The Year Of Our Lord 1969

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Daveho

Re: The Year Of Our Lord 1969

Post by Daveho »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Even though I was only 6 in 1969, by that age I was already up on the current pop music. My older brother and sister always had the radio on, and both had record collections.

I'm glad I came up during the musical era of the '60s, '70s and '80s, as it was happening. The good stuff from back then still holds up brilliantly today; in fact, some songs I used to think were 'meh' back then sound great now. No offense intended to anyone who came later, but I don't see any of today's stuff from people like Jay Z, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, etc., etc., still holding up 40-50 years from now, like the old stuff.
That's truly a most interesting and insightful observation Jim>> because tell me this>> what other female vocalist in this modern time that you could compare to Janis Joplin or Joan Baez? What guitar players in this present time could you put up against the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana? Show me a current day rock group that puts on a show as great as Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple or any of the great 70s rock bands for that matter?

I too feel privileged to have gotten to see everything that I saw that transpired during that era. And again try and name any other year in which so many historical events took place as they did in the year 1969? Even goofball Richard Nixon becoming president had a lot of interesting aspects to it as he was inaugurated in January of 1969.

I'm not at all trying to be a snob but other than Taylor Swift there isn't anyone on those you listed that appeal to me very much at all. Many of the modern rock groups I did like in the modern era were mostly in the late 90s, early 2000s like Nickelback, Soundgarden, Jackyl and Linkin Park>> but even none of them I don't feel can compete with the old masters of the 60s/70s. Even Country & Western isn't nearly as good as it was when we had Johnny Cash, Tony Jo White, Jerry Reed and Meryl Haggard>> now I did kind of like Garth Brooks back in the 90s but even he wasn't as good as most of those I mentioned. People just seemed to be more realistic in those days and artists took their trades a lot more seriously back then and I really don't know why either :confused:
Rose tinted glasses there-
The technical skill of musicians continues to grow but the world is a very different place to how it was then.
Though it’s not my typical taste a quick google of current metal guitarists using microtonal guitars with 7,8,9+ strings in arrangements that require a staggering amount of technical skill will leave you in awe.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Even though I was only 6 in 1969, by that age I was already up on the current pop music. My older brother and sister always had the radio on, and both had record collections.

I'm glad I came up during the musical era of the '60s, '70s and '80s, as it was happening. The good stuff from back then still holds up brilliantly today; in fact, some songs I used to think were 'meh' back then sound great now. No offense intended to anyone who came later, but I don't see any of today's stuff from people like Jay Z, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, etc., etc., still holding up 40-50 years from now, like the old stuff.
That's truly a most interesting and insightful observation Jim>> because tell me this>> what other female vocalist in this modern time that you could compare to Janis Joplin or Joan Baez? What guitar players in this present time could you put up against the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana? Show me a current day rock group that puts on a show as great as Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple or any of the great 70s rock bands for that matter?

I too feel privileged to have gotten to see everything that I saw that transpired during that era. And again try and name any other year in which so many historical events took place as they did in the year 1969? Even goofball Richard Nixon becoming president had a lot of interesting aspects to it as he was inaugurated in January of 1969.

I'm not at all trying to be a snob but other than Taylor Swift there isn't anyone on those you listed that appeal to me very much at all. Many of the modern rock groups I did like in the modern era were mostly in the late 90s, early 2000s like Nickelback, Soundgarden, Jackyl and Linkin Park>> but even none of them I don't feel can compete with the old masters of the 60s/70s. Even Country & Western isn't nearly as good as it was when we had Johnny Cash, Tony Jo White, Jerry Reed and Meryl Haggard>> now I did kind of like Garth Brooks back in the 90s but even he wasn't as good as most of those I mentioned. People just seemed to be more realistic in those days and artists took their trades a lot more seriously back then and I really don't know why either :confused:
Rose tinted glasses there-
The technical skill of musicians continues to grow but the world is a very different place to how it was then.
Though it’s not my typical taste a quick google of current metal guitarists using microtonal guitars with 7,8,9+ strings in arrangements that require a staggering amount of technical skill will leave you in awe.
Not rose tinted glasses, but different tastes. I've seen some of the current metal guitarists, but still find the classic rock (and other) music of the '60s to '80s era is still more memorable. Yes, there is still some great music being created OUTSIDE of the mainstream pop music scene, but none of the songs are as distinctive or as memorable as the golden era. In terms of technical mastery, I'm much more impressed by this (Ravi Shankar, at the 1967 Monterey Pop Music Festival). The sitar has from 18 to 21 strings. This video shows only a portion of his performance that day:

