Migraine Headaches Revisited

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Migraine Headaches Revisited

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I have not had a Migraine Headache previously for almost a full two years. But the one I had that hit me Sunday morning made me feel like a truck hit me on I-70 at high rate of speed :( . This morning after being awake with chronic pain all night I felt like Mike Tyson came out of retirement and worked me over for the better part of a half hour :eek: Needless to say these Migraines are truly from **** itself IMO.

About 3 years ago in 2015 I was hospitalized with a Migraine Headache that I truly thought might have been a brain tumor>> yeah it hurt that bad :( After 32 hours in the hospital they gave me 3 different meds and I still felt like hammered snot for almost two day after. I had two more attacks of Migraines in 2015 and one really bad one in 2016 like I said earlier. This is truly misery at a level I wouldn't hardly wish on my very worst enemy ever. Like the thread I did on "Migraines" 3 years ago I'm looking for the same information hopefully.

I'm looking for suggestions any kind of herbal cure or homeopathic cure if any of you are wise to something of that ilk. Or what I would ultimately like to know is what the heck causes these things to begin with. In 2015 the neurologist lady doctor who was a very brilliant doctor and really tried to help me said that she thought it was some type of food allergy I was suffering from but I have no idea of what food I ate that might have triggered it. I remember that some of you guys and gals chimed in on that previous thread and said that some of you all suffered from them too. Really folks I don't want to suffer with one of these again ever if I can possibly prevent it >> so any information would be greatly appreciated.
kernelpanic

Re: Migraine Headaches Revisited

Post by kernelpanic »

Hi,
I’ve been suffering migraines for many years, less so recently. Advice I was given was to keep a diary of what I ate, and whT I did in the day/evening, even things like if I slept well.
After a few months I noticed a trend of certain foods like chocolate, bacon etc that were always eaten before a migraine and also lack of sleep or not drinking enough water. So I avoid these things now and it’s really reduced the migraines.
I would recommend giving it a go and see if you can find a trend of triggers causing them.
My wife also bought me a head massager, it’s like a metal handle with lots of thin wire fingers that you rub over your head, I found this helped aswell as cold packs on my head or face.
Kev
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kernelpanic wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:53 am
Hi,
I’ve been suffering migraines for many years, less so recently. Advice I was given was to keep a diary of what I ate, and whT I did in the day/evening, even things like if I slept well.
After a few months I noticed a trend of certain foods like chocolate, bacon etc that were always eaten before a migraine and also lack of sleep or not drinking enough water. So I avoid these things now and it’s really reduced the migraines.
I would recommend giving it a go and see if you can find a trend of triggers causing them.
My wife also bought me a head massager, it’s like a metal handle with lots of thin wire fingers that you rub over your head, I found this helped aswell as cold packs on my head or face.
Kev
Very interesting that you mention chocolate. Because at a Saturday dinner I attended they were giving away a bunch of Ghirardelli Chocolate and I ate a bunch of it like a pig. I have a real weakness to their chocolate especially when I get it for free :D This time when the Migraine hit I did notice a really weird and almost chemical type taste in my mouth that I can't even hardly describe. I now have no doubt that chocolate is at least one of the culprits. But for some strange gut feeling I don't think it is the only food item that is causing it.

I'm now thinking it may indeed be a food allergy like that one doctor figured it might be. Because the doctor said for a guy like myself who has never had them his entire life and to not get one until I'm over 60 years old she said is really unusual. I'm now going to investigate the food aspect of Migraines.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sorry to hear this JD. :( I know what migraines are like. I used to get them every now and then when I was about 15. I'm not sure what caused them but they have gone away now and thankfully I haven't had one since.

I have heard that many migraines can be triggered by food or food allergies. Like kernelpanic suggested, keeping a food diary would probably be helpful in pinning down the cause.

I hope you can get rid of these headaches. I will be praying for your recovery!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well thanks Meat Man and KernalPanic for the advice. I'm most definitely going to check out every aspect of this most insidious ailment that many people underestimate. The pain I suffered Sunday would have to be the equivalent of a cancer patient in the latter stages and I'm not exaggerating. I didn't go the hospital this time because the last time I did it seemed as though they were almost as clueless as I am. I have a lot of respect for western medicine in many areas but it continues to blow me away that they don't really know as much as we think they do.

