Spain: Knife Making Power House!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spain: Knife Making Power House!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I wish more people realized how great a knife-producing country Spain is. The Spanish people not only manufactured some of the greatest swords and edged tools in history but to this very day they continue to do so. The quality is excellent and compared to some places and companies the prices can be very inexpensive for what you are getting. For example, in Spain they produce both the "Classic Patterns" such as traditional "Caraca" and non-caraca navaja folding knives, swords, daggers, and all sorts of items, and, they also produce new, cutting-edge modern designs of knives.

Some companies such as "Hen and Rooster" and even the famous German Puma Knives, have some of their lines manufactured in Spain. The steel is very good and the fit and finish is also very good.
JD Spydo

Re: Spain: Knife Making Power House!

Post by JD Spydo »

That is really strange that you bring up Spain as being noted for good knives. Because recently while going on my thrift store buying spree this past summer I got over a dozen great culinary knives made by J. A. Henckel. However we all know they are a German made knife but two of these were made in Spain :confused: . The two J. A. Henckel blades that were made in Spain are both of similar quality as some of my German made Henckel and Wustof blades are.

Other than the two J. A. Henckel culinary blades I have that are made in Spain I really don't know much about Spain's knives. For me I would say 99% of all the knives I own are made in the USA, Japan and Germany.

Now I will say something about one country I've encountered over the years. I went to several of the BLADE shows some time back and two of the knife makers from South Africa of all places really impressed me. I still have their business cards somewhere here where I live. Both of these knife makers from South Africa really seemed to have a lot of passion for what they did too. But other than the two Henckel blades I got that are made in Spain I have no experience with them unfortunately.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well, I'll try to be as honest as possible in this post re: Spanish cutlery (long post)

We were good until the 80s. Back then our Aitor and Marto brand knives (Jungle King, and Explora being worldwide known models, iconic Spanish blades and now considered classics) were well regarded in the EU, sold and manufactured for the UN soldiers, Spanish troops, European Mountain military divisions, Counter Terrorism, etc. and to the population as well (hikers, outdoorsmen, hunters...) :)

Muela, as well as Nieto and Joker, were making in-house designs with good construction, excellent performance and solid results, mostly oriented to hunters and outdoor related chores/tasks. Using the typical good quality steel from that era :rolleyes: (440B and C, AN58, and adding a bit of Chrome and Vanadium to them) and brass fittings, wooden handles and later synthetic polymer handles, rubber and plastic they were on par with the best products from France, Germany and Europe and we even made knives for them. :cool:

They looked well, preserved the "classic" patterns, shapes and materials and were successful for many decades. In the 90s with the birth of the tactical folder, clipped knives, and new steels they just couldn't keep up the rhythm.

They kept (and still are) producing classic "Carraca" Navaja knives (carraca meaning "ratchet" in Spanish, because of the sound that the locking mechanism makes) and traditional styled folders, but since the 2000s they've been stagnant and barely kept up with the "tactical/OHO knife craze"

The few companies that do those just import them from China and they are usually the low grade stuff (CrMoV steel, G10, flippers, re-branded and recycled stuff, etc.) because here there's no market for it, we don't have the steels and manufacturing processes to compete with China, Italy, Germany, Japan or the US and there's no precedent set in our country for these trends

Recently (2002 to 2015) and as the saddest thing related to this, Muela, Joker and Aitor started having losses and red numbers so they had to outsource part (or all of) production to China (Aitor, the biggest of them, was sold and brought back to life under new owners in 2003, who made all the old stuff now in China with lower grade materials, spottier QC, shoddy construction, etc. and far cry from the good quality products they were known for) :(

People still recognise the name(s) and think they are getting a genuine Spanish made high quality product, only to be deceived and disappointed most times (similar to what happened to Schrade in the US)

The only company that seems to be evolving and adapting well is Cudeman, they're having greater success internationally and they've expanded their line a lot, offering solid products with imported quality German steel and heat treats, good looking micarta handles and dependable fixed blades for the woods, camping, hiking and rural environments. :rolleyes:

Cudeman successfully temed up with several people knowledgeable in the field (survivalists, mountain trekkers, new design team...) in the last 10 years and they've managed to become better known in the international market and pull out new models and designs with considerable success, here in Spain mostly among knife nuts and people who know better and can see and feel quality in a knife :p
SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent, first of all my friend, your analysis is excellent, comprehensive, and straight-forward and helps myself and I am sure, others, alot. I was wondering about this very downside that you mention. All of the Aitor knives from the early 1990s and late 1980s seem to be very sturdy and durable cutting tools. And then, as you stated above, I have now begun to see Aitor-made knives outsources to China and while some of the designs look interesting, they are just not the same. Infact, as you have mentioned about German-made knives, you know Eickhorn from Solingen? They have a long history of superb knives, civilian and military. From what I can see, up until recently they were all made in Germany and of the top-quality materials. Now they too have outsourced and put their brand name on some lower quality and cheaper costing blades.