https://youtu.be/HsuFlxxrX8k

In regards to modern mainstream pop music, they use complex dance choreography and performances to draw attention away from the fact that the creativity and distinctiveness of the music and the singing has gone way down. Sure, most of the singers of the past would probably never win on The Voice or American Idol or whatever. Nowadays, it's considered essential to do vocal acrobatics and to trill one's voice as high and as long as possible to impress with their vocal range. In many cases, trying to impress at the expense of imbuing real feeling/emotion/meaning into a song. There is a lot more to making great music than complex technical skill; many great songs were very simple. But there were also many musicians of the past who also had great technical mastery, as well as artistic creativity in making original and distinctive songs.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When you look at all the rock, pop, country and top 40 releases in the year 1969 again it was a truly pivotal year for music and theatre and the arts as well.

And when you look at who was really taking off in 1969 it was music geniuses like Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin, Joan Baez and probably about 3 dozen more great artists I remember. Heck the WOODSTOCK rock festival was in 1969 and most people don't remember that>> and I don't have to go into detail about the powerhouse line up of super talent that was at WOODSTOCK.

I think it was also 1969 when John Lennon launched his "Plastic Ono Band" concert in Toronto Canada and they were short lived but a very successful group needless to say.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The idea of older music is just better because of some vague idea of authenticity is silly, it’s the no true Scotsman argument.
Plenty of artists made crap then as they do now-
There are plenty of artists putting out fantastic content but the way it is delivered and consumed is very different.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:14 pm
true Scotsman
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
The idea of older music is just better because of some vague idea of authenticity is silly, it’s the no true Scotsman argument.
Plenty of artists made crap then as they do now-
There are plenty of artists putting out fantastic content but the way it is delivered and consumed is very different.
NO!!! I've been there and seen dozens of concerts from the late 60s all the way to the mid 80s and I can tell you first hand that the paradigm of rock music and the craft and talent that went into those concerts I seen in person over the years was far more artistic and talent driven than anything I've seen of late>> or anything I've heard about lately from friends and family who keep up with the entertainment scene here in Kansas City. A good friend of mine took his daughter to see Madonna when she was here in Kansas City at the Sprint Center about 3 years ago. Not only did their seats cost a king's ransom but he told me that he was shocked at how amateurish the concert was compared to some of the older stuff him and I and others we ran with used to see back in the old days. He also said his daughter expected better as well and she was only 15 at the time of the show.
Also back in 2015 when the Rolling Stones came to KC at Arrowhead Stadium ( where the Chiefs play) and 3 old friends of mine went ( tickets costing $200+) and they said they were sorely disappointed at the sound quality and that the Stones were no where near as entertaining as they were when we saw them here at Municipal Auditorium here in KC back in the 1972 tour>> which by the way is still considered one of the Stones most successful and celebrated USA tours of all time. And I got that confirmation in an extensive article in Rolling Stone magazine a few years back when they did a comparison of most of their big USA tours.
No dude I'm not basing it only on my own personal experience which is a big factor but I'm also getting it from several local sources and friends who agree with what I'm saying>> and many of them have gone to a few shows in the past 5 years or so. Oh one last thing>>I seen many of these older concerts from several big time, big name rock bands in person in those golden years>> and I've seen them in person live and most of the time I had good connections and excellent seats at most of those gigs in the 70s & 80s. Don't mean to be rude or arrogant but I do know what they did then during that era versus what is happening in this present time. The overall quality of these shows has diminished unfortunately. And I've talked to several people that have went to many concerts here in Kansas City over the decades as well as recent shows many have told me about and the quality was far better then than it is now. I seen a lot with my own eyes before a lot of you guys were even born for that matter. Case Closed!!!!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I have no doubt that the quality of concerts put on by rock bands of the 60s and 70s has deteriorated but that could also be due to the performers being several decades older and deteriorating themselves.
The technology of live performances hasn’t deteriorated but the quality of people doing 60s music may have however.
music overall is the same- good stuff and bad stuff is getting made, what’s popular has changed however.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

There's a lot of cool things about this thread. There are also quite a few instances of crossing a line that we ask everyone to respect. Refer to my post that is pinned if you must. I'll leave this thread open and intact but please, abide by our rules. I don't enjoy having to nag or edit but if it continues, this thread won't.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Did we mention that the New York Jets with Broadway Joe Namath as QB won the Superbowl in 1969. Also in sports in year of 1969 the Miracle Mets won the World Series >> Yeah New York won both of the big dances that year of 1969. Can't remember last when one city got it all.

