The Year Of Our Lord 1969

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: The Year Of Our Lord 1969

Post by JD Spydo »

Tdog wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:28 am
Tdog wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm
I have CRS syndrome but remember 69 pretty well. Had a Jeep universal that got traded in for the 69 Toyota Landcruiser. What a great vehicle. Hit the dunes in Daytona routinely. The Toyota and Gates Sand Commando's left other 4WD's behind. It was a great time, could pull people out that were stuck on the beach and pay for a half or full tank of gas. McDonald's, Steak and Shake and the Pier at the boardwalk. Watching the submarine races at night in the dunes with young sweeties was a favorite. The Allman Bro's were starting to make it big. Fond memories (or lack thereof :rolleyes: )
Interesting you mention some of the vehicles you owned during that time. My old boss who I still keep in contact with had 3 cars out of that era. One was an Oldsmobile Tornonado , A Chevelle SS and an original Pontiac GTO. He said he made some pretty good money on a couple of them in the last 3 years. And yes they were all 1969 models.
When I was in high school I drove a 1969 Chevy Nova that I bought from my dad. It was a great and really dependable car. Overall it was a great year for a lot of different makes and models of USA automobiles.
Also 1969 was for all intent and purposes the Beatles broke up in that year. Also getting back to the Manson Family crimes it was without a doubt the most mysterious and to this day the most covered up crime in US history. Again the year of 1969 had so many unusual aspects to it.
In the summer of 69, my brother had just gotten home from boot camp. He bought a new 69 Dodge Coronet RT automatic with the 440 motor. Somewhat a metallic British racing green with white interior. Toooo fast. Classic muscle car. Wish I had it now. I think gas was around 35 cents a gallon. 69 was also the first year of the draft lottery for Viet Nam. In 69 Jackson was 21, and many were running on empty. Fun times until you heard of someone you knew being killed in Viet Nam.
Good points TDog :) You might just as well declare that 1969 was probably the "birth year" for what we know now as "Muscle Cars". Because there was a flood of them that hit the market in that year. Also check out the Barrett-Jackson car auctions>> you'll find out that most cars from 1969 usually fetch big, big prices. Especially stuff like the GTO, original Plymouth Barracuda, The Original Dodge Charger, And Chevy had the Chevelle SS and the Camaro. I can't believe I remember as much of this as I do :o :D I'm not kidding you all in the least bit because 1969 was probably one of the most eventful years of change than any other year in that century. Not only movies that are still talked about to this day but TV shows that were rated as some of the all time best ever too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh by the way 1969 may have been the most unbelievable sports year ever as well,. Not only did the New York Jets upset the heavily favored Baltimore Colts ( with Johnny Unitas) but that was also the year the New York Mets did probably the very biggest upset in World Series history as well ( that was where they got the name "The Miracle Mets"). Because I know two of my dad's friends who lost big money betting on the Baltimore Orioles to win that series. IF I remember right I think there was also a big upset in the NHL that year too ( sorry :o I'm not much of a Hockey fan).

Also getting back to the Manson Family there was a guy that was from my home town of Blue Springs, Missouri who wrote arguably the very best book on the Manson Family because he successfully infiltrated the Family while the big trial was going on that fall. He ended up writing the Book entitled "The Family" and his name is Ed Sanders and he is from my home town. He also headed up a popular rock/folk group at that time called the Fugs who were on the very same record label as Jimi Hendrix ( Reprise). Also Ed Sanders got to be great friends with Sharon Tate's mother Doris Tate. and yeah that all took place in 1969
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

From what you all remember, specifically about the knives back then, I notice there was an "overlap period", in which the common knives were still the "standard traditionals" like Barlows, Stockmans, and the new Back Lock Folding Hunters released from Buck, with a steady supply of copies made in Japan and other places, and, the new crops of more modernized knives with plastic handles and stainless steel blades, such as the Hackman Butterfly knives, various things from Japan, and American and European companies, who began to experiment with mass-produced plastic-handled, stainless steel-bladed knives.

Is that an accurate estimate of the knives that you saw in that middle to late 1960s period, moving on into the 1970s?

