People still like Benchmade?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Re: People still like Benchmade?

Post by MichaelScott »

I liked the DWO. Bought a back up, eventually lost them both.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:48 pm
People still like Benchmade?
Yes.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have some from years ago, and they're nice, but you know, Sal and Eric the E Man just know ergos way, way,way better. That and the round hole... and did I mention the wharncliffe Delica? ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I have about 10. Lately only the Bugout and a full size Grip beater in my garage see any use.

A 330 was the nicest gift anyone had ever given me, and my only EDC for over a decade before I bought a Dragonfly, then it was all downhill from there ;)

The Bugout is a wonderfully simple return to form, and one of my favorite knives after a scale upgrade. I'm really looking forward to a better steel option, but their S30v is pretty great.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I only have my favorites from years ago.

710 a classic that will remain timeless for me. I still keep my eye out for the limited edition models

707 Sequel, possibly my favorite and most carried Benchmade. Still have a spare, NIB sitting in my safe that will become my son's one day

635 Mini Skirmish, a solid little frame lock that packs a huge amount of blade in a compact handle, it was my first RIL knife. I now have a custom damascus blade in mine.

Several models since my departure from collecting BM have caught my eye, none have checked enough boxes though for me to actually make a purchase.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wonder if anybody is paying the $340 for the micro pocket rocket.

Also, anybody who complains about Spyderco's prices after being a benchmade fan is ridiculous.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

I think the Benchmade anthem is pretty cool but not 425$ cool. That’s really the problem I have with most of Benchmade’s knives, IMHO the quality doesn’t live up to the price tag. Also now that other companies can make the AXIS lock I just don’t really see what Benchmade has going for them right now.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just picked up a Benchmade fixed blade today, and I'm looking for someone with a large axis lock folder to trade. They have a few models these days that catch my eye, like the fact and bedlam.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm
I just picked up a Benchmade fixed blade today, and I'm looking for someone with a large axis lock folder to trade. They have a few models these days that catch my eye, like the fact and bedlam.
Vivi, I recommend you try the black coated m4 contigo, especially with rogue blade works less aggressive scales. The 810 Contego is a beast, best thing they make.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Vivi wrote:
Ill second the Bedlam. Thats a good looking knife, which Ive been looking at for a while.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm
Vivi wrote:
Vivi, I recommend you try the black coated m4 contigo, especially with rogue blade works less aggressive scales. The 810 Contego is a beast, best thing they make.
Good to know, I've been tempted to pick up the knifeworks exclusive contigo.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've got a few Benchmade knives. Funny as much as I prefer Spyderco knives, a few Benchmades are among my never sell list. Old BM Mel Pardue framelock was in my pocket during the birth of my 1st son. Original BM 940 was in my pocket during the birth of my 2nd son. Both those have been put up till they are older for them to have. Then I still have my BM/Emerson CQC-7 that I carried in the Army.

Currently 3 Benchmade knives are part of my EDC rotation. BM Bugout, BM 531, and a BM/H&K Axis-lock. The BM 531 use to be my EDC when I still wore scrubs. Went back an forth between it and my SE ZDP-189 Delica during that time. When I finally finished my degree I bought one of the H&K Axis-locks made by Benchmade. They were a great deal at the price. When I saw the Bugout I had to have one. Even lighter than my BM 531 and a bit more ergonomic handle. Just wish it was G10 instead of the plastic scales and a different steel. Regardless it makes a great office carry EDC in my current job.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The bugout is one of the best folder designs I've seen in the past 5 years....I just wish they made an XL version. If they made one with a 4.25" blade, I'd be surprised if I only bought one.
:unicorn
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Benchmade still makes the best production line balