Tips for purchasing OLD knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Tips for purchasing OLD knives?

Post by vivi »

I'm interested in finding a knife over 100 years old to carry once in a while to put to very light use. Opening mail, cutting string, that sort of thing. Thinking Civil War era, or if possible, earlier.

Looking around on ebay I see some that fit the bill, but I was curious if you folks had any suggestions for how to verify what I am buying is the real deal?

for example, this auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIL-WAR-PERI ... :rk:9:pf:0

civil war era folder for $20 obviously screams fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Antique-180 ... 100623.m-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1800s- ... 1582266861

Those two look more legit, but I can't find any info on manhattan cutlery.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Re: Tips for purchasing OLD knives?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well VIVI I don't know if this is up your alley or not>> but since I had my radical knee surgery back in May I've not been able to do much hard, demanding work but I've been hitting the thrift stores here locally where I live and on at least 4 occasions very recently I've hit the JackPOT :cool: Finding high end J.A. Henckel, Wustof, Messermeister ect>> and most of them I haven't paid over two dollars tops. I got two excellent grade WUSTHOF ( German made) culinary blades for .87 cents each.

Yeah I know I"ve been doing legal shoplifting while most of these thrift store managers don't even have a clue as to what they actually have. Now I know they aren't 100 year old relics like you're after but I still think that it does require a certain amount of skill to differentiate between quality and rip-mart, dime store type blades.

It's blown my mind what turns up in these thrift stores. I used to think that thrift stores were nothing but a big waste of time>> and you don't score every time you go there>> but I do hit paydirt about 50 to 60% of the time. Just tonight I got back from the Thrift store and scored a $100+ pair of USA made, New Balance running shoes for $11>> and these shoes were practically new. But again you just got to keep hitting them as a matter of routine. It is unbelievable the knives and hardware that turns up in these thrift stores and garage sales.

OK those are my tips for purchasing old knives :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I buy a lot of 60's and 70's knives and can find many like new or even NOS in the packaging they came in. I have knives that I know go back to the 1930's but not really any experience with the ones you are looking for. My suggestion is try to look up old catalogs posted online to narrow down what you like and want. Then it's a matter of waiting for the one(s) you want. E bay makes things easier. Before E bay it took me over 15 years to find one knife I looked for continuously at stores and every gun show that came by this area. I finally found it through networking on the gun show circut from another dealer who sold me one from her deceased husbands collection because she knew me from the shows as a customer and another dealer for a good ten years.

There is always one guy on BF ( or other hangout) that will be willing to outbid you when they come up. Instead of getting in bidding wars with a guy like that try to work with him helping each other out. For niche collectors networking is the way to go.

Joe
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here are some from Atlanta Cutlery that are authentic 1800s "Patch Knives" that were used for cutting cloth patches for the old muzzle loading guns.

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/original ... atch-knife

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/gurkha-o ... atch-knife

I would like to see a review of these when they are cleaned up and sharpened and used.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it best to do some research into knives of the period before spending money for something that isn't what you thought it was.
https://www.collectorbookstore.com/US-M ... 273-x2.htm
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc and JD and others: Do you think it is still possible for a person to go to a flea market or low cost antique store and find a very old as in 1800s and before knife or dagger that is in good condition and is inexpensive but good quality for either collector use or actual cutting use or at this point such things are either very rusty and unsuitable or would be too expensive as many thousands of dollars or more?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

SEF, all things are possible. But it is unlikely.
Also, unless you're really knowledge, the chances of you being ripped off are very high. Documentation would be the best, but most won't have any.

That being said, you can find some great old gems for great prices. The old Schrade Walden's are out there and those are great. Other brands from the 30's, 40's, and 50's too. I recently found an old Ka-Bar camping knife for about $30 at an antique store. Think really really nice swiss army knife. It was from the fifties or early sixties if I recall from a google search. I passed on it because it was a bit over sharpened on the blade but every thing else was pristine and the spring was still very snappy.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

Nothing is more important than quality and durability. Do crosscheck it when purchasing any old item.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm
Doc and JD and others: Do you think it is still possible for a person to go to a flea market or low cost antique store and find a very old as in 1800s and before knife or dagger that is in good condition and is inexpensive but good quality for either collector use or actual cutting use or at this point such things are either very rusty and unsuitable or would be too expensive as many thousands of dollars or more?
Of all the thrift store searching I've done in the past two years I've not found any knives out of the 1800s. I doubt if any of the knives I've looked at in these local thrift stores are over 40 years old at the very most. I do have a friend who collects Civil War era items but I've never asked him where he finds his treasures. I do know that he goes to a lot of "estate auctions" and that might be where he does the most good. I hardly have no interest at all in items that are that old.

I am finding it interesting that I'm finding so many German made knives at thrift stores. It blows me away that homeowners and thrift store managers neither one seem to have any idea of what knives are quality made. I guess it's good for me to find these great quality culinary knives but sometimes I feel like I'm taking candy from a baby with his hands tied :o

I do know that BOKER and F. Dick ( both German knife companies) have made knives since the 1800s but I've not yet found either brand with a knife that old. I would bet that most stuff that old becomes family heirlooms. I'm think that these estate auctions are probably your best bet for finding stuff that old.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Duck into a butcher shop and ask the butchers if they have any old knives at home.

I have many as I was a butcher and my Dad was also.
Have a few boxes of old knives choppers and steels.

The ones you want to jump on like a fat kid on a candy bar.

GUSTAV EMIL ERN

;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderEdgeForever

standy99 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 pm
Duck into a butcher shop and ask the butchers if they have any old knives at home.

I have many as I was a butcher and my Dad was also.
Have a few boxes of old knives choppers and steels.

The ones you want to jump on like a fat kid on a candy bar.

GUSTAV EMIL ERN

;)
VERY COOL! This sounds like a good idea. Do you think as long as one is sincere and willing to purchase what they may have set aside, as far as older, used knives, goes, most professional butchers will not be offended if one asks them for this? And do you think this could apply to seafood/fishing places, too?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

No harm in asking.

I’m a ex butcher and if I got asked by someone truly passionate in knives I would help them out.

( happy to be PMed about anyone that wants a butchers perspective )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.