And there were also still alot of military surplus knives available from the World Wars such as KaBars and Mark 2s and Pilot Survival knives and assorted bayonets.

Were most knife laws alot more laid back than they are now, especially in large cities and urban areas like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles and London and Sydney?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:18 pm
From what you all remember, specifically about the knives back then, I notice there was an "overlap period", in which the common knives were still the "standard traditionals" like Barlows, Stockmans, and the new Back Lock Folding Hunters released from Buck, with a steady supply of copies made in Japan and other places, and, the new crops of more modernized knives with plastic handles and stainless steel blades, such as the Hackman Butterfly knives, various things from Japan, and American and European companies, who began to experiment with mass-produced plastic-handled, stainless steel-bladed knives.

Is that an accurate estimate of the knives that you saw in that middle to late 1960s period, moving on into the 1970s?
I got my first Ka-Bar when I was about 14. I had a few different folders like Case, Kutmaster, Schrade (when they were sold as top of the line). I had at least 3 Buck Stockmans. The first serious Hunter folder I had in the mid 70s was a twin blade, stag handled Ka-bar that came with a factory leather sheath. During that time period we had access to blades that were adequate to do what you needed to do in regards to hunting and fishing and other outdoor activities. Back then BUCK had a similar status as what Spyderco, Benchmade and Boker all enjoy now. If you have one of BUCK's high end models then "You Were The Man" :cool: And Arkansas Stones were at the pinnacle of sharpening tools back in those days.

I used to carry my folders to school all the time with no worries>> however you just knew better than to do anything stupid with it or else it would be taken away from you and if you had a redneck dad like I had you just knew you were really going to get it when you got home. But most of us never got in trouble with our knives or guns either for that matter. It was truly a completely different paradigm all together back then. I even remember one day at school I was helping two teachers and one of our principals put together an exhibit>> the principal said "do any of you guys have your pocketknife on you?" I immediately handed it to him, he did his cutting and gave it back to me immediately.

The one thing that the police, sheriff or any other LEO's wouldn't put up with is if you were doing something with a gun ( or knife) and you were caught drinking they would take your gun or knife or whatever away from you and sometimes you would get arrested depending on the circumstances. I only know of one guy that ever happened to. We just didn't have school shootings, mall shootings or anything else of that nature back then. Again the entire era was so completely different I could go on for an hour explaining the differences. But at least here where I'm living no police, Sheriff or anyone gives me any trouble with the knives I carry. If you look conservative and dress normal they just don't bother with you at all here in Jackson County. We have so much really bad crime in the city ( Kansas City) that they just don't bother you at all.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 pm
Also getting back to the Manson Family there was a guy that was from my home town of Blue Springs, Missouri who wrote arguably the very best book on the Manson Family because he successfully infiltrated the Family while the big trial was going on that fall. He ended up writing the Book entitled "The Family" and his name is Ed Sanders and he is from my home town. He also headed up a popular rock/folk group at that time called the Fugs who were on the very same record label as Jimi Hendrix ( Reprise). Also Ed Sanders got to be great friends with Sharon Tate's mother Doris Tate. and yeah that all took place in 1969
A bit of little-known trivia: One of the famous people who were questioned after the killings of Sharon Tate and her guests was none other than Bruce Lee. Tate's husband, director Roman Polanski, had been a private martial arts student of Bruce, and IIRC, Lee had accidentally left a pair of glasses at the Cielo Drive house. Apparently, Bruce had trained Polanski in the back yard of the house. Bruce had also trained/choreographed Sharon Tate herself for her role in the Dean Martin movie 'The Wrecking Crew', in which Chuck Norris made his first movie appearance, in a bit part as a heavy. From what I heard, Bruce was quickly ruled out as a suspect.

Bruce had also known Jay Sebring, who was also killed by the Manson Family. It was Sebring, a hairdresser, who had filmed Bruce demonstrating at martial arts tournaments, and had recommended him for the role of Kato in The Green Hornet TV series.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 pm
A bit of little-known trivia: One of the famous people who were questioned after the killings of Sharon Tate and her guests was none other than Bruce Lee. Tate's husband, director Roman Polanski, had been a private martial arts student of Bruce, and IIRC, Lee had accidentally left a pair of glasses at the Cielo Drive house. Apparently, Bruce had trained Polanski in the back yard of the house. Bruce had also trained/choreographed Sharon Tate herself for her role in the Dean Martin movie 'The Wrecking Crew', in which Chuck Norris made his first movie appearance, in a bit part as a heavy. From what I heard, Bruce was quickly ruled out as a suspect.

Bruce had also known Jay Sebring, who was also killed by the Manson Family. It was Sebring, a hairdresser, who had filmed Bruce demonstrating at martial arts tournaments, and had recommended him for the role of Kato in The Green Hornet TV series.
That is an interesting piece of trivia James. Someone else told me years ago about the Bruce Lee connection to that case but I kind of let it go in one ear and out the other. Now that Ed Sanders book I alluded to earlier ( The Family) I think has something about that very detail from what I was told. Because between the two authors Ed Sanders and Jeff Guinn they pretty much covered most of the well known bases on that case.

Another item of interest in the Manson Family murders was the fact that the police initially arrested Garretson who was the gardener and maintenance man of the Cielo Drive property>> and they charged him for all the murders which was stupid beyond belief. I also always found it quite interesting that Roman Polanski was conveniently out of town when the whole thing went down. Supposedly the Manson Family were mad at AbilGail Folger's boyfriend VoyTech Frykowski >>it was said that he was selling drugs in their territory. That was one big theory floating around at the time and I do think that there might be some truth to it because Manson and the rest of the Family had partied in that house on several occasions according to two people in the know.

And Sebring had at one time been Sharon Tate's boyfriend and I found that kind of strange that he would be there with Roman out of town. But that poor Garretson really took **** over that whole ordeal>> he's still alive but had his legs amputated a few years back I heard. There are so many rabbit holes in that case I doubt if anyone except GOD will ever know the truth in that case.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo,
Quentin Tarantino's next movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, is going to be about the Manson murders. It's due out next year. Of course, knowing Tarantino, it will be a revisionist, alternate history along the lines of Inglourious Basterds, as opposed to an accurate portrayal of historical events.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hmm. I accidentally reposted my above post when I tried to edit it, and now I can't delete this unnecessary post. It's odd that this forum doesn't allow me to delete my own post.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

September 1969, out of the Navy, into college.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:56 pm
JD Spydo,
Quentin Tarantino's next movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, is going to be about the Manson murders. It's due out next year.
The Manson Family murders ( Tate-LaBianca Murders) are such an unusual set of crimes that to this day almost 50 years later still have a profound effect on the people of California. Present day California Govenor Jerry Brown is still reacting to the murders as though they happened 2 months ago.

As a hardened criminal Charles Manson up to the day he died was treated almost like a Rock Star still getting anywhere between 200 to 400 letters a week until he finally died in November of 2017. Never has a USA criminal gotten the adoration any where near the fanfare that Manson has gotten in over the past 50 years. In spite of the fact that the crimes were so agregious and disgusting that Manson and the Family members were treated and liked as though they were some type of folk hero. And never has an exhibition of mind control that literally made heartless murdering robots out of 5 relatively normal young people ever been witnessed to the degree it was. And we are talking about an incident that happened way back in the year 1969. And to top everything off those crimes of the Manson Family are still unequaled in overall horror to this very day.

There have been dozens of books, movies and documentaries done in the past 50 years and there is still no let up in spite of everything involved. Again the year 1969 stands out like no other year of that era. After all these years I still can't figure the mindset of the Manson Family. And the unique set of events that transpired in 1969. But I will sure make it a point to see this movie. I just hope it isn't the con job that the book Helter-Skelter was :rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 am
James Y wrote:
JD Spydo,
Quentin Tarantino's next movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, is going to be about the Manson murders. It's due out next year.
The Manson Family murders ( Tate-LaBianca Murders) are such an unusual set of crimes that to this day almost 50 years later still have a profound effect on the people of California. Present day California Govenor Jerry Brown is still reacting to the murders as though they happened 2 months ago.

