About that big thing that happened...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Daveho

Re: About that big thing that happened...

Post by Daveho »

Extra330SC wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 am
https://youtu.be/SRleLfBosBE
Good on him, I think he did well.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm just sad we won't see any Damascus blades made from slides and barrels.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Crux

Post by Crux »

I don't see it as a problem either way. Now if BM was doing the collecting that might be different. They just did a favor, they didn't make a political stand. I'm pro gun but I don't think I'd want any gun used in a crime. They keep making new ones.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
DJ

Post by DJ »

I just dont like BM,s political donations going to the anti 2nd amendment politicians
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:22 pm
cbrstar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
The issue isn't for a lot of people BM cutting up some junk guns, but the fact they have been financially supporting some highly anti 2A politicians.

People seem to have forgot how BM ripped off Spyderco, and just recently tried to screw Doug Ritter. Maybe all this is just karma.
Firstly I thought it odd that they would support those political affiliations but they arnt a firearm company and have their own affiliations- who knows perhaps someone in a position of power there lost someone due to gun violence or perhaps not, they are free to support the political positions they want arnt they?

Did they rip off spyderco? I don’t know about that what’s the story there?
they discontinued the Ritter models, I’m guessing that’s just business (haven’t looked too deep into it), not like me Ritter is hard up for makers to work with though.
Ever see the Griptillian with a thumbhole? I would say a lot here but shiny footprints. I haven’t owned a BM in years and never will now. Their donations do not align with my views. I realize Patagonia and lots of other brands do the same. I can’t cull everything from my life based on politics but I try to at least support those who do align with me.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

They pay to use it assuming it’s still protected by trade mark...really not a big deal and it’s very common place..
Do you drive exclusively Volvo’s as all other brands “ripped off” the three point seat belt?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm
They pay to use it assuming it’s still protected by trade mark...really not a big deal and it’s very common place..
Do you drive exclusively Volvo’s as all other brands “ripped off” the three point seat belt?
Daveho,

It was an issue. BM moves to an oval shaped hole for a while to walk it back. Google it, there was a rift.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The current models use the round holes and previous information given on the forum show that it’s not a problem.
And Sals position seems to be that they have an agreement and won’t go further into it- it’s not an issue.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Daveho wrote:
I think I read somewhere Volvo gave it away as part of social responsibility.

And on BM using the hole, just check Paul/Deacon site. http://paulberetta.com/
Chris :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm
The current models use the round holes and previous information given on the forum show that it’s not a problem.
And Sals position seems to be that they have an agreement and won’t go further into it- it’s not an issue.
I believe Sal's position is "shiny footprints".

That doesn't mean they have an agreement, or that past wrongs didn't happen.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

anagarika wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 am
Daveho wrote:

They did indeed-pretty amazing to see a company put that ahead of what would have been a large pile of cash.
As for Paul’s site- It’s fine have preference, we all do; but I don’t see any references to support all these claims he’s making, he may be right on many points but just writing “FACT” dosnt make it so and it reads to me more as an emotional plea.
given that Spyderco hold the trademark and arnt worried about it and have openly said that they have an agreement with benchmade- I just don’t see reasoning here for consumers to be more upset with trademark infringement than the trademark holders themselves.
Last edited by Daveho on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:05 am
Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm
I believe Sal's position is "shiny footprints".

That doesn't mean they have an agreement, or that past wrongs didn't happen.
Sal has confirmed in the past that they have an agreement, as for the past issues- my quick look at it just turned up forum chatter but nothing one could really cite as a reputable source.
I’m all for supporting morally upright companies and condemning wrong doing but i do need actual evidence.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:34 pm
anagarika wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 am
Daveho wrote:

They did indeed-pretty amazing to see a company put that ahead of what would have been a large pile of cash.
As for Paul’s site- It’s fine have preference, we all do; but I don’t see any references to support all these claims he’s making, he may be right on many points but just writing “FACT” dosnt make it so and it reads to me more as an emotional plea.
given that Spyderco hold the trademark and arnt worried about it and have openly said that they have an agreement with benchmade- I just don’t see reasoning here for consumers to be more upset with trademark infringement than the trademark holders themselves.
I’m afraid one has to go back in time to trace the history (news, launching dates, forum chatter) to validate Paul’s FACT, especially the last point on agreement reached after the fact.

I’ll leave it at that, and agree that as of today there’s no issue.
Chris :spyder:
GronK

Post by GronK »

It wasn't really a big thing that happened, just a huge response from a certain segment of knife afi's. I personally am sending thoughts and prayers to the poor guns so heartlessly destroyed.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I personally don’t like anything Benchmade offers, and this just puts the nail in the coffin that I will never own one.
Josh
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Since we are on the topic of Benchmade, do you ever think Benchmade will offer a "quality economy range" of knives, like a Benchmade version of the Spyderco Byrds or most likely not?
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:58 am
Since we are on the topic of Benchmade, do you ever think Benchmade will offer a "quality economy range" of knives, like a Benchmade version of the Spyderco Byrds or most likely not?
Benchmade used to have a "Red Class" line that was their budget knives. It included some knives made in China, so it would have been somewhat similar to the Byrd or economy Spyderco models.

Oddly enough, the first link that came up from a Google search for "Benchmade Red Class" is from this forum back in 2010 about the Red Class line being cancelled:

viewtopic.php?t=41615
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:58 am
Awhile back I had a BM pika 2- which was part of their red class.
With our a doubt an awful knife, I freakn hated
That thing- I think I gave it away and paid the postage to see it go.
Lock was oddly tight and yet the blade had movement in every direction (dispite numerous attempts to fix it), clip was weak and deformed easily, the steel was soft and required a lot of maintenance..
Ergos where pretty good and I like the blade shape.

Not sad to see this range go honestly.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

This is just an observation. ..nothing more!

I've been monitoring the Rockscale Design website (they make high end titanium scales for Benchmade ) as a barometer on BM , To see if there's any impact from this PR disaster in the knife community. I thought this was a good site to check... because these small boutique shops cater to the higher end collector /user ! RSD "opens " the site until a certain number of each scale style is filled, So they don't fall behind , And take 2 months to get your paid product shipped.

Well....the site went live at 12:30 PM PST and literally sold out BEFORE the text and email alerts were received! The customers who are buying these titanium parts are the KNOWLEDGEABLE knife aficionados that spend 90-120 bucks on aftermarket scales, Backpackers, etc. One would assume that a shop like this would be affected IF there was any real blowback from what happened! Only people who are on Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, and Blade forums usually know about small shops like this.

Once again ...this is just a very small sample observation. ..but I don’t think Benchmade will be permanently affected by this whole affair!

James

https://rockscaledesign.com/
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Overall, this entire dust up appears to be another example of sampling error. Many knife nerds know about it, most seem not to care, and the vast majority of buyers are completely unaware.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation