Anti-medicine people really make me sick.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Anti-medicine people really make me sick.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While I do understand that present medicine is not perfect and there is much room for improvement, such as the development of programmable medical nano molecular machines that can be injected into the human body to cure all physical disease and ailments, I am very much against this modern or post modern wave of people who oppose and attack vaccinations and psychological medications. It is very disgusting and sickening.

I do believe there is a place for "natural" cures and vitamins when they work, and alot of pharmaceutical medications found their root in nature, such as Aspirin, but, that being said, people who tell cancer patients not to take chemotherapy, and people who tell mental patients not to take stabilization medications for such proven conditions as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, which have been proven to exist with MRI scans of the areas of the brain, and people who attack the proven vaccination medicine which has saved the lives of millions of men, women, and children, are helping to ruin the lives of countless people.

Don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater", just because there are corrupt people in the global pharmaceutical industry and just because many medicines have negative side effects, does not mean we should throw away the positive aspects of them.

Just look at modern urban areas/cities, and see the multitudes of homeless mental patients and people talking to themselves and who are potentially and sometimes actually violent when off their medication, in both rural and urban communities and you see this.

What do you all say to that? Don't you agree that people who tell cancer patients to stop taking chemotherapy and other proven treatments and instead go for alleged "homeopathic cures" are wrong, and parents and others who are against getting children vaccinated have led to an increase in diseases that were once almost completely gone? Its very sick and wrong.
The Deacon

Re: Anti-medicine people really make me sick.

Post by The Deacon »

I'll agree, the anti-immunization folks are paranoid idiots and a danger both to their families and to their communities. I'm also sure that "alternative medicine cancer cures" probably kill more folks than they help. I can see them as a last resort, when conventional medicine has failed. I can also respect the person who takes them because he or she has made a conscious choice to value quality of life over quantity of life.

As for psychoactive medications, the "problem" I see with them (and one of the reasons I suspect so many go off them) is that they are more for the benefit of the rest of society than for the benefit of the patient. Sure, they reduce or eliminate symptoms, but they often do it by turning the person taking them into little more than a zombie. I'm also of the opinion that both psychology and psychiatry will one day both be relegated to the same boneyard of quackery as phrenology and radon cures.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison.” - Paracelsus

I'm fairly certain this also includes people, as the actions of enough people making stupid decisions can and likely will being about an outbreak of long eradicated diseases. It's not even a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’m going through something similar myself with my daughter in law who is against child immunisation.

I’ve spoken to my son and put my case forward but I don’t like to harp. It’s most concerning that we are starting to see diseases we thought long ago beaten reappearing.

I can certainly understand wanting the very best for our children and not wanting to risk their health and well-being but surely immunisation is the best we have for now and I’m not sure that the alternate lifestylers quite understand that they stand to undo the work of many decades in one generation. It’s certainly a major concern.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The quacks and hacks who put parents off the MMR vaccine, for example, have a lot to answer for.

Whilst freedom to choose is essential, disseminating false information about such things can be no less dangerous than planting bombs.

We have to find a better way of defining and protecting Truth in the “Information Age”.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke, I agree.

It seems that one defining characteristic of the anti-vaccine crowd is an almost criminal short-sightedness of the ramifications of their position, which stems from their ignorance, or (more commonly) denial of, the incalculable benefit vaccines have been to mankind. I have spoken with and argued with a few of these people, and the way they either brush over, or outright deny, the fact that vaccines have saved untold millions of lives and prevented the horrible suffering of millions more is truly disturbing. It is almost enough to make me wonder whether they care more about their own pet theories and ideas than the terrible suffering and death of their fellow humans.

Another point of objection is the impossibility of separating the anti-vaccine doctrine from extreme conspiracy theorism. To my knowledge and experience there is no way to be anti-vaccination without accepting ridiculous conspiracy theories (Big Pharma/doctors want to kill you, etc.), and to me it just adds yet another strike against an already well-debunked myth.

In any case, people vote with their feet. And so I find it quite interesting that so often, the same people who will bash doctors and modern medicine as dangerous and ineffective, apparently see no inconsistency in going to the emergency room or doctor's office when they do have a real life-threatening medical emergency.

