Most Rust-Resistant Carbon Steel?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Most Rust-Resistant Carbon Steel?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What is the most rust-resistant carbon steel you all know of that retains the toughness and springiness and ease of sharpening of carbon steel, while being as close as possible to true stainless steel in rust and corrosion-resistance?
Crux

Re: Most Rust-Resistant Carbon Steel?

Post by Crux »

Almost all steels are carbon based to some degree. There are exceptions like H-1 and uh, that's all. Your best bet is LC200N which has ~.3% carbon or if you can find it in Cronodour 30, Vanax 35 or 75.

Based on the blokes testing the steel and posting here I'd recommend LC200N. Now, the real problem is that there isn't an LC200N Para 3 so I'm kinda at a loss of words at this point. :(
Last edited by Crux on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Crux wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:32 am
Almost all steels are carbon based to some degree. There are exceptions like H-1 and uh, that's all. Your best best is LC200N which has ~.3% carbon or if you can find it in Cronodour 30, Vanax 35 or 75.

Based on the blokes testing the steel and posting here I'd recommend LC200N. Now, the real problem is that there isn't an LC200N Para 3 so I'm kinda at a loss of words at this point. :(
Then this is something you, I, and other Paramilitary fans have to keep on asking and petitioning until we get what we desire. Here is the thing that I have not told you about the PM and Military: I do not have one because while I love the Endura and other knives, I have been waiting for a LC200N bladed version with FRN grip to come out. When it does, by the grace of God, I would seek to purchase one. These are my two "grail knives": A Spyderco Paramilitary and Spyderco Military with Lc200N stainless steel blades and Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon Handle Grips. Sal, you, and David convinced me. Now how long until we see this?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Kind of like asking which motorcycle is the best boat? ...what we refer to as HC, carbon, or high-carbon steel here is usually low-alloy (as opposed to more complex alloy content tool steels) steel with only trace amounts of chromium or nickel (the most common elements added to steel in order to increase rust resistance), the "carbon" part being the addition of about .5% or more of carbon in order to promote hardenability and carbide formation.

So, no steel that falls under that general description is going to resist corrosion much at all... now stuff like CruWear, D2 or that T508 carbinox you posted about, that have enough chromium in their makeup to give a bit of resistance, bridge between HC and true stainless, but most people would call them tool steel rather than high carbon.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you, that explains it well. Carbon Steel --> Tool Steel --> Stainless Steel.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm
Thank you, that explains it well. Carbon Steel --> Tool Steel --> Stainless Steel.
This literally answers everything! thankyou for this and indeed the above post which this summary came from.

Ive often wondered why in this day and age we have to compromise on the desired parameters
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bigboned wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm
This literally answers everything! thankyou for this and indeed the above post which this summary came from.

Ive often wondered why in this day and age we have to compromise on the desired parameters

Technology is always a work in progress, the compromises we have in blade steel characteristics today are less limiting than just a few years ago (at least in terms of how available exotic alloys and powder metal processed steels have become in blade stock).

SEF tends to spitball lots of "what if" technologies here in the OT forum, most are science fiction today, but some may well be reality in the future. I fully expect that blade steels will continue to be refined in terms of combining more of each beneficial parameter, though physics will dictate hard limits on how much can ultimately be achieved...

Stay tuned, Sal and Eric will undoubtedly keep showcasing the newest refinements in Spyderco's lineup!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

awa, when it comes to coating materials to protect carbon steel from corrosion, from what you know and what you have read, what do you think is the most durable for a wide range of uses, and which is reasonably safe for the user if they want to cut up food materials over a long term? Would it be some form of ceramic or nitride coating?