Last night the pain came back again but not as intense>> I went to my herbal medicine box I keep and got out my Super Strength "Oil Of Oregano" and I believe it actually seemed to help quite a bit. Because this morning I felt about half to three fourths normal>> I still kind of feel nauseated and haven't been able to eat or hold down anything. I've thrown up about 4 times in the last two days and I have no fever so I ruled out any kind of influenza or any other virus. But for me not to have an appetite doesn't happen often. But I'm definitely going to lay off chocolate and other sweets as well.

Any other input that can help me and the rest of you get a handle on these most miserable of headaches will be highly appreciated. I've dabbled in herbal medicines for the past 20 years and found some to be quite helpful. I got a feeling this isn't going to be easy to find a solution because I'm also beginning to believe that there may be more than one cause to these insidious attacks.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

What about the other herbs, some CBD might help...

Hope you get this sorted out, it doesn't sound like fun.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:22 am
What about the other herbs, some CBD might help...

Hope you get this sorted out, it doesn't sound like fun.
Please pardon my ignorance :o but what does the acronym "CBD" stand for? Hey I'm all for trying anything that either cures or prevents Migraine Headaches. I have 3 female cousins who complained for years about Migraines and I just thought they were being wimps because I had a few headaches over the years but when I had my very first Migraine I was ashamed at what I thought about my 3 cousins who all complained of them. I discovered the hard way that they all truly were suffering beyond belief. I guess sometimes it's hard to have compassion for something you don't know about :o

A friend of mine over the phone this morning told me that there were certain mushrooms that were effective. I'm going to research that today. But I'm still wide open for suggestions. There are even very few politicians I would wish this on :rolleyes:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It’s a strain of marijuana without the THC in it, just CDBs. Doesn’t get you “high”, lots of positivite new research has been coming out lately on CDB’s.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am
It’s a strain of marijuana without the THC in it, just CDBs. Doesn’t get you “high”, lots of positivite new research has been coming out lately on CDB’s.
Well when I was a teenager and also in my very early 20s I did use marijuana a few times. I quit in my early 20s because to me it was just nothing but a sleeping pill and I've since quit alcohol long ago and I'm no longer into anything like that and haven't been for years ( decades). But on the other hand I'm 1000% for medical marijuana or any of it's extracts if it's been tested by people that really know what they are doing. I'm not exactly sure what in that category is legal or available here in Missouri but I will check it out.

About 5 years ago I was a caregiver for a friend of mine who was dying of two different types of cancer. They had him on pain meds that would have probably killed the average person. He was able through his Oncologist to get those medical Pot pills and he said they gave him more comfort than the super powered pain meds did. I've kept that in my thoughts for a long time and wondered about it's possibilities.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

+ 1 on the diary idea. Your migraines sound awful, so best of luck.

I’ve had some of immune issue this year after reacting to antibiotics. Keeping a diary over last couple of months has ultimately revealed the worst symptoms result from the prescribed medication!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Revisit that chocolate as a culprit. It is not all but some that do it.
Whittakers dark jaffa is like a pole axe to me.
O.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 pm
Well I have not had a Migraine Headache previously for almost a full two years. But the one I had that hit me Sunday morning made me feel like a truck hit me on I-70 at high rate of speed :( .
Sorry to hear, Joe, hope you’re felling much better.

My dad and beloved wife used to get migraines but not for many years now.

To date I’ve never had a headache other than the times I blocked punches with my head. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:10 pm
+ 1 on the diary idea. Your migraines sound awful, so best of luck.

I’ve had some of immune issue this year after reacting to antibiotics. Keeping a diary over last couple of months has ultimately revealed the worst symptoms result from the prescribed medication!
Sorry to hear about your meds giving you ****. But you're not the only one that has told me that either. A person who has to be on any kind of medication and especially a maintenance medication like for diabetes or any other internal medicine problem should have their own PDR ( Physician's Desk Reference). While healing from my recent knee surgery I checked and double checked every med they gave me. And some of those muscle relaxers truly had some weird side effects.

And so many different meds interact with other meds and some foods too. But I've found a Physician's Desk Reference to be a life saver,. Also believe it or not a really good pharmacist knows the story on most medications even far better than many doctors do. Doctors are so controlled by big Pharma that it's truly eerie. But a PDR could be your best friend to make you aware of what they are giving you. And don't be bashful about asking hard questions. They do give out the wrong meds more that you would like to believe.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm
Revisit that chocolate as a culprit. It is not all but some that do it.
Whittakers dark jaffa is like a pole axe to me.
O.
I'm about 99% convinced that chocolate was truly one of the culprits that caused this most recent Migraine out of ****. I now remember that one lady Doctor telling me that alkaloids can be a cause and often times is a contributor to Migraine headaches>> and chocolate has a high content of alkaloids. As much as I love Ghirardelli Chocolate I guess I'm just going to have to quit that all together. I don't ever want to deal with this type of ailment ever again if I can help it.

