Spain: Knife Making Power House!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spain: Knife Making Power House!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:09 am
I wish more people realized how great a knife-producing country Spain is. The Spanish people not only manufactured some of the greatest swords and edged tools in history but to this very day they continue to do so. The quality is excellent and compared to some places and companies the prices can be very inexpensive for what you are getting. For example, in Spain they produce both the "Classic Patterns" such as traditional "Caraca" and non-caraca navaja folding knives, swords, daggers, and all sorts of items, and, they also produce new, cutting-edge modern designs of knives.

Some companies such as "Hen and Rooster" and even the famous German Puma Knives, have some of their lines manufactured in Spain. The steel is very good and the fit and finish is also very good.
I have a Puma assembled in Spain. The quality is very good. It is a beautiful knife.
That is good to know. I was looking on the Puma webpage catalog and they seem to have some folders as well as fixed blades that use AN58 stainless steel and handle materials such as olive wood. AN58 is the same stainless variety that Nieto and a few other Spanish knife makers use.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:09 am
I wish more people realized how great a knife-producing country Spain is. The Spanish people not only manufactured some of the greatest swords and edged tools in history but to this very day they continue to do so. The quality is excellent and compared to some places and companies the prices can be very inexpensive for what you are getting. For example, in Spain they produce both the "Classic Patterns" such as traditional "Caraca" and non-caraca navaja folding knives, swords, daggers, and all sorts of items, and, they also produce new, cutting-edge modern designs of knives.

Some companies such as "Hen and Rooster" and even the famous German Puma Knives, have some of their lines manufactured in Spain. The steel is very good and the fit and finish is also very good.
I have a Puma assembled in Spain. The quality is very good. It is a beautiful knife.
That is good to know. I was looking on the Puma webpage catalog and they seem to have some folders as well as fixed blades that use AN58 stainless steel and handle materials such as olive wood. AN58 is the same stainless variety that Nieto and a few other Spanish knife makers use.
I have a 3" bladed gentleman's lock back folder with stag scales and 440C blade steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

AN58 Stainless Steel is endorsed by the Castilla-LeMancha University, Science and Engineering in Materials College.

It is a very good and durable stainless steel with good edge-holding properties and rust-resistance. Nieto Knives of Spain uses it in many of their folders and fixed blades.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:45 am
AN58 Stainless Steel is endorsed by the Castilla-LeMancha University, Science and Engineering in Materials College.

It is a very good and durable stainless steel with good edge-holding properties and rust-resistance. Nieto Knives of Spain uses it in many of their folders and fixed blades.

Joker uses it too, in some of their JKR models at least
This JKR balisong I have is AN58 :spyder:

and SEF, that University is one of the lowest ranking, less prestigious ones to be found here :o especially when it comes to cutting edge subjects and modern technology
SpyderEdgeForever

Amazing :) And thanks for telling me about that university.

What is one that is considered more authoritative?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Amazing :) And thanks for telling me about that university.

What is one that is considered more authoritative?

those in the Major cities, :p like the Complutense University of Madrid, Barcelona's Autonomous University (UAB in Spanish), Barcelona's University, Madrid's Autonomous University (UAM in Spanish), Valencia University and University of Granada or Polytechnic University of Catalunya

these are the best ones for technology, medicine, science and engineering :o
Retogenes

Post by Retogenes »

Hello, since I do not see a specific section in the forum to present myself, I do it in this thread, since I am also Spanish.
As the comrades commented, some brands have transferred their production to China.
But there are still knife craftsmen in Spain, especially in the area of ​​traditional knives and some modern knives. Brands such as Celaya, Cudeman, Salamandra, Nieto, JJ Martinez.
Sorry for my poor level of English, I support the translator.
Greetings to all
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you Retogenes and welcome to the forum! I am quite sure that sal and the others on the forum would welcome you also. This is a great place to have great discussions about knives and other topics with knowledgeable people.

I am very glad you mention these other companies that make knives in Spain. I love their products. They are all very great craftspeople.

Greetings and welcome!

Do you like the knives made by Aitor? They make some good knives but my favorites were the older Aitor models from the 1980s.
Retogenes

Post by Retogenes »

Hello SpyderEdgeForever, thanks for the welcome.
Aitor was a brand with international prestige. But its factory closed at the end of the 90s and was bought by the Pielcu group, which passed its production to China, keeping the designs that made Aitor gain fame, but according to the quality standards they went down (I do not have aitor knives after a year 2000).
I recommend you look at brands such as Cudeman, Muela or Nieto. Good production knives for the price.
Exposito, JJ Martínez, for traditional knives of good quality.
There are also good craftsmen who perform custom jobs.
The problem in Spain is that it has very restrictive knife laws and Spanish society has other interests. I remember my grandfather, he always carried a knife in his pocket, all his friends also had. My father usually carries a Victorinox knife. But as a general rule it is not well seen, nowadays, to take a knife in any public place, besides being able to have problems with the agents of the law.
a greeting
alexli

Post by alexli »

Retogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 am
Hello SpyderEdgeForever, thanks for the welcome.
Aitor was a brand with international prestige. But its factory closed at the end of the 90s and was bought by the Pielcu group, which passed its production to China, keeping the designs that made Aitor gain fame, but according to the quality standards they went down (I do not have aitor knives after a year 2000).
I recommend you look at brands such as Cudeman, Muela or Nieto. Good production knives for the price.
Exposito, JJ Martínez, for traditional knives of good quality.
There are also good craftsmen who perform custom jobs.
The problem in Spain is that it has very restrictive knife laws and Spanish society has other interests. I remember my grandfather, he always carried a knife in his pocket, all his friends also had. My father usually carries a Victorinox knife. But as a general rule it is not well seen, nowadays, to take a knife in any public place, besides being able to have problems with the agents of the law.
a greeting
Hello, it is quite common for men in my family and for me to carry a victorinox knife all the time. I've never had any trouble loading it. I am so used to using the knives during my work and daily life that I cannot live without them, I hope I never have problems with the law because of that. https://www.cuchilleriabarcelona.com/co ... rinox.html These are the type of knives I usually use all the time. My favorite is VI-06225.T2 , it is quite useful and practical. As it is small it goes unnoticed, I hope I don't have to stop taking them with me.
alexli

Post by alexli »

kol