About that big thing that happened...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Liquid Cobra

About that big thing that happened...

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surprised there isn’t a thread about it on here. Can we discuss it maturely?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
awa54

Re: About that big thing that happened...

Post by awa54 »

I doubt that "discussion" will do anything but reinforce existing opinions.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

No idea what you are talking about.
Was it the lack of a happy birthday Dave thread?
I know I can’t talk about it, totally triggered m8
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 pm
Hilarious :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Daveho wrote:
Happy Birthday, Dave!

If it’s the Benchmade cutting up seized guns thing - cars get crushed, narcotics burnt, counterfeit goods destroyed .... heck - designer brands even trash tons of quality, first rate gear just to protect their brands. And we all probably throw away enough food to feed a starving family somewhere, at least on average. And it’s not my stuff, anyway.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It’s the optics and symbolism of it. Not the actual guns being destroyed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 am
Daveho wrote:
Happy Birthday, Dave!

If it’s the Benchmade cutting up seized guns thing - cars get crushed, narcotics burnt, counterfeit goods destroyed .... heck - designer brands even trash tons of quality, first rate gear just to protect their brands. And we all probably throw away enough food to feed a starving family somewhere, at least on average. And it’s not my stuff, anyway.
Well thank you sir.

I don’t get why that would be a problem, Could someone enlighten me?

Edit: so I had a brief look- benchmade helped police destroy seized weapons, nice of them to help police and the justice system at large-especially from private company willing to volunteer time, facilities and resources.
Lot of folk online imposing their political views on an irrelevant situation and reinforcing some unflattering stereotypes.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Happy Birthday Dave!

The uproar over this event could only exist in the good 'ol US of A...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a basic technical question about that: Are you saying that Benchmade knives were used to cut through and cut pieces of the actual tempered steel used in the barrels of firearms/guns? That would be one tough and strong knife blade to do that.

Is this the event you speak of?

https://www.recoilweb.com/benchmade-des ... 47391.html

The article says the Benchmade employee used a plasma cutter to cut the guns apart.
SpyderEdgeForever

Also here is a second question about this: Why does the law say that any weapon that has been used in a crime has to be melted down or destroyed? Why wouldn't they want to clean them up, refurbish them if necessary, and recycle them for sale to legitimate gun and knife owners and any interested sportsman, or perhaps refurbish them and give them to military soldiers and other police officers to reuse, instead of wasting the good metal and materials and destroying them? Doesn't that make logical sense?

Then again, would you want to buy a knife or gun at a government auction sale that you knew was used to hurt someone else? Not me. I would rather get a brand new one.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 am
Happy Birthday Dave!

The uproar over this event could only exist in the good 'ol US of A...
Haha cheers :)

Yes indeed- i for one would just stop carrying BM-
Last thing you need is ya gun being all cut up.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:08 am
Also here is a second question about this: Why does the law say that any weapon that has been used in a crime has to be melted down or destroyed? Why wouldn't they want to clean them up, refurbish them if necessary, and recycle them for sale to legitimate gun and knife owners and any interested sportsman, or perhaps refurbish them and give them to military soldiers and other police officers to reuse, instead of wasting the good metal and materials and destroying them? Doesn't that make logical sense?

Then again, would you want to buy a knife or gun at a government auction sale that you knew was used to hurt someone else? Not me. I would rather get a brand new one.
I suspect it’s a process used to clear evidence of old cases that is no longer required and not exclusively firearms and is required by law.
Destruction sounds like a less labour intensive than organising the refurb, testing and sale of these sorts of things.
SpyderEdgeForever

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:17 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

I suspect it’s a process used to clear evidence of old cases that is no longer required and not exclusively firearms and is required by law.
Destruction sounds like a less labour intensive than organising the refurb, testing and sale of these sorts of things.
Thank you Dave, that perfectly explains it and definitely it does make sense.

Those plasma torches are powerful, and some people imagine them being compacted down to hand held size for ease of use.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Can you imagine being stopped and found with a gun that had been used in a crime? You worst nightmares would come true right then. If they are used in a real crime, then destroy them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Nothing to see here.

Small-town police department has no tools to destroy condemned guns, asks small-town knife maker to use its cutting tools.

Not everything about gun-destruction is about gun-destruction, unless you want it to be.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

"The law" does not say that everywhere in the USA. Most states leave such decisions up to the law enforcement agency involved. I can see the justification for destroying truly illegal guns, such as any where the serial number has been altered or removed or any that have been illegally modified into SBR's, SBS's, or fully automatic weapons. Can't see it for perfectly legal guns. Neither do some states and law enforcement agencies that sell them rather than destroy them. Can't see any company in the sporting goods industry wanting the negative publicity aiding and abetting their destruction will inevitably produce, but that's just me.

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

You're assuming the gun or knife would come with a pedigree. There's no reason to believe that would be the case. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but I've only rarely seen make and model mentioned the media, never serial numbers. Generally speaking, the guns sold by law enforcement agencies are sold to FFL dealers. It would be up to the dealer to even tell you that the gun came from the police. Law enforcement agencies don't destroy cars they seized, even if used in a crime.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I wouldn't even WANT to own a gun that was used in a crime, especially a murder, whether it was refurbished and legally sold with the approval of law enforcement or not.

Jim
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

All I know is that I wont keep the BM in the same room as the nerf guns- just to be safe.

I don’t think the guns are exclusively from crime but some may have been forfitted by owners, or family members when the owners pass away or any number of other circumstances- even if the guns could have been sold on I don’t think it matters, I mean would you boycott bladeHQ for their destruction of blades in their videos? No way, they own the knives and can do what ever they want with them.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

The issue isn't for a lot of people BM cutting up some junk guns, but the fact they have been financially supporting some highly anti 2A politicians.

People seem to have forgot how BM ripped off Spyderco, and just recently tried to screw Doug Ritter. Maybe all this is just karma.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
The issue isn't for a lot of people BM cutting up some junk guns, but the fact they have been financially supporting some highly anti 2A politicians.

People seem to have forgot how BM ripped off Spyderco, and just recently tried to screw Doug Ritter. Maybe all this is just karma.
Firstly I thought it odd that they would support those political affiliations but they arnt a firearm company and have their own affiliations- who knows perhaps someone in a position of power there lost someone due to gun violence or perhaps not, they are free to support the political positions they want arnt they?

Did they rip off spyderco? I don’t know about that what’s the story there?
they discontinued the Ritter models, I’m guessing that’s just business (haven’t looked too deep into it), not like me Ritter is hard up for makers to work with though.