Getting back to the late Charles Manson he almost inked a recording contract with Doris Day's son no less>> I.e. Terry Melcher>> But thankfully people persuaded Mr. Melcher otherwise. And most detectives believed that Charlie wasn't actually after Sharon Tate at all and that it was actually Terry Melcher he was wanting to get who had moved out of that same house previously before Sharon Tate and her husband (Roman Polanski) moved in. Most people in the know believed it was actually indeed Terry Melcher he was after for snubbing him out of a recording contract. Yeah the truth is much stranger than fiction in that most unusual crime case :confused:

And how did a three time convict i.e. Charles Manson end up rubbing noses with all the Hollywood elite to begin with :confused: ? His party friend list read like a list you would see in "People" or "Rolling Stone" magazines :confused: >>> funny that the authorities said little about that one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm
Daveho wrote:
true Scotsman
Good Grief BLOKE you must have taken that pic in San Francisco :eek: :D And BLOKE tell us what else went on in the great country of Australia during the year 1969? That's one heck of an astronomy lesson you gave us there BLOKE>> never seen so many "Moons" as I did in that pic :o
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 am
Getting back to the late Charles Manson he almost inked a recording contract with Doris Day's son no less>> I.e. Terry Melcher>> But thankfully people persuaded Mr. Melcher otherwise. And most detectives believed that Charlie wasn't actually after Sharon Tate at all and that it was actually Terry Melcher he was wanting to get who had moved out of that same house previously before Sharon Tate and her husband (Roman Polanski) moved in. Most people in the know believed it was actually indeed Terry Melcher he was after for snubbing him out of a recording contract. Yeah the truth is much stranger than fiction in that most unusual crime case :confused:

And how did a three time convict i.e. Charles Manson end up rubbing noses with all the Hollywood elite to begin with :confused: ? His party friend list read like a list you would see in "People" or "Rolling Stone" magazines :confused: >>> funny that the authorities said little about that one.
Both Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys and Neal Young (and many of the other L.A.-based musicians of the late '60s) thought that Manson was a great musician. But the admittedly little of Manson's music and singing I heard didn't sound great at all. I believe Neal Young in particular was so impressed with Manson that he tried to help him get a recording contract.

I think I mentioned the book Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon by David McGowan, that goes into all the weird stuff involving the musicians and the music scene of 1960s and 70s Laurel Canyon. There's a lot of very bizarre and disturbing stuff that would never make it into official histories of the Laurel Canyon scene that is not supposition but is culled from facts.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:44 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 am

Both Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys and Neal Young (and many of the other L.A.-based musicians of the late '60s) thought that Manson was a great musician. But the admittedly little of Manson's music and singing I heard didn't sound great at all. I believe Neal Young in particular was so impressed with Manson that he tried to help him get a recording contract.

I think I mentioned the book Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon by David McGowan, that goes into all the weird stuff involving the musicians and the music scene of 1960s and 70s Laurel Canyon. There's a lot of very bizarre and disturbing stuff that would never make it into official histories of the Laurel Canyon scene that is not supposition but is culled from facts.
I've heard of the David McGowan book but I've never read it>> however I doubt if there's much in it that I haven't gone over already. There was a really exhaustive website back about 10 years ago>> it was >> mansonfamilytoday.info <<. The guy that did that website knew that entire cast of characters inside and out. He got bad in health and ultimate died I think around 2011 from what I was told. The website unfortunately ceased to exist in early 2010. But that guy knew more than probably anyone did about that case. I had never seen anyone else even come close to bringing forth vital and pertinent information about the Manson Family and the events of the late 60s surrounding that entire affair to the degree that he was able to unravel it all. To combine what he presented along with Ed Sander's book "The Family" and with the book written by Adam Gorightly about Manson >> all of that information together make's Vincent Bugliosi's "HELTER SKELTER" book look like it was done by a JR. High School student :rolleyes: Not to mention the incredible amount of inaccuracies in Bugliosi's book which has been proven full of errors and disinformation by several credible sources.

But in a way I can't be too mad at Bugliosi because they had him extremely compartmentalized and at a terrible disadvantage>> and if it hadn't of been for Susan Atkins and Linda Kasabian turning into snitches he would never have had even as much as 10% of what he would have needed to convict those family members for the horrendous crimes they did at Cielo Drive ( The TATE House). And a lot of people don't realize that Manson's second personal court appointed defense attorney ( Irving Kanarek) almost got the case thrown out of court as it was. Bottom line::: No Linda Kasabian>> then all of them would have went free. And even with her extremely rigid and brave 8 hour testimony it still wasn't a slam dunk by any means. That's why to this day I get so very angry with Debra Tate ( Sharon's sister)>> she did not want Linda Kasabian to have immunity :rolleyes: which is stupid beyond belief because without her especially not one of them would have done any significant jail time.

