Horrible topic but important: Why so many suicides?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Horrible topic but important: Why so many suicides?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I read an article that claims suicide rates have increased in the Western world; such as USA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, UK, and elsewhere. What is going on and why is this? Is it a complex thing with many assorted reasons, from economics and rising depression or diagnosed depression, to general societal problems and internal problems with people's mental and emotional conditions?

This includes both within the prison/jail system and outside of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 971336002/

It has become so rampant that some cities and towns are installing anti-suicide catch-nets to prevent people from throwing themselves off of bridges.

Then you have the advocates and opponents of "assisted suicide", which is a whole other world of discussion. In some European countries, for example, where assisted suicide is legal, it has gone beyond the death of terminally-ill patients, to people who are severely depressed being enabled to end their lives, even though physically they can live for many more decades. It raises the frightening problems of what happened in the early 1900s until World War Two, when eugenics and euthenasia were acceptable in the USA and Europe, and the Nazis began to mass murder people who they deemed "unfit" and "useless eaters". Very scary.

How can suicides be prevented in and out of prisons/jails and schools?

I read that among certain segments of students who are studying for high-stress careers that require intense studies and mental effort, suicides have also increased.

It is very sad that this happens.

I once spoke with a person who was an ardent supporter of euthenasia, eugenics, and government-backed suicide. He told me his world view: Ardent Darwinian Evolutionist, denies the existence of a human soul or any sort of after life or Heaven or ****, believes humans are no more inherently special than tadpoles and bacteria, and embraced moral relativism. He claimed to me that he did not believe in any form of universal right or wrong, good or evil. On this topic he told me he believes that all governments should fully back and support any individual who wanted to have their life ended. I asked him "only for terminally ill people or anyone?" He told me, anyone, from the terminally ill and chronically ill, to the disabled, anyone from the start of adult hood to the end of their life, such as senior citizens. His claim is that it will make society more efficient and productive and cut down on the costs assorted with "random uncontrolled suicides" if there are government backed "Suicide Centers" where anyone for whatever reason, depression or whatever, can go to, and have their lives "safely and efficiently and quickly ended", according to this man. He seemed to be serious in his thinking, though he could have been "pulling my leg" as they say, to get a reaction from me, because he knew I value human life and care about people. Are people like that rare or more common than I think?

What would your response be to someone with that thinking? By the way, he was also a big advocate of ending "human over population" and told me he considers the human race to be a "viral plague on Mother Earth" even though he claimed he does not believe in any gods, goddesses, dieties, or concious earth like some people do.

Also, how would you respond to this person? I once read a news article about a woman who was approaching her senior years, and she claimed, in the article, that because she had no "comfortable retirement fund", and did not want to live in a state of poverty, she planned to end her life when she reached that age. That sounds very shocking and saddening. What would you say to this person? Is that her right over her life to do that or not?
The Deacon

Re: Horrible topic but important: Why so many suicides?

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:33 am
I once spoke with a person who was an ardent supporter of euthenasia, eugenics, and government-backed suicide. He told me his world view: Ardent Darwinian Evolutionist, denies the existence of a human soul or any sort of after life or Heaven or ****, believes humans are no more inherently special than tadpoles and bacteria, and embraced moral relativism. He claimed to me that he did not believe in any form of universal right or wrong, good or evil. On this topic he told me he believes that all governments should fully back and support any individual who wanted to have their life ended. I asked him "only for terminally ill people or anyone?" He told me, anyone, from the terminally ill and chronically ill, to the disabled, anyone from the start of adult hood to the end of their life, such as senior citizens. His claim is that it will make society more efficient and productive and cut down on the costs assorted with "random uncontrolled suicides" if there are government backed "Suicide Centers" where anyone for whatever reason, depression or whatever, can go to, and have their lives "safely and efficiently and quickly ended", according to this man. He seemed to be serious in his thinking, though he could have been "pulling my leg" as they say, to get a reaction from me, because he knew I value human life and care about people. Are people like that rare or more common than I think?