I also ate a lot of sweets that many of the ladies brought to the dinner the other night. I was really being a pig with the Ghirardelli Chocolate and the homemade pecan pies as well as some German Chocolate cake. Yeah I sampled most of them and it looks like I paid a heavy price. I remember the days years ago when I drank Scotch Whiskey at parties. I can also remember the nuclear grade hangovers I would get as a result. That's why I quit that crap several years ago as well. And none of them were nearly as bad as these Migraine headaches IMO. Live and learn I guess.. But I do want to prevent this from happening again if I can.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:22 pm
Yeah I sampled most of them ...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You migraines could easily be food allergies. I have had those and you should get tested. They could also be related to neck spine problems. I have an old injury to my neck spine in the worst possible place. They are so bad that when I get them I cannot see. I am sick to my stomach from the pain. The only thing that gives me some relief is 30mg of codeine/hydrocodone. Nothing else will touch it that I have tried. Peppermint essential oil massaged into my head and neck also helps a little. But the codeine is the only thing that will get rid of it. Perhaps an MRI on your neck is in order?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:22 pm
Yeah I sampled most of them ...
Yeah Bloke that was close :o Actually the kid in the picture probably had better manners than I did :o

Bloke I'm not sure that taking those Jet Skis to ANTARCTICA would be wise after all :D Looking at that almost makes my head hurt again :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 pm
You migraines could easily be food allergies. I have had those and you should get tested. They could also be related to neck spine problems. I have an old injury to my neck spine in the worst possible place. They are so bad that when I get them I cannot see. I am sick to my stomach from the pain. The only thing that gives me some relief is 30mg of codeine/hydrocodone. Nothing else will touch it that I have tried. Peppermint essential oil massaged into my head and neck also helps a little. But the codeine is the only thing that will get rid of it. Perhaps an MRI on your neck is in order?
You know Doc that's interesting that you would mention that Peppermint oil. Because when they took me to the Emergency Room before they admitted me to the hospital that first time>> there was a male nurse who asked me if I would be opposed to trying out any herbal/natural type remedy. I told him heck no I use that stuff at times myself. He gave me some inhalable form of PepperMint Oil that was really concentrated and it did help me some. I know what you're saying about the pain meds because I had a couple of Percocets left over from my knee operation and they did help just a little bit. But they were only 5mg each. I think a high powered pain med might have helped but I did not want to go to the hospital again because they really frustrated me that first time around.

Believe it or not this morning some good, fresh ground bean coffee kind of helped this morning along with a super strong Ibuprofen ( 800mg). But I am going to get some of that Peppermint Oil. That's why I was hoping that someone would know about herbal or homeopathic treatments.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Yeah Bloke that was close :o Actually the kid in the picture probably had better manners than I did :o

Bloke I'm not sure that taking those Jet Skis to ANTARCTICA would be wise after all :D Looking at that almost makes my head hurt again :rolleyes:
Ah, hahaha! Fair to say I’m partial to a little chocolate too Joe, so you’re not alone. ;)

Yeah, the jet skis weren’t our best idea, but don’t worry I’ve been collecting 44gal drums, tube and fitting scaffolding, planks and old tarps. I’m building us a sailing raft and Doc Dan is sending me a gallon of peppermint oil I can rub on your melon if you sneak chocolates onboard and get another migraine. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Ah, hahaha! Fair to say I’m partial to a little chocolate too Joe, so you’re not alone. ;)

Yeah, the jet skis weren’t our best idea, but don’t worry I’ve been collecting 44gal drums, tube and fitting scaffolding, planks and old tarps. I’m building us a sailing raft and Doc Dan is sending me a gallon of peppermint oil I can rub on your melon if you sneak chocolates onboard and get another migraine. :)
The way I felt the other day I think you almost needed to rub liquid morphine on my head :eek: I was actually wondering if someone hadn't poisoned me to collect on life insurance the way I felt. IT's Wednesday morning here where I'm at and I'm starting to feel a little more human.

Yeah I think you're right about the homemade raft being better for the Antarctic voyage than the Jet Skis >> I was wondering if fuel wouldn't be a problem because for the Jet Skis because they don't have that big of a tank on them. Also I'm sure they don't have any convenience stores down there in "penguin land". I couldn't even laugh the other day my head hurt so awful bad :o