As a hardened criminal Charles Manson up to the day he died was treated almost like a Rock Star still getting anywhere between 200 to 400 letters a week until he finally died in November of 2017. Never has a USA criminal gotten the adoration any where near the fanfare that Manson has gotten in over the past 50 years. In spite of the fact that the crimes were so agregious and disgusting that Manson and the Family members were treated and liked as though they were some type of folk hero. And never has an exhibition of mind control that literally made heartless murdering robots out of 5 relatively normal young people ever been witnessed to the degree it was. And were talking about an incident that happened way back in the year 1969. And to top everything off those crimes of the Manson Family are still unequaled in overall horror to this very day.

There have been dozens of books, movies and documentaries done in the past 50 years and there is still no let up in spite of everything involved. Again the year 1969 stands out like no other year of that era. After all these years I still can't figure the mindset of the Manson Family. And the unique set of events that transpired in 1969. But I will sure make it a point to see this movie. I just hope it isn't the con job that the book Helter-Skelter was :rolleyes:
I think Linda Ronstadt claimed that when she and Jerry Brown were dating in the late '70s, they met a woman and had lunch with her. She knew a lot about the Manson murders. IIRC, it turned out it was Leslie Van Houton (I think), who was somehow out awaiting some trial. Whoever it was, she ended up going back to prison, of course. They hadn't realized who she was at first. I would have to look up that story, which I believe was mentioned in Linda Ronstadt's biography.

As I edited into my earlier post, any historical movie by Quentin Tarantino will be an alternate, revisionist history, and not an accurate portrayal of events as they happened. There will be a ton of creative license.

IMO, the CIA mind controller Jim Jones was an even bigger monster than Charles Manson was. Charles Manson became a bigger "icon" for whatever sick reason his admirers have, but Jim Jones caused the deaths of far, far more people, directly or indirectly, than Manson ever did. Including influencing parents to poison their own children to death. His 'church' was also based in CA for some time before they relocated to S. America where the real horrors occurred. And perhaps that distance has somewhat softened the horrors of what happened there for many Americans, compared to what Manson and his cult did here. Jim Jones didn't have the 'iconic' googly-eyed monster face with the swastika that Manson had, but he caused the deaths of hundreds of people.

There are a lot of sick people out there. For example, that kid who shot up the Florida school earlier this year has been getting tons of 'love letters' from women and girls around the world. But I apologize for starting to go OT from 1969.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:47 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 am
James Y wrote:
JD Spydo,

As a hardened criminal Charles Manson up to the day he died was treated almost like a Rock Star still getting anywhere between 200 to 400 letters a week until he finally died in November of 2017. Never has a USA criminal gotten the adoration any where near the fanfare that Manson has gotten in over the past 50 years. In spite of the fact that the crimes were so agregious and disgusting that Manson and the Family members were treated and liked as though they were some type of folk hero. And never has an exhibition of mind control that literally made heartless murdering robots out of 5 relatively normal young people ever been witnessed to the degree it was. And were talking about an incident that happened way back in the year 1969. And to top everything off those crimes of the Manson Family are still unequaled in overall horror to this very day.

I think Linda Ronstadt claimed that when she and Jerry Brown were dating in the late '70s, they met a woman and had lunch with her. She knew a lot about the Mansonq murders. IIRC, it turned out it was Leslie Van Houton (I think), who was somehow out awaiting some trial. Whoever it was, she ended up going back to prison, of course. They hadn't realized who she was at first. I would have to look up that story, which I believe was mentioned in Linda Ronstadt's biography.

IMO, the CIA mind controller Jim Jones was an even bigger monster than Charles Manson was. Charles Manson became a bigger "icon" for whatever sick reason his admirers have, but Jim Jones caused the deaths of far, far more people, directly or indirectly, than Manson ever did. Including influencing parents to poison their own children to death. His 'church' was also based in CA for some time before they relocated to S. America. Jim Jones didn't have the 'iconic' googly-eyed monster face with the swastika that Manson had, but he caused the deaths of hundreds of people.
Yeah that would have been Leslie Van Houten because she was able to get a "re-trial" but ultimately got a virtual life sentence in spite of everything. Yeah I remember when Jerry Brown and Linda Ronstadt were an item and there certainly was a lot of controversy surrounding that couple. Good point about Jim Jones because I've always believed that both events were possible MK Ultra, mind control experiments that went completely haywire. Or maybe they didn't>> maybe they went as planned :eek: . When Manson was at McNeil Island Penitentiary back in the early to mid 60s the CIA openly admitted later on that they were doing MK Ultra experiments on those inmates. There were a lot of lawsuits that revealed all of that. Ed Sanders who wrote "The Family" documented that in his book. Also Sanders was the only author that had the guts to go into detail about the Process Church Of the Final Judgement. Because when the trial began you couldn't find any of those people at all>> most of them left the country and never came back.

For years I've been convinced that the entire Manson Family set up was a big mind control experiment that went terribly awry. Because nothing else makes any sense at all. I've been around a lot of drinkers and party animals over the years but I never seen a group of people transformed into mindless killing robots with no remorse or conscience like Tex Watson and the other Family members did. Even the girls in the Family were extremely vicious and heartless to a degree beyond anything I've ever witnessed. I believe that Charlie had the mind control done on him at McNeil Island and he was smart enough to know how to use it on those wayward kids that were considered social outcasts.

Even when Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme attempted to kill President Gerald Ford in 1975 you could easily tell that she wasn't in control of herself at all.
Also there was something else at play there too>> when you take a radical looking hippie girl dressed up like a nun wearing nothing but very bright red clothing and was allowed to get right in President Ford's face with a .45 automatic just doesn't pass the smell test. There were just so many things involved with the FAMILY that we could talk for days about it and still not get to the core of what all went down.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I believe that Manson was mind controlled to become a mind controller. Which sounds odd but isn't, really. Great post, JDS.

There's an interesting book called Weird Scenes Inside The Canyon, by David McGowan. It's about Covert Ops in the 1960s to early '70s music scene in Los Angeles' Laurel Canyon, involving many of the most famous bands/musicians of that time. There is quite a bit about Charles Manson in the book. I honestly never understood why some musicians thought Manson was a talented musician; the admittedly tiny bit of music of his I've heard sucks. If you're interested in this type of stuff, this should definitely be of interest to you. I'll have to reread it again myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Zodiac killer (also in 1969, coincidentally...or not) was also a product of the programs, or some other type of "op".

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting you bring up the Zodiac Killer>> There was an investigator named Howard Davis who was totally convinced that Bruce Davis of the Manson Family was indeed the Zodiac Killer>> but that was proven wrong because his location was 100% accounted for and he was no where near the crime scenes at any time. But many of the composite drawings did show an individual that did look a lot like Bruce Davis.

A guy name Michael Corbin who used to have a paranormal radio show out of Denver CO said he had evidence that the Zodiac Killer was someone who had worked in Military Intelligence. And that might be right on because who ever that guy really was he was without a doubt a super intelligent guy. Because the San Francisco Police and the Feds went all out to catch this guy and he always taunted them and made a complicated game with his secret coded messages he sent to them. It was truly entertainment for whoever really was the Zodiac. I kind of doubt if he is still alive because he would probably be in his 90s if he was. Unless he was a lot younger than most investigators believe he was.

His pattern and MO was very similar to David Berkowitz ( the Son Of Sam Killer). And Berkowitz is another dude that I truly believe was a mind control victim. I heard an interview with Jim Jone's surviving son and his name is Stephan Jones. You can tell in his voice that he truly hated what his dad did and despised him completely. Jone's son seemed like a really intelligent guy and I truly wish him the best. he went on to say that he believed that there was some type of mind control involved. He was lucky and he was playing basketball when it all went down. Even though his dad ordered him to kill himself>> thank GOD the kid had a brain that wasn't washed. How he kept his sanity through all of that is beyond me.

