for low cost and high volume.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Hi,

I have a Mora Kansbol stainless. Honestly, something I would never have purchased on my own, but, it was a freebee included with a tool purchase I made.

I've recently started to use it with fire making tasks here at the house... so, wood starter shavings, fire sticks, and will soon try splitting small logs with it. Just something I can't bring myself around to doing with a more expensive and more attractive fixed blade.

So to answer your question... PRICE! And I also like that it doesn't come from China. I'm going to use and abuse this one. If it breaks or gets ruined it won't bother me at all. So far I like the Scandi grind and the grip is comfortable in hand when applying a lot of force to it

I wouldn't know what they could do to improve the knife and keep the price the same or less.

I'll likely be purchasing a Mora carbon model of thicker blade stock in the near future to mess around with too, it retails less than a $20.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've got several Moras and have used them as beater knives on camping & hiking trips. For the money they are an excellent knife. And because they are so cheap you have no misgiving about using them hard.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'm a little ashamed that as a Norwegian didn't own a mora or a helle knife, and i never have.
So today when i was out shopping ballistol i bought a Helle.
I really like the use of traditional materials. Leather and wood.
Fit and finish are ok, but different sized scales and lopsided grinds adds to the handmade feeling :)
Attachments
Not very Scandinavian, but its designe by Les Stroud so I had to have it :)
Not very Scandinavian, but its designe by Les Stroud so I had to have it :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be sorely tempted to take the grind all the way back on that blade.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mora = inexpensive and dependable.

These are a pragmatist’s knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc, do you think Mora would ever consider adding a line of folding lock blades, with the basic Mora design features, like Helle of Norway and some of the Finnish companies, like Marttiini, did, that would be inexpensive but durable folders, or, not likely? And if not, why would they likely not do that?

Can you imagine a folding lockblade Mora with both natural and also synthetic materials for handles, but with the good Sandvik and carbon steel and also Scandi ground blades? Man that would be very neat.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:34 am
Doc, do you think Mora would ever consider adding a line of folding lock blades, with the basic Mora design features, like Helle of Norway and some of the Finnish companies, like Marttiini, did, that would be inexpensive but durable folders, or, not likely? And if not, why would they likely not do that?

Can you imagine a folding lockblade Mora with both natural and also synthetic materials for handles, but with the good Sandvik and carbon steel and also Scandi ground blades? Man that would be very neat.
They probably will now that Helle and Enzo have done it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am interested in Helle’s new pocket knife. It is a small mid back lock wi.th a 55mm./2.16” blade. It’s called the Kletten or something like that. It has triple laminated steel and curly birch.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050