Tormec Sharpening

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Tormec Sharpening

Post by Naperville »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 pm
I've owned a TORMEK for almost 9 years now. I got mine from the people at "www.sharptoolsusa.com">> they used to be here close to where I live but they moved to somewhere in South Missouri. They were great to deal with and I was sad to see them go out of the area. The TORMEK is a high quality, low speed wet grinder.

I originally bought it to sharpen woodworking tools because 10 years ago I was doing some of that and I discovered it was by far the best sharpening tool for all kinds of edged tools like axes, machetes, hatchets and lawnmower blades just to name a few.
How does it work with Spyderco high carbide Steels?

What wheel do you use?

I just saw a video that states it is not good for folding knives is this true?
I told you above to contact Pete of Cedric and Ada. He has a Tormek and has reviewed it and uses it to sharpen many dozens if not hundreds of different knives that he then tests in cut tests. He can answer all of your questions.

My best guess is that the Tormek with the right stone can sharpen anything. Pete also uses a KME and many different stones. He has videos in his channel of him testing and reviewing all of these systems.
Yes you did and I thank you for that. I love his channel (even prior to your suggestion and was delighted it was he you were suggesting and thought to myself ah now this Naperville has supplied some great insight. )and just watched a video of him using the KME when he got to the Tormec he only used the buffing wheel.

I will most certainly follow your kind advice and contact him but am wanting to hear form actual Spyderco users who are most likely to be present here. To me Spyderco users are first sharpening peoples opinions second as they usually go to the kitchen knife.

I am guessing you are right, it can likely sharpen anything with he right stones and the right attachments. What they are however is the question Thank you very much.
My bad. I came off too harsh, and that was not my desire.

Glad that I was able to help! I think Pete is very outgoing, the only problem being reaching him.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:47 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm

How does it work with Spyderco high carbide Steels?

What wheel do you use?

I just saw a video that states it is not good for folding knives is this true?
I told you above to contact Pete of Cedric and Ada. He has a Tormek and has reviewed it and uses it to sharpen many dozens if not hundreds of different knives that he then tests in cut tests. He can answer all of your questions.

My best guess is that the Tormek with the right stone can sharpen anything. Pete also uses a KME and many different stones. He has videos in his channel of him testing and reviewing all of these systems.
Yes you did and I thank you for that. I love his channel (even prior to your suggestion and was delighted it was he you were suggesting and thought to myself ah now this Naperville has supplied some great insight. )and just watched a video of him using the KME when he got to the Tormec he only used the buffing wheel.

I will most certainly follow your kind advice and contact him but am wanting to hear form actual Spyderco users who are most likely to be present here. To me Spyderco users are first sharpening peoples opinions second as they usually go to the kitchen knife.

I am guessing you are right, it can likely sharpen anything with he right stones and the right attachments. What they are however is the question Thank you very much.

Glad that I was able to help! I think Pete is very outgoing, the only problem being reaching him.
It is okay I know what it is like when askholes ( askhole = a person who asks the same thing over and over again your good efforts go down a dark hole) refuse to listen.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:47 pm
Naperville wrote:

It is okay I know what it is like when askholes ( askhole = a person who asks the same thing over and over again your good efforts go down a dark hole) refuse to listen.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas
A very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

And a very merry Christmas to you and yours as well!