What would your response be to someone with that thinking? By the way, he was also a big advocate of ending "human over population" and told me he considers the human race to be a "viral plague on Mother Earth" even though he claimed he does not believe in any gods, goddesses, dieties, or concious earth like some people do.

Also, how would you respond to this person? I once read a news article about a woman who was approaching her senior years, and she claimed, in the article, that because she had no "comfortable retirement fund", and did not want to live in a state of poverty, she planned to end her life when she reached that age. That sounds very shocking and saddening. What would you say to this person? Is that her right over her life to do that or not?

I don't know how common it is, but I agree with that person when it comes to suicide. The right to decide when, and within reason how, one is going to die should be considered a basic human right for adults. And, while I would not consider us a "viral plague", I firmly believe that over population is a major danger to the planet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As I said on another post, it may be deliberately under reported to avoid copy cat incidences.

There have certainly been “clusters” of young adult male suicides, and my impression is that they tend to be found more in low wage, low opportunity, ex industrial areas.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Eugenics is directly responsible for the murder of millions of babies in the USA and was originally advocated in order to control blacks and anyone not in the upper classes of society. Now, you cannot start down that road of belief without it messing you up inside. It is not possible.

Suicides are on the rise in part because life is simpler, we no longer have to strive to survive, and we no longer have purpose. People no longer feel connected to a Creator or His purpose, and doubting that, doubt themselves because there is nothing greater and all is hopeless. It is a convoluted vicious cycle, like a merry-go-round designed by a mad man and people do not know how to get off.

I also think that suicides are on the rise for environmental reasons. Some depression is chemical and there are now so many chemicals in our diets, in our drinking water (don't flush drugs!), and in the general environment, it is likely they are affecting people in significant ways. We know plastic bottles cause obesity. We do not know what else they do, nor do we know what drugs in our water and environment are doing to all of us.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This subject is real easy to have an opinion on when looking in from the outside. It isn't as simple as a lack of faith or being poor. It can happen to anyone whether you believe it or not. You can have everything in the world to live for and love Jesus and all that and still feel it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

David is right. It can happen anywhere to anybody. Only takes one moment of "weakness"

I personally know 3 people who have committed suicide, all for very different reasons. One was a kid I went to high school with. He always seem to be in the best mood, he was a true class clown. The entire school loved him and found him hilarious. I believe he was only a freshman and it was during my junior year. He was even loved by the big bad Senior class. Turned out he was bipolar and was supposed to be taking medication and happened to get off of it. For whatever reason he ended up hanging himself from a tree in the woods behind his house, found by his father. It was extremely sad and shocking. This was caused by a mental illness.

Another was a partying acquaintance during my late teens/early 20's. A kid I would see at all the parties. He ended up getting into some heavy drugs. In and out of rehab. He ended up taking his own life when he was only 24 years old.

This is the most bizarre, crazy story here...

A kid I went to school with my entire life, was coming up in the ranks of Motocross prior to his death. Had a real shot at being a pro. He had his crazy girlfriend, they were both a bit wild. They "loved" each other, but always had physical confrontations with one another. They would show up together somewhere, one of them would have brusies or a cut lip or black eye. But they always seemed so happy together when around others. Very toxic I imagine. Well one night they apparently got into it and he ended up choking her. She passed out, it's believed he thought he had killed her and ended up shooting himself in the head. She claims the gun shot woke her up and she found him dead. There was an investigation and she was cleared of any kind of wrong doing.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Only thing I can think of, that as a society, we are on more prescription medications than we ever have been. Doctors will pretty much give anyone anything they ask for. And, should we trust the drug companies like we do? I cant help but think of Perdue Pharma, the owners of Oxycontin ( Oxycodone ) Lying about the addictiveness of it. Downright scoundrels!!
But, in the end, it comes down to the individual I reckon.
Just my opinion.....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 am
Only thing I can think of, that as a society, we are on more prescription medications than we ever have been. Doctors will pretty much give anyone anything they ask for. And, should we trust the drug companies like we do? I cant help but think of Perdue Pharma, the owners of Oxycontin ( Oxycodone ) Lying about the addictiveness of it. Downright scoundrels!!
Just my opinion.....
This reminds me of a couple years ago at family get together, we were talking to my wife's teenage niece. She was telling us how her friends went to some kids party and there was a bowl with a bunch of different pills and kids were popping them like candy. Not even knowing what they were taking! They were stealing them from their parents and bringing them to the party. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Those kids are extremely lucky nobody died that night and they probably don't even realize it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Prescriptions are part of the problem but the bigger issue is nobody wants to address mental health, not the people with it or doctors. Both sides want an easy way out, a pill to numb it all away but just like alcohol or other drugs you're just numbing away the feeling, you aren't addressing why you feel that way. We don't find solutions we find ways to cope, and the industry is fine with that because they don't want you healed they want you hooked on their drugs to survive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 am
Just my opinion.....
This reminds me of a couple years ago at family get together, we were talking to my wife's teenage niece. She was telling us how her friends went to some kids party and there was a bowl with a bunch of different pills and kids were popping them like candy. Not even knowing what they were taking! They were stealing them from their parents and bringing them to the party. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Those kids are extremely lucky nobody died that night and they probably don't even realize it.
Wow.... :(
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... 4bddf94ee6

Research for many years and across social and health science fields has demonstrated a strong relationship between economic downturns and an increase in deaths due to suicide,” Sarah Burgard an associate professor of sociology at the University of Michigan, explained in an email on Thursday.

The dramatic rise in opioid addiction also can't be overlooked, experts say, though untangling accidental from intentional deaths by overdose can be difficult. The CDC has calculated that suicides from opioid overdoses nearly doubled between 1999 and 2014, and data from a 2014 national survey showed that individuals addicted to prescription opioids had a 40 percent to 60 percent higher risk of suicidal ideation. Habitual users of opioids were twice as likely to attempt suicide as people who did not use them.

High suicide numbers in the United States are not a new phenomenon. In 1999, then-Surgeon General David Satcher issued a report on the state of mental health in the country and called suicide “a significant public health problem.” The latest data at that time showed about 30,000 suicides a year.“
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I was younger I had serious bouts with very deep depression. I later found out that it runs bad on my mother's side of the family and to some extent on my dad's as well. I also had a couple of serious head injuries when I was younger that contributed to it as well. I can certainly sympathize and empathize with people who are battling that most hideous, horrible head problem of chronic depression :(

Back in 09 when I had my financial trainwreck ( mostly due to medical insurance being cancelled) things got so bad at one point for a short time period I really contemplated suicide and even got out my .357 mag late one night and looked at it for a while. So believe me my heart really goes out to those who are in a mode of what they perceive as complete hopelessness. If it hadn't been for my ultimate faith in GOD almighty and the help of my late best friend I would have probably seriously contemplated it. But my late best friend kind of gave me some "get tough" therapy. He was even yelling at me saying any coward or chicken can take the easy way out. When he died I truly lost one true-blue friend>> not the kind of phony electronic illusion of one you find on Facebook or any other social media nonsense.

He assured me that it was all going to improve and he was right it has. However it's been a slow road back but in the process I've gotten an education you couldn't have got at Harvard or Yale. And it made me re-evaluate my life and forced me to focus on what is really important. I believe the financial aspect of it is what has instilled a lot of hopelessness in many men especially in the past few years. Because we men have always been looked to as bread winners and ultimate providers.

Also here in the USA I think materialism has become such an illusion of happiness that many people place their own value as a person on such temporary material stuff and unfortunately overlook a lot of the really important aspects of life. There is probably not just one issue that causes many people to give up because we are all so different in so many ways. But there are some basic common denominators that many of us have lost sight of unfortunately. Sometimes just being there to talk to someone will make all the difference in the world. IT is a very strange and cold time we are all going through needless to say.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do believe in human overpopulation, BUT...IMO, the guy described in the OP sounds like a sociopath. It doesn't require a psychologist to see that.

I had battled what I now know is depression ever since my early teens, which lasted through my 30s. AFAIK, this wasn't anything inherited, but I was never 'diagnosed', and never sought psychiatric counseling, because I didn't know it had a label, and I never really discussed it with anybody. I kept it hidden, because I didn't feel anybody wanted to discuss 'feelings'. I also had a form of (what I now know is) OCD from around age 6 or 7, which I also wasn't able to describe and therefore kept to myself.