The truth is, vaccines and modern medicine as a whole are gifts from God and have been (literally) an incalculable net benefit for mankind, in saving lives and sparing suffering.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Given the active measures the Russian state has been unleashing on the US and others, I would not be surprised to learn its trolls have been fueling the anti-vaxxers, like they did anti-Kaepernicks (see how here: https://securingdemocracy.gmfus.org/a-v ... milton-68/)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

Not every vaccine/medication is worth taking imo. Not not saying you should not get a polio vaccine or stop your schizophrenia meds. After I stopped getting a flu shot (7ish) years ago I had not had the flu since. Once I had a doctor offer me insomnia med that would increase my risk of cancer by something crazy like 50%. Doctors are willing to give out meds/vaccines when there are better and safer alternatives that should be tried first.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Basically all these "so-called" medicines can be replaced with pickle juice and amazingly good BBQ. Boiled peanuts are a plus as they are sort of like antibiotics. Also you can remove warts but sticking them to the frost on the tubes inside your refrigerator. Or any cold outside metal pole for you in the frigid USA. For us in the bawmy South, we just put peanut butter on it and let the ants take care of business.

By the way...if you want to stock up on antibiotics then look at online pet stores to buy fish antibiotics as they are EXACTLY the same as what humans are prescribed, you just have to go online and cross reference it to know what antibiotic you are buying.

I take all my medicines and have all my vaccinations except I WILL NEVER get a flu shot. I've been to Vegas and they have been odds there.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

When I got my flu shot, they told me they had a SPECIAL shot for OLD people wasting all the country's money on silly entitlements. I told them: no thanks, I'll have what you're having.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The vaccine thing is tricky. Kids are expected to get way more shots now than when we were kids. I am not against vaccines but I didn't want to give my son five shots at a visit. Some of them have a strong after effect. His second HepB vaccine really hit him hard. We went on an alternative schedule so he got all his shots but they were more spread out.

As far as western medicine vs homeopathic medicine goes it doesn't seem like much of a debate. You do not have to give up one to have the other. They can work together. At this point it is fairly clear that some stuff on both sides works. It is also pretty obvious at this point that being proactive and taking care of yourself in the first place is the best start.

If you have cancer then go to the doctor and then supplement with whatever natural medicine you want as well. For the common cold, sure, just stick with the homeopathic options if you want to. I used to have a lot of migraine problems and I think I got good results with some natural remedies and lifestyle changes. The meds they wanted to give me were things I didn't want to take. Just use some common sense.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm in no way "anti-medicine" but there are orthodox medical treatments and vaccines that I won't take at all. Western medicine has saved my life on two occasions. One time I was stung by over 30 yellow jackets and I was near death when my neighbor got me to the Emergency Room. But dealing with these conventional vaccines I've personally had bad reactions to two different vaccines in my life and since then I won't take flu shots or any other so called preventative type vaccinations. When it comes to dealing with acute illnesses like the flu or any other types of viruses I have several herbal type remedies that I've had great success with. And bolstering your immune system can be accomplished by natural methods by learning how.

Two things I've found that really are great for bolstering your immune system are "Oil of Oregano" ( Oreganol) and colloidal silver. Now there are cheaper and weaker versions of both of those as well as counterfeits of many other proven herbal and natural remedies>> therefore I do tell everyone who ventures into natural and herbal remedies to educate yourself and talk to people who have knowledge and wisdom of herbal medicines.

Back in 2001 I had a virus that two doctors were puzzled with and they both tried several types of anti-biotics and 3 different types of injections of anti-biotics and anti-viral drugs with no help at all. A very good lady friend of mine told me about "Oil of Oregano" and within two days I was 90% better after fighting that virus for almost 3 months. Within the week I was 100% again. Since then I've used "Oreganol" and other herbal remedies with great success. And recently a very good friend of mine has told me that "hemp oil" has done wonders for him and I plan on checking it out.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

While I respect this conversation, this topic (much like religion and politics) is very polarizing. I think it's best left for a site/forum other than ours. Topic closed.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.