Also take a hard look at all those "Lone Nut Assassins of the 60s and early 70s. Oswald, Sirhan Sirhan, James Earl Ray ect.>> none of them made any sense at all when you look at it in a very objective slant. They never proved to me that any of them had a solid motive to kill any of these high profile politicians. What I'm saying is I tend to believe they were all mind contol slaves. Sirhan swears to this day that he didn't even remember Robert Kennedy and I'm to the point to where I'm beginning to believe him. The guy that shot George Wallace in 1972 was a guy named Bremer and no one knew anything about him at all. But he followed Wallace all over the country staying in 4 star hotels and eating at high dollar restaurants and living like a king while he was stalking George Wallace and his campaign > and he did all of that on a restaurant bus boy salary :confused: :confused: >> They were scared to death that Wallace would give Nixon a serious run for the Presidency and the Powers that be had the game rigged>> that's my theory. Again none of it makes any sense at all. The mind control theory truly is plausible in all those cases if you check them out thoroughly.

This thread is about the year 1969>> and just look at how much of this stuff went down in the year 1969>> don't believe me please check it out for yourself. I think you all will be surprised at what you find out. Oh one last item>> there was a very smart Jewish lady named Mae Brussell and you can pull up all the Youtube videos of her's and she was saying all that about mind control all the way back to the early 70s. I didn't even find out about her until about 8 years ago. And she and her daughter both died under really weird circumstances. Bottom line>> the truth is a very dangerous thing to expose.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Here you go, JD ... April ‘69. :cool:

https://youtu.be/zUQiUFZ5RDw
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Here you go, JD ... April ‘69. :cool:

https://youtu.be/zUQiUFZ5RDw
Hey BLOKE!! I used to have that album. That's the one that has the tune called "Born On The Bayou". The bass player for Creedence married the sister of a good friend of mine who lived here in Blue Springs, MO USA. I think the Creedence bass player's name was Stu Cook if I remember correctly. Because that was all the way back to the early 70s when they got hitched.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was hugely popular in this part of the USA>> they kind of borderlined on "Country-Rock" genre>> Them and Lynard Skynard were both super popular in the 70s especially.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 pm
Lynard Skynard were both super popular in the 70s especially.
With me too Joe!

https://youtu.be/hRavC8CjRL0
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 pm
Lynard Skynard were both super popular in the 70s especially.
With me too Joe!

https://youtu.be/hRavC8CjRL0
Well BLOKE I'm just a bit surprised>> especially with Angus Young being your first cousin :D I thought you were an avid ACDC fan for sure :eek: I could have swore I heard you humming the lyrics of "Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" one day on the FORUM :D I bet you were also a big Johnny Rotten, Sex Pistol's fan back in the day :D

No BLOKE you never struck me as a "Luciano Pavrotti" type guy :o :D Hmmm?? I wonder if any of those guys were born in 1969???? :rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I didn't really understand this back in '69, but I've always liked the song anyway:

https://youtu.be/oublWjc7ukU

*Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos on this forum.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:00 pm
I didn't really understand this back in '69, but I've always liked the song anyway:

https://youtu.be/oublWjc7ukU

*Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos on this forum.
I've always liked "Donovan Leitch myself. I used to have his "Open Road" LP that had a lot of great songs on it. He was an excellent song writer and he had a big fan base here in the USA until about the mid 70s. He kind of faded away in the mid 70s. He was also on the government's list of "undesirables" because of his "anti Viet Nam" sentiment. But he wasn't the only rock star in that boat. But if you got on Nixon's list they could make your life pretty miserable.

Check out the Open Road LP. Oddly enough I think that the "OPEN ROAD" LP was recorded in 1969. He was also really good buddies with John Lennon, David Peel, Abbey Hoffman and several other anti-war radicals. But he was a great musician. It's really kind of strange that hardly no one ever talks about him anymore :confused: :confused: Because he was hugely popular back in those days.

I just had a friend here visiting me tell me that DONAVAN did a concert here in KC in the fall of 1969. He remembers because he said he attended it.

If you or any of the rest of you get a chance to check out Ed Sanders the guy who wrote the book entitled "THE FAMILY" which is arguably one of the very best books written on the Manson Family. He also was the leader of a popular rock/folk group called The FUGS. He is from my home town and he has also written several books of poetry. He had a book store in New York City in the late 60s called the "Peace Eye" book store. I think you all will find Mr. Sanders a most interesting person. And a big player in the 1960s radical, counter-culture movement.