Legality of Non-Metallic Self-Defense Items?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Legality of Non-Metallic Self-Defense Items?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Crux wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:00 pm
phillipsted wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:29 am
I've taken to carrying walking sticks when I'm on travel. If we are going to an area for hiking, I carry my carbon fiber collapsible hiking sticks. But, if I'm going somewhere less outdoorsy, I'll carry my BlackSwift stick. They are extremely light weight and incredibly sturdy and durable. Several companies make sticks similar to these (like Cold Steel), but the BlackSwift sticks are head-and-shoulders above these.

http://www.blackswiftsticks.com/
I disagree as the Cold Steel cane I mentioned is far more handy for defense. The actual cane is much thicker so it also serves a purpose rather than relying on the handle alone.
Here is a hypothetical scenario question for you:

If a person is walking down a street and it is late at night and they have on them a Cold Steel cane and also a fixed blade Cold Steel knife, like one of the tantos, and several violent gang members attempt to accost them with the intent of mugging them and/or even killing the person, what would be the best reaction and response, if the gang members do not have firearms, and are armed with stuff such as chains, knives, and metal pipes?

Could a person conceivably proceed to whoop their butts and smash them and get away or does it depend on various factors?

Also, let's say our person in this scenario were to seriously mete out some severe damage, defending his or herself, using the Cold Steel cane and/or the Cold Steel tanto blade, and either kills or wounds and drives them off. What types of further situations should said self-defender expect to face and have to encounter, or does that also depend on various factors?
Crux

Post by Crux »

That totally depends on the State, but generally if you are physically attacked and fear for your life you can legally wipe out a handgun and blow them away. Now if you keep shooting them while they are down that's another thing. Same as if you abused them with a cane, but if it took deadly force to secure your safety you can beat them until they can't or won't get back up or you are able to escape. Either way it'll be an sheet storm so have a good lawyer. It's also better than being dead.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Recently I acquired The Indestructible Umbrella Standard Model Walking Stick Straight Handle Defense which bills itself as "a perfectly legal umbrella/protection device." By virtue of its construction, it will not have the bone-breaking striking power of a cane, but should provide walking assistance and indeed some defensive capabilities... as well as keep the rain off.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

A few things.

Back in the 90's my wife was a store manager for Walgreens in Iowa and Illinois. In as much as the job is not "hard" they often had unruly and even violent shoppers. I bought her a machined aluminum "spike" that fit on her key chain. It was NOT that spiky... it was a silver cylinder abt 5 inches long and it had a tip on it that you could use for striking. I was told in Iowa that it was illegal by a cop, wherein I explained what my wife did for a living and they let it go.

As far as defense once attacked goes, I was in Chicago, and I was attacked by 4 to 5 guys. Maximum pressure was not yet being applied, they were grabbing at me, kicking me, and trying to punch me. A few of them had grasped me and I was able to grab my Benchmade assisted folder, draw it to my right hip, open it, and yell knife. They let me go immediately and I walked away with a few scratches and a knot on my shin. I've studied the basics in 5 Filipino knife arts, and the training was very valuable. The cops did arrest me for ag assault, even though the weapon was not brandished, not thrust, knife did not move from my hip....AND I was getting the **** beat out of me for abt 30 seconds to a minute. The prosecutor would not let me off, so I have a misdemeanor. NOW I have USCCA insurance for immediate legal assistance.

I also still carry knives. But I am thinking very hard on moving out of Illinois where self defense is a crime.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am
Recently I acquired The Indestructible Umbrella Standard Model Walking Stick Straight Handle Defense which bills itself as "a perfectly legal umbrella/protection device." By virtue of its construction, it will not have the bone-breaking striking power of a cane, but should provide walking assistance and indeed some defensive capabilities... as well as keep the rain off.
I like that, and plan on buying one when the funds open up.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Crux wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:51 pm
That totally depends on the State, but generally if you are physically attacked and fear for your life you can legally wipe out a handgun and blow them away. Now if you keep shooting them while they are down that's another thing. Same as if you abused them with a cane, but if it took deadly force to secure your safety you can beat them until they can't or won't get back up or you are able to escape. Either way it'll be an sheet storm so have a good lawyer. It's also better than being dead.
I really think it depends on a number of factors, primarily where you live.

If you live in a liberal city, county, state, then prepare to be found guilty.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

A week ago I again watched the movie A Bridge Too Far. In it, British Major Allison Digby Tatham-Warter DSO carried an umbrella. In the movie he says it was because he could not remember passwords but everyone knows if he carries an umbrella he must be a Brit.

Further research (Googled him) produced another account where he disabled a German armored vehicle by thrusting the umbrella into the face of the driver through the viewing slot.

Then I Googled "self defense umbrella" or something like that, watched a couple of YouTube Videos and decided to get one. We have had six months of rain here and I wanted an umbrella anyway.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Mac, thank you so much for the umbrella link. Naperville my friend, it grieves me inside that you had to go through that horrible experience in Chicago. I am thankful that you survived but it is grievous to me that the protective authorities treated you the way they did. Do you think if that had been Chicago in say 1890 they would have done the right thing, and patted you on the back for defending yourself, and gone after the violent attackers instead?

Also, can a person get USCCA insurance for self defense even if they do not have a firearm, purely for self defense insurance purposes, or, does one have to have a concealed carry permit firearm?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here in the 1998 remake of The Avengers, John Steed played by Ralph Fiennes dispatches some attackers with his "brolly". https://youtu.be/IjGKv209gAE

In the original 1961 series, Patrick Macnee carried a James Smith & Sons Shaftesbury Slim but only used the hidden sword twice.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm
Mac, thank you so much for the umbrella link. Naperville my friend, it grieves me inside that you had to go through that horrible experience in Chicago. I am thankful that you survived but it is grievous to me that the protective authorities treated you the way they did. Do you think if that had been Chicago in say 1890 they would have done the right thing, and patted you on the back for defending yourself, and gone after the violent attackers instead?

Also, can a person get USCCA insurance for self defense even if they do not have a firearm, purely for self defense insurance purposes, or, does one have to have a concealed carry permit firearm?
My take on the entire situation is that the police officer that arrested me, simply DID NOT want to hear my side of the story, or he would have investigated or questioned more people at the scene. This complete knee jerk reaction to "get to make an arrest" blew the entire issue 180 degrees from a self defense sitrep to one of a nut flashing a knife.

I have no idea what was in the police officers head. He must have been thinking there is more to this, but he did not follow up on it.

The prosecutor would not let me off because I had been arrested 30 YEARS ago!

And, to answer your next question, NO, I do not believe in the criminal justice system. There is no such thing as "justice," we all know that. What I do believe in is gobs and gobs of money and throwing lawyers at the problem until the problem goes away, hence I have USCCA Insurance in case this ever happens again.

USCCA will send a lawyer to help you no matter what the situation is using no weapon, or any legal weapon for self defense.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Forget that umbrella, there's one that you can shoot arrows with.

My Para 3 addiction prevented me from getting one so I settled for this.

Crux

Post by Crux »

I appreciate my grandson doing the strength demo in the last pic. :)