What do you guys think of this knife I designed?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
M4Life

What do you guys think of this knife I designed?

Post by M4Life »

So this one is called the Genome the blade length is about 3.5" and the cutting edge is about 3". The lock bar has has a stainless steel insert and a ceramic detent ball. The handle is an integral design and the pivot is captive on one side, so that you don't need to apply torque on both sides to disassemble it. Speaking of disassemble to take apart this knife you have to have it closed, this is because I made the stop pin part of the blade like the recently released primordial. as the blade is moved the stop pin slides along symmetrical cutouts in either side of the handle. These cutouts are such that the blade can be disassembled when the blade is closed to about halfway open, past that point these cutouts turn into slots that the stop pin rides in but which means the knife can't be taken apart while the blade is open.

Let me know what you think, if you have any questions about the specs or anything else, or if you have any suggestions for things I could change. This is the first folding knife I have designed so I sure I overlooked some things which is why I really do appreciate your thoughts.
Attachments
Genome Assembled Presentation Side Closed.png
Genome Assembled Presentation Side open.png
Genome Assembled Framelock Side Open.png
Genome Assembled Lockbar side Closed.png
Genome Assembled Presentation Side Closed.png
Last edited by M4Life on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
M4Life

Re: What do you guys think of this knife I designed?

Post by M4Life »

I have attached a picture where you can see what the stop pin and the cutouts look like when the knife is closed because I realize it is difficult to visualize what that looks like just from my description. Those black parts near the top of the knife are where the cutouts become slots.
Attachments
Genome Assembled Stop Pin Bottom View Closed.png

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Hi M4Life, an interesting concept. The blade shape is distinctive, it appears to have a slight recurve?
The flipper tab looks a little short, I find my Positron, which has a similar sized flipper tab, inconsistent in use. Although with the right bearings this should work. I really like the double helix and sculpting of the handle.
I don't believe that I am your target market, but look forward to seeing more of your images and ideas
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What was the reasoning behind the tip design? I find that a sharp point can be useful in a lot of my EDC tasks.
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am
What was the reasoning behind the tip design? I find that a sharp point can be useful in a lot of my EDC tasks.
The angle that the pictures are at doesn’t show it very well but the blade Tip still does come to a point. Although it still won’t be phenomenal at piercing tasks.

I drew some inspiration for the design of the blade from the Spyderco Vrango and from the Hinderer wharncliffe blade shape. The recurve and the part near the tip where you get a lot of belly come from the vrango and that completely straight blade spine come from the Hinderer with some credit to the Para 3 and PM2 as well.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Looks like it’s more fashion than function, therefore not of interest to me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

I like the design. Its pretty unique. Good attempt!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It is a unique and interesting design but also practical enough, at least to me, to function as a useful cutting tool. Good job!

A question about it: Would you ever consider having a range of different handle/grip materials or would the design only work well with a metallic handle?
Also: Were you considering a particular type of steel for the blade or could it have most any sort of quality steel?