One night at age 21, I was about 40-50% on the verge of committing suicide, for a number of reasons. That I would even consider it seems so removed from who I am now, but it was where I was at, at that moment in time. I considered jumping off the roof of a building. What pulled me back was the mental image I had of my heartbroken parents having to identify my remains in some morgue. That is something I would not, could not, willingly bring myself to do. I'd like to say that after that I never felt depressed again, but that's not the case. It continued throughout my 30s, though never again to the point of considering suicide. A big turning point was a (non-religious) spiritual experience of unconditional love that I had at around age 32 that was something I had needed to experience. Today, at age 55, I have since gotten over it without therapy or medications, BUT I cannot judge anybody else's experiences or needs, nor make any recommendations, based on my own experience. I still have mild OCD around certain things, though.

I will not judge those who choose to end their own lives due to severe, incurable illness/pain. Because you cannot judge someone else's experience of that if you are not in it.

The high suicide rate among young, otherwise physically healthy people today has many reasons but, IMO, has much to do with many youngsters never developing adequate coping mechanisms to deal with life. Similarly, and what I see as related, when I was in school, if two kids had beef, they'd usually settle it with a fistfight, and more often than not, win or lose, it was over. Not anymore. Nowadays, the loser will go home, get his gun, and go after the victor and anybody else deemed against him/her. Or just take their dad's gun to school without ever engaging the other and try to outdo the numbers of the previous school shooting, in a bid for media attention, infamy, and maybe even sympathy. These two issues are, IMO, related. One is passive and the other is aggressive.

Suicide when one is otherwise healthy may seem the easy way out, but IMO, in reality it ends up being the hard way, but I won't get into the reasons I believe why here.

Jim
Reject

Post by Reject »

If a child who is never allowed to fall, they will never learn how to get back up again when they do. And everyone will fall at some time in their life.

:o A comment on modern child raising.

The person described in opening post sounds like someone who has not yet fallen on their own hard times. It would be interesting to go back and talk to them when they do and see if their opinions have changed.

Small sacrifices for the greater good sound fine; :rolleyes: unless you happen to be one of those small sacrifices.

There is a condition called bipolar disorder. The mind switches between mental highs and lows; I lost a brother to this disorder.
In my opinion the most dangerous parts are the highs. The higher you are, the farther you have to fall and the deeper you will go.

The lows are easy to spot, (if you know them for what they are); it’s the highs that can sneak up on you.

There are good things to be about modesty and keeping your mental state to an even level.
For an example; :D pick a forum name with low expectations.
How much can a Koala bear?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Reject wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:27 pm
If a child who is never allowed to fall, they will never learn how to get back up again when they do. And everyone will fall at some time in their life.

The person described in opening post sounds like someone who has not yet fallen on their own hard times. It would be interesting to go back and talk to them when they do and see if their opinions have changed.

Small sacrifices for the greater good sound fine; :rolleyes: unless you happen to be one of those small sacrifices.

There is a condition called bipolar disorder. The mind switches between mental highs and lows; I lost a brother to this disorder.
In my opinion the most dangerous parts are the highs. The higher you are, the farther you have to fall and the deeper you will go.

The lows are easy to spot, (if you know them for what they are); it’s the highs that can sneak up on you.

There are good things to be about modesty and keeping your mental state to an even level.
What about all those hard as nails soldiers that commit suicide?
I guarantee you they know/knew what hard times are all about.
All the suicides that I've known of, they were raised tough as nails.
Reject

Post by Reject »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:13 pm
Reject wrote:

Very true.

There are many reasons that a person would choose to take they own life.
Because of that; on such an important tropic as this, I would only comment on something I have some experience with.

We have the same problem in this country, of soldiers coming home from war and taking their own lives. I have spent in the Australian RAR, but it was in a times of peace, so I have no experience on which to base any comments on. So I will leave that to those who do.

Bipolar Disorder is medical condition that can lead to a person taking their own life.
People who have this disorder need to understand that it is not you, it is the disorder causing these problems. Separating the 2 can be a beginning.
How much can a Koala bear?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Reject wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:13 pm
Reject wrote:

Very true.

There are many reasons that a person would choose to take they own life.
Because of that; on such an important tropic as this, I would only comment on something I have some experience with.

We have the same problem in this country, of soldiers coming home from war and taking their own lives. I have spent in the Australian RAR, but it was in a times of peace, so I have no experience on which to base any comments on. So I will leave that to those who do.

Bipolar Disorder is medical condition that can lead to a person taking their own life.
People who have this disorder need to understand that it is not you, it is the disorder causing these problems. Separating the 2 can be a beginning.
Thank you reject.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The dramatic rise in opioid addiction also can't be overlooked, experts say, though untangling accidental from intentional deaths by overdose can be difficult. The CDC has calculated that suicides from opioid overdoses nearly doubled between 1999 and 2014, and data from a 2014 national survey showed that individuals addicted to prescription opioids had a 40 percent to 60 percent higher risk of suicidal ideation. Habitual users of opioids were twice as likely to attempt suicide as people who did not use them.
Chicken or egg. A large part or most of the people in this class are having chronic health issues causing them to have to stay on these meds knowing they will have problems.Do you think doctors are giving out opioids to just everyone? Living with chronic pain is a tough lifestyle and many just give up because of quality of life issues. I've known and seen a few. Their heart keeps on going after the will to live goes. Is it any wonder they choose what they choose?

They are completely separate and different from the ones going out and buying drugs from dealers and living in their cars by their early 20s because they don't want to stop doing the drugs that ruin their lives.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one huge factor that I haven't heard anyone address. And that is the disproportionate amount of military and ex-military men and women who are committing suicide at an alarming and unprecedented rate. What in GOD's name is wrong with this picture of military and ex-military people who can't seem to get the badly needed help for the problems that they accrued while serving to protect this great land :(

I listen to a lot of radio programs and mostly ones I like on the internet. I was dosing off one night and was listening to the guy on "Coast To Coast AM" give out some absolutely frightening statistics on USA Military men & women committing suicide at a rate that is just mind-blowing.

Yeah I would like to hear someone in authority address this outrageous issue of dozens, if not hundreds of America's best killing themselves at a never before heard of rate :( I would be willing to bet that the largest percentage of suicides committed by people under 50 years of age are done by military and ex-military>> If you can prove me wrong then please do :(
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Re: Military Veteran suicides.

Mental healthcare is the red-headed stepchild of the medical field. Hard enough to find someone good to see as a civilian with normal insurance, much less Tricare. That is magnified in military medicine for active duty members. There is also the potential stigma if they seek help, plus potentially hurting their chance at promotion.

Additionally you have different factors influencing depression for military service-members. The 2 biggest being PTSD, & Traumatic brain injuries - or a combination of both. PTSD has been a known factor for a while, TBIs they are still learning how to treat.

So you got all of the above & the military service-member becomes a civilian again - a veteran. They've got some mental health issues that they've learned to mask real well. They have a healthcare plan that is hard to find help for. And now they have gone from a structured life with purpose to not. They also might have a hard time finding employment as some skills don't transfer over to the civilian world. As an example I was an Army Medic with EMT-I, wilderness med, and immunology certifications. My last job in the Army as I was getting medically retired was running immunizations for ALL soldiers inprocessing to Ft. Campbell and all the immunizations for 3200 soldiers assigned to that clinic. When I got out the only job I could find was working as a Medical Tech/CNA. Knew a kid that was a Sgt in a Ranger battalion who was med retired due to injuries from a suicide bomber. Only thing his job skills applied to was law enforcement, but his injuries denied even that option. He was living at home working at a sporting goods store trying to get the VA to pay for some college. The kid was leading soldiers at a squad level in combat, responsible for million dollar gear, but was making minimum wage.

Poor coping skills + lack of available help + lack of meaningful employment add up to a recipe for disaster. Then when a friend/family member dies, financial issues pop-up, spouse/significant other leaves it's like gas on a fire.