While we are on this topic, perhaps you and others on here can help me figure something out: There is a company called "Hen and Rooster" and some American knife retailers import their cutlery. Their designs seem to be both "classic traditional" folders and fixed blades, from Barlows and Stockmans to stag handled hunting knives, and, they have a few more modernized designs with rubber handles and nylon sheaths.

I saw one with a rubber handle and stainless steel blade and here is an online store that sells it:

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/p ... andle.html

I read that this knife is made in Spain. It looks good to me but do you think it is a good quality knife for that price?
SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent, here is a question related to the above: Even with the changes you mentioned in the Spanish knife-manufacturing market, can we be reasonably confident, that for the foreseeable future, those Spanish companies such as the ones in Albacete and elsewhere that make traditional Navajas and other traditional Spanish knives, will continue to do so, ie, we do not have to be concerned that they will go out of business and stop making those beautiful knives?
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

I am Spanish. In Spain magnificent knives are made. As in all the sites. You simply pay for what you have. For example the IP line of Puma is made in Spain (says Puma on its website) by Nieto, Salamandra, Joker , .. And sold much more expensive by Puma (they are the same models of Spanish brands, simply compare the models and the price) Surely the sheets of JAHenkel would be manufactured by Arcos. And as far as I know, Aitor is now owned by other owners. is that Aitor closed at one time and another mark the refloto and that is the one could see different qualities. I have some old Aitor knives and one of relatively current fisherman.No if yes of the previous owner or this.And it is not bad knife (in relation to the price that it has) .Three other three of when the brand reflota.Tos were quite good and one was quite disappointing.Most of my knives are traditional Taramundi (traditional knives of my region). Although I have many other ma rcas and artisans (Aitor, Muela, Nieto, Celaya, Joker, JJ. Martinez, Francisco Valencia, Rafael Wizner., ..) And honestly, I prefer them to brands from other countries that then manufacture anywhere except for where the brand is.
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

I am Spanish. In Spain magnificent knives are made. As in all the sites. You simply pay for what you have. For example the IP line of Puma is made in Spain (says Puma on its website) by Nieto, Salamandra, Joker , .. And sold much more expensive by Puma (they are the same models of Spanish brands, simply compare the models and the price) Surely the sheets of JAHenkel would be manufactured by Arcos. And as far as I know, Aitor is now owned by other owners. is that Aitor closed at one time and another mark the refloto and that is the one could see different qualities. But it was sold to another owner a few years ago. I have some old Aitor knives and one of relatively current fisherman. Not yes of the previous owner or of this. And it is not bad knife (in relation to the price that it has). another three when the brand was refloated. Two were quite good and one was quite disappointing. Most of my knives are traditional Taramundi (traditional knives of my region). Although I have many other brands and craftsmen (Aitor, Muela, Nieto , Celaya, Joker, JJ Martinez, Francisco Valencia, Rafael Wizner., ..) And honestly, I prefer them to brands from other countries that then manufacture anywhere except where the brand is from.
SpyderEdgeForever

valenciamanu, sir, I am so thankful for your post! Thank you! I needed to read this. This is very good a response.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:42 pm

I saw one with a rubber handle and stainless steel blade and here is an online store that sells it:

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/p ... andle.html

I read that this knife is made in Spain. It looks good to me but do you think it is a good quality knife for that price?

yes I am aware of Eickhorn knives, their history and relationship with the German military and their current changes and practices in manufacturing :o

That H.Rooster knife looks like it is probably made by Nieto or Cudeman by the looks of it alone, its lines and the materials apparently used

I believe that we'll luckily keep the tradition of making multi-blade traditionals, navajas, and other old time classic knives as long as we're a country with its own identity. These are attractive to both tourists and locals for use, recreation, outdoor activities, memory-tied objects and as a gift, a heirloom piece to use and pass on or simply an everyday working knife like the ones of the fathers and grandfathers of current generations. :rolleyes:

No fear of their disappearance at all, fortunately, much like the Higonokamis, Opinels, Sardinian Resolzas and Mercators of their respective countries, they have a reason to be successful and to stay for decades to come :cool:
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

On one occasion I read in a Spanish forum about a fixed-blade heen and rooster knife in which the owner of a reputable cutlery said it was made by Jose Exposito. And that he has two equal knives. What I do not know is if it was just that model. a greeting
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

valenciamanu wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:54 pm
On one occasion I read in a Spanish forum about a fixed-blade heen and rooster knife in which the owner of a reputable cutlery said it was made by Jose Exposito. And that he has two equal knives. What I do not know is if it was just that model. a greeting

not only that one. Hen and Rooster has/had a division called "Hen and Rooster International" and a "Hen and Rooster Germany" one, which I believe subcontracts several models to Italian and Spanish manufacturers to this day.
In the past (90s) the only EU Country to make H&R knives was Germany, I believe, mostly Boker and Linder were the mfgs. :confused:
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Thank you very much for the clarification. a greeting
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

it seems like Boker still has faith on us... :o

https://knifenews.com/boker-plus-expand ... rs-knives/
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you for the article, ThePeacent! This is very good news. I took a look at that Bush Craft folder, as shown here on the Boker website:

https://www.bokerusa.com/pocketknives/b ... to-01bo380

The Boker Bush Craft. It has Sandvik 12C27 blade and Micarta handles.

