Massdrop R. Laconico Keen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Massdrop R. Laconico Keen

Post by murphjd25 »

Any of you guys have one? Seems to be the hottest knife on the market. You think these are going to sell out anytime soon? Looks really nice, would like to hear some feedback, was thinking about picking one up next month when more funds become available again.
Josh
knivesandbooks

Re: Massdrop R. Laconico Keen

Post by knivesandbooks »

They're supposed to be very good.
I thought about it but eh. Would ultimately be another titanium framelock flipper. I suspect the Advocate is the last I'll buy.

However, the stonewashed ti with the "portals" does look really good. And the not too aggressive spearpoint blade is very reminiscent of those found on traditionals, which I like.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

ThNks for the response. I just checked and think I’m too late to the party anyways. They only have bronze and purple ones left, not my cup of tea!
Josh
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Their knives they have made are almost all made in China. Not paying that for a Chinese knife.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Left to right:
Spyderco Kapara, Massdrop Laconico Keen, Mike Read PITS MK4

I bought one of these from massdrop on the second run. For $139 it’s a **** of a bargain. The quality and craftsmanship is there so it really does feel like it should have cost more than I paid. The knife came with a nice grind and was razor sharp. The action is fantastic and the ergos are good. The pocket clip works well in the pocket and acts as something to grab onto when flipping the blade open. Fit and finish was superb though the scales on mine mark up easily because they were bead blasted. If I could order again I would definitely get the stonewashed bronze ano’d scales. A guy at work bought himself that version and it was just as nice as mine but I think it will hide wear better. Ray’s design is nice and timeless, I really do enjoy his minimal design style. Although I could see some people getting bored of it for something flashier. But I’ve been carrying it since I got it and I’m still enjoying it so far.

Honestly, if you are considering one just do it, you won’t be disappointed. For the money I’d say this is one of the best knives of the year.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I agree with LC. You probably won't have any issue getting one of these for quite a while. Massdrop will milk it if it's popular, and you might see some more color options. Below are my initial impressions from BF...

I've taken delivery of nearly all of the Massdrop We knives and this is the first one to go right in the pocket without hesitation.

Flipping geometry is incredible. Blade is robust but pretty slicey and very thing behind the edge. Shaving sharp out of the box. The detent ball is very close to the lock engagement, which is nice.

The backspacer seems a little weighty but it feels appropriately solid in hand. I too wish the Massdropping of logos on blades didn't exist or was at least more subtle. I'm not into machined clips, but the length and thinness makes it work well.

The finish on the bronze I received is borderline memorizing. Great job overall, and a proper execution IMO.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thanks gentlemen. I’ll keep my eyes open for another drop and on the secondary market. I’m really only interested in the plain gray version, I’m kind of a boring and simple guy!
Josh
Tims

Post by Tims »

I got in on the first run, I think I waited over 6 months for it. Purple with the show side milled channel. I wanted something different than plain titanium. The coating is hard wearing. The only scratches I’ve got were from sharpening the base of the blade on a Hapstone and rubbing on the end of the scales(rushing, careless) and on the pocket clip.

Putting the Chinese manufacturing factor aside, it’s the type of knife that makes you look at other knives at twice the price and question why? The most critical eye couldn’t knock it on fit or finish.

The only gripe I have is with the design. Instead of a hardened stop pin, the blade has a pin that runs in a track milled into the scales. So apon opening that pin slams into unhardened titanium. Over and over and over. It remains to be seen if it causes any significant lock bar travel over time but I hate the thought of it. I assume this was done to stay consistent with Rays simple, clean lines but if it’s at the cost of reliability I think it’s design fault. They could have achieved the same look by having a hidden stop pin running in a milled channel in the blade.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

After lots of thinking, I have too many plain titanium knives in my collection, so I caved when a good deal came up on the exchange for a Bronze Groove. Can’t wait to see what all the fuss is about!
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Putting the Chinese manufacturing factor aside, it’s the type of knife that makes you look at other knives at twice the price and question why?
You can't ask that question while putting aside country of origin.

$150 seems like a lot for a Chinese Ti knife. I can get a Ti Cara Cara well below half of that.

When I look at this knife, I ask why does it cost so much?
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:33 pm
Tims wrote:

Putting the Chinese manufacturing factor aside, it’s the type of knife that makes you look at other knives at twice the price and question why?

$150 seems like a lot for a Chinese Ti knife. I can get a Ti Cara Cara well below half of that.

I guess you would just have to hold one to appreciate the quality mate
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 am
Vivi wrote:
Tims wrote:

Oh I don't doubt that it is a very well executed knife, both in design and fit & finish. It looks like a quality piece, and I've not heard a bad thing about it.

But I do doubt that it's worth 2.5 Titanium Cara Caras, for me, just like I doubt the Sebenza is worth 3.5 Manix XL DLC's, for me.
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 am
Tims wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 am
Vivi wrote:
Tims wrote:

Oh I don't doubt that it is a very well executed knife, both in design and fit & finish. It looks like a quality piece, and I've not heard a bad thing about it.

But I do doubt that it's worth 2.5 Titanium Cara Caras, for me, just like I doubt the Sebenza is worth 3.5 Manix XL DLC's, for me.
I can understand that. I feel the same way about certain knives myself.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Comparing a titanium Byrd knife to this makes zero sense. The blade is S35VN, a serious upgrade per 8Cr13MoV, way more finishing details, ball bearing pivot. I don’t know what grade the Byrd titanium is and how it compares to the titanium on the keen but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was better. How that compares in really world use, again I don’t know. Then Ray has to get his share for the design. $139 is a bargain.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Two Keens out for delivery :)
Josh
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 am
Two Keens out for delivery :)
Congrats. ...hope you like them!

I got the plain purple ( gray was sold out) about 3 weeks ago ! Besides the eternal "free" shipping to California from Massdrop and the loose pivot out of the box...it's typical WE quality construction. The Keen carrys a tad "heavy " for me....but everything else is solid on the knife.
Very impressive for the price.

James
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got the grey one today, hopefully brass shows up tomorrow. This thing is awesome and punches way above my expectations. It is easily up their with some more expensive knives I own. **** this might actually kick my Sebenza out of my pocket for a while. Everything on it is PERFECT.
Josh
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve carried my purple the last few days and agree Murph’, the quality is definately there.

Hows the finish on yours? Is it raw ti with a blasted finish or does it have the WE oil finish?
I wouldn’t mind a grey with holes
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It’s just a blasted finish. Starting to take some snail trails pretty easily. I dig snails.
Josh
Tims

Post by Tims »

Thanks mate, that’s what I wanted to hear.