They came close to blowing it in one way trying to put all the focus on the Manson>> because just like Mae Brussell said>> It was truly the TEX WATSON trials much more than it was the Manson trials. Tex was the key boogie man no matter how you look at it.

This is truly another classic case of the TRUTH being much stranger than even the wildest fiction. Again it all happened in the year of our Lord 1969
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hey, Joe.

I've ordered the book The Family, should be here in about a week.

Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon is not specifically about the Manson Family; that's only one bit of the stuff mentioned. Most of it's about the musicians themselves, which I found fascinating, like how seemingly all of the musicians' parents were involved in military intelligence, and how for some reason none of them were ever drafted. Or that they mostly seemed immune from being arrested for drugs, even though it was common knowledge they were all doing drugs (except for Frank Zappa, who wanted to 'stay in control'). The authorities could have easily cracked down on all of them at any time, so why didn't they? And how L.A. was not a center for the music industry, or even had much of one, until for some reason all these musicians, from almost identical backgrounds, all inexplicably decided to migrate to CA and more specifically, Laurel Canyon. There's actually a lot of stuff I found more fascinating than Manson's involvement in the scene.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 pm
Hey, Joe.

I've ordered the book The Family, should be here in about a week.

Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon is not specifically about the Manson Family; that's only one bit of the stuff mentioned. Most of it's about the musicians themselves, which I found fascinating, like how seemingly all of the musicians' parents were involved in military intelligence, and how for some reason none of them were ever drafted. Or that they mostly seemed immune from being arrested for drugs, even though it was common knowledge they were all doing drugs (except for Frank Zappa, who wanted to 'stay in control'). The authorities could have easily cracked down on all of them at any time, so why didn't they? And how L.A. was not a center for the music industry, or even had much of one, until for some reason all these musicians, from almost identical backgrounds, all inexplicably decided to migrate to CA and more specifically, Laurel Canyon. There's actually a lot of stuff I found more fascinating than Manson's involvement in the scene.
Laurel Canyon was the scene for a lot of strange stuff that went on in the 60s. Even musician John Mayall did an album entitled "Laurel Canyon Blues" in regards to a lot of events that took place there. It was in a deposition that the "Son Of Sam" killer ( David Berkowitz) in the New York City area in the 1970s he said that the satanic coven he belonged to that many members of the coven had meetings at Laurel Canyon. He also said that the coven had tentacles all over the USA and to some degree it was confirmed in Maury Terry's book "The Ultimate Evil". In Bugliosi's book ( Helter Skelter) they mentioned something about a dead body they found at Laurel Canyon had something to do with a string of crimes attributed to the Manson Family.

A lot of big name Rock Stars were known to hang out there and I think Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez both lived close to the Canyon. Yeah there was truly a fascination about the place and it was a "Mecca" for all kinds of activity for musicians and actors. I might be wrong but I believe that album of John Mayalls was recorded in 1969 oddly enough :confused:>> also Big Sur was another one of those places that people in that group were drawn to.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Very unimportant, but nevertheless: I was born in Oct. 1969, so I´ll turn 50 this year (2019 of course) ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 am
Very unimportant, but nevertheless: I was born in Oct. 1969, so I´ll turn 50 this year (2019 of course) ;)
Happy Birthday to you Wartstein my friend.

I have a question: Is this most likely true? Someone from Austria who lived all over Europe told me that there was a "miniature knife making revolution" between the 1950s and 1980s in Austria and Germany, when various makers produced some of the best knives in the world at the time, right before alot of the move to overseas production.

He said that the stainless steel they made was some of the best in the world and even to this day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 am
Funny you would mention that because recently I discovered that I have 3 really good friends/acquaintances of mine that have recently informed me that they were born in 1969 as well. Most people just don't realize how much went down in that particular year that truly changed the USA forever. There were so many changes in Music, Theatre, science and a plethora of other fields as well. I challenge all of you to compare 1969 to any other year within ten years of it on either side and you'll soon see how special that year was.

I was going to make a short list of all the important record albums that were released in 1969 but after checking out 2 different websites I found that it is such a long list that it would be a "thread" in itself. Some of the movies like Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy and the original M.A.S.H. just to name a few are all still iconic and in demand to this very day.