Look at their fixed blade, the Generalist:

https://www.bokerusa.com/fixed-blade-kn ... to-02bo351

Very very cool!
SpyderEdgeForever

By the way, is this true or false? Someone who visited Spain once told me that at one point in Spain it was commonplace for a person to walk into a cafe or restaurant, sit down and get into a chat with locals, and if the chat went to the topic of knives, suddenly numerous Spanish men and women sitting around would whip out various folder and fixed blade knives of many different types, from classic to more modernized. Does that sound more like an urban legend or reality?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 am
By the way, is this true or false? Someone who visited Spain once told me that at one point in Spain it was commonplace for a person to walk into a cafe or restaurant, sit down and get into a chat with locals, and if the chat went to the topic of knives, suddenly numerous Spanish men and women sitting around would whip out various folder and fixed blade knives of many different types, from classic to more modernized. Does that sound more like an urban legend or reality?

maybe in the past historical times that was the case, but nowadays...forget about it! :p
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 am

maybe in the past historical times that was the case, but nowadays...forget about it! :p
Hey PEACENT my good Brother I know I asked you this a while back but I was wondering if you had stumbled on to any new information. If you remember I asked you about those J.A. Henckel knives I got last summer at a local thrift store and I discovered that two of them were made in your home country of Spain. Do you yet have any idea which cutlery company in Spain would have made or assembled those knives for J.A. Henckel? Because the quality of them are great IMO.

I can't really tell much if any difference between the blade steel in those made in Spain and the original German made Henckel units. The steel in them I suspect was probably made in Germany at the Henckel plant I suspect and were later assembled in Spain. The reason I say that is when I sharpen them I can't tell any difference at all between the two. I was hoping to find out because which ever company did these truly did a great job IMO. Especially that one paring knife it's like working with a culinary straight razor.

Always great to hear your comments Brother :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:13 am

Hey PEACENT my good Brother I know I asked you this a while back but I was wondering if you had stumbled on to any new information. If you remember I asked you about those J.A. Henckel knives I got last summer at a local thrift store and I discovered that two of them were made in your home country of Spain. Do you yet have any idea which cutlery company in Spain would have made or assembled those knives for J.A. Henckel? Because the quality of them are great IMO.

I can't really tell much if any difference between the blade steel in those made in Spain and the original German made Henckel units. The steel in them I suspect was probably made in Germany at the Henckel plant I suspect and were later assembled in Spain. The reason I say that is when I sharpen them I can't tell any difference at all between the two. I was hoping to find out because which ever company did these truly did a great job IMO. Especially that one paring knife it's like working with a culinary straight razor.

Always great to hear your comments Brother :)

hi JD, hope you're better after those horrible migraines :o
The information is really scarce and since that last post of yours I've only been able to find a little bit of new info regarding Henckels and the brands' relation with Spanish cutlery :(

Obviously, not all Henckels blades are equal. There are 3 tiers in Henckels. Tier 3 (lowest in quality) are the "single"-Henckels (they don't have the "twins" in the logo, just one man), all made in China. Tier 2 are Zwilling-Henckels Twin Signature & Twin Gourmet series. These knives are made in Spain and (more importantly) stamped-blades. Tier 1 are the rest of Zwilling-Henckels (Pro, Four-star, etc), which contain the forged-blades, made in Germany.

there is one exception, the 'single' man Henckels found at Costco are made in Spain with German forged steel. The are most likely Zwillings sold as Henckels International as a special Costco version.

We make here some blades with imported German steel from Solingen, and they are part of the "Henckels International" sub-brand :D Not all Henckels International knives are made in China :cool:

and I can also give you this info from their customer service:
► Show Spoiler
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got a feeling that the J.A. Henckels I have are from Costco>> because we have a lot of Costco wholesale outlets here in the area I'm living in. Actually I would even bet on it at this point. Because the steel in these Spain made Henckels I have is really decent blade steel and some of the best culinary blade steel knives I own at this time. I still can't get over the fact that I didn't pay over $2 US dollars for either one of them :cool:

I do compare the steel in these Spain made Henckels to that of the two WUSTOF German made blades I also have in my culinary collection. Those WUSTOF blades are comparable and slightly just a bit harder>> you can really notice that aspect of them when honing with one of Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones.

I would love to get my hands on a J.A. Henckels Straight Razor>> I've heard that the razors that them and BOKER both make are awesome.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:09 am
I wish more people realized how great a knife-producing country Spain is. The Spanish people not only manufactured some of the greatest swords and edged tools in history but to this very day they continue to do so. The quality is excellent and compared to some places and companies the prices can be very inexpensive for what you are getting. For example, in Spain they produce both the "Classic Patterns" such as traditional "Caraca" and non-caraca navaja folding knives, swords, daggers, and all sorts of items, and, they also produce new, cutting-edge modern designs of knives.

Some companies such as "Hen and Rooster" and even the famous German Puma Knives, have some of their lines manufactured in Spain. The steel is very good and the fit and finish is also very good.
I have a Puma assembled in Spain. The quality is very good. It is a beautiful knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050