Sports superstars Majoring in "Stupidity"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Sports superstars Majoring in "Stupidity"

Post by JD Spydo »

Another thing that really makes me truly sick to my stomach is Myles Garrett's accusation of racial slurs and/or comments from Mason Rudolph. There are just way too many factors involved here for me to believe that. First off the two guys on his team that came to Mason Rudolph's aid were both black>> about 3/4ths of Rudolph's team mates are black and even Rudolph's coach ( Mike Tomlin) is black. And Garrett is going to tell me that Mason Rudolph is going to call another minority/black player a cheap racial name and possibly risk his entire career :rolleyes: REALLY!!!??? Seriously!!??

That would be about like myself ( a white guy) standing on a Kansas City street corner waiting for a bus and while I'm standing there I'm screaming the "N" word to the top of my lungs :rolleyes: Yeah Right :rolleyes: I know for 100% certain that didn't happen and Garrett should get time added to his suspension for making up that lie.

No other team mate on either side heard any such a thing said ( because it wasn't) and there wasn't even any mention of it until Garrett met with the NFL league officials. Go Figure :rolleyes: Just a total, complete out and out lie to try to lesson his richly deserved punishment.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01 am
Another thing that really makes me truly sick to my stomach is Myles Garrett's accusation of racial slurs and/or comments from Mason Rudolph. There are just way too many factors involved here for me to believe that. First off the two guys on his team that came to Mason Rudolph's aid were both black>> about 3/4ths of Rudolph's team mates are black and even Rudolph's coach ( Mike Tomlin) is black. And Garrett is going to tell me that Mason Rudolph is going to call another minority/black player a cheap racial name and possibly risk his entire career :rolleyes: REALLY!!!??? Seriously!!??

That would be about like myself ( a white guy) standing on a Kansas City street corner waiting for a bus and while I'm standing there I'm screaming the "N" word to the top of my lungs :rolleyes: Yeah Right :rolleyes: I know for 100% certain that didn't happen and Garrett should get time added to his suspension for making up that lie.

No other team mate on either side heard any such a thing said ( because it wasn't) and there wasn't even any mention of it until Garrett met with the NFL league officials. Go Figure :rolleyes: Just a total, complete out and out lie to try to lesson his richly deserved punishment.
I totally agree.

Sports heroes, or at least athletes from certain sports, especially football, basketball, and even baseball, are treated like demi-gods by much of the public, the colleges/universities, the media, etc. They are allowed to get away with far more than the average college student or typical person can. They are deemed too valuable monetarily, reputation-wise, etc.

Also, there are some combat athletes who are also bad apples, although they aren’t generally deemed as valuable financially to as many institutions as the above-mentioned team sports. MMA fighter Conor McGregor is only one example.

Now, to add balance to this, there are some pro sports athletes who are great examples of sports heroes, such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and several others now whose names I forgot, who are using their positions to do good for others.

But there are far too many who have lived basically privileged lives and been doted over strictly because of their athletic abilities who are morally bankrupt. Most likely sociopathic.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:11 pm
Or is our culture just becoming more depraved :( ?
The kooks and crackpots are out of the closet. Insanity is on it's way to being established as an acceptable norm through laws. It's been that way for a decade or more now and growing worse every day.

Nonetheless, I don't think that is what drives movie stars, athletes, and politicians to get so hung up on their criminal activities that they forget where they are and what the rule of law is. Even with hard core liberalism or progressivism on the rise, they are still beyond the norms.

I watch some of the Olympics, MotoGP, and the NHL, and beyond that don't watch much TV. Maybe 3hrs a week, MAX. I don't want to see anymore of it. When you are in front of a TV and you are calling "B*llsh*t" every 30 min, it's time to hang it up. It's indoctrination.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

A few years ago my friends nephew was playing high school football. The report I heard was coaches telling kids they had to get bigger. Have to get bigger. Get bigger. Go to gnc... and this is for high school. Wasn’t like that when I was in high school.
You get bigger and you get some praise. Can only imagine the pressure of the pros when you get big dollars.

If you follow pro cycling and it’s terrible history of doping, the lesson is that there are always ways to cheat. Don’t think for a second that the testing stops anything. The testing is mostly a smokescreen. Baseball isn’t clean. The pitchers are still throwing 100 mph. The batters are still hitting record numbers of home runs. Football is no better.
The other thing I learned from cycling is that steroids and such are a gateway drug. Get used to putting stuff in your body and feeling guilt from cheating has led to many post-career drug addicts. Sad but true. Wouldn’t be surprised if football was similar especially with chronic pain from abuse on the field.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess if I came straight out of high school or college into a multi-million dollar NFL contract and was suddenly stupid rich at such a young age I would probably do something stupid too. I like to think I could play the straight and narrow until my career ended and then sit back and enjoy retirement but I also know my early 20s self did a lot of stupid stuff without the influence of millions of dollars.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I won't mention any names because I sure don't have permission from the family. But we had a hometown boy here who was an outstanding Basketball player who ended up playing for a major university and later got drafted into the NBA. He was on several NBA teams throughout his career. I had worked for his dad and one of his brothers a few times over the years and they were just great people and a great family. His dad told me that they sat down with him when he got his first big contract. His dad told him that he should give him and his mother half of his money so they could invest it and take care of it for him.

Well it turned out to be a great move because at the end of his career like a lot of those guys he went through a lot of his money. Because of his great dad and mom he now pretty much has it made. It's sad that many of these pro ball players end up broke shortly after their multi-million dollar careers are over with. I think the professional leagues should set up something along those lines because sad to say many of these pro athletes have no knowledge or no sense at all on how to manage money.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:21 am
I guess if I came straight out of high school or college into a multi-million dollar NFL contract and was suddenly stupid rich at such a young age I would probably do something stupid too. I like to think I could play the straight and narrow until my career ended and then sit back and enjoy retirement but I also know my early 20s self did a lot of stupid stuff without the influence of millions of dollars.
Hah! Spot on. If I met my younger self, we wouldn’t get on.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am
Well it turned out to be a great move because at the end of his career like a lot of those guys he went through a lot of his money. Because of his great dad and mom he now pretty much has it made. It's sad that many of these pro ball players end up broke shortly after their multi-million dollar careers are over with. I think the professional leagues should set up something along those lines because sad to say many of these pro athletes have no knowledge or no sense at all on how to manage money.
I would like to see most of these guys get a “Bobby Bonilla” contract and get the money over 20 years. They would possibly pay less taxes and be less likely to have their money run out before they learn how to handle it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:21 am
Hah! Spot on. If I met my younger self, we wouldn’t get on.

I like to think I'd kick my younger self's arse but honestly I don't think I could take him. He did horrible things to our body and I'm paying the price lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am
I would like to see most of these guys get a “Bobby Bonilla” contract and get the money over 20 years. They would possibly pay less taxes and be less likely to have their money run out before they learn how to handle it.
I see what you're saying but some of these guys go broke no matter how much loot they get. Take Mike Tyson the boxer for instance. He went through about $120million>> now his corrupt manager/promoter Don King made off with some of it while Mike was doing jail time over that trumped up, false rape case. But overall he was pretty much broke within 3 years of retiring from boxing. Boxers are some of the worst stories I've heard. It seems like Boxers and pro Basketball players are among the worst cases.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The problem with big sports superstars like top boxers and basketball players hitting the big time then going broke, IMO, has much to do with the athletes’ backgrounds. You take some kid, usually from a poorer background, usually not highly educated to begin with whose only skill in life is their athletic ability, throw bulldozer-sized piles of money at them, surround them with entourages full of sycophants; you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Many will buy the biggest, gaudiest, most lavish mansions, throw huge parties all the time, build a dance club in the basement and amass a private zoo of exotic animals like tigers. Well, maybe that last one is rare, but it’s happened before. It’s all about the “bling” and showing off how lavish his lifestyle is (and “conquering” as many gold diggers as possible); a way of showing up everybody else and being “The Man”.

On a much smaller scale, you see the same thing when many teens from all backgrounds go off to college with a credit card for the first time and spend themselves into debt, because they didn’t realize that plastic card actually represents real money they’ll have to pay off.

Yup, I did some stupid things myself when I was young, but I was always very mindful of, and careful with money.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thanks for that rundown Jim. There is so much truth in what you just said in that last post. Hey if Scottie Pippen can go broke then anyone else can too>> especially if they have no concept of good money management. And he's one of the milder cases of a superstar athlete that lost it all for whatever reason . But again it seems that athletes losing all their fortune is significantly worse in boxing and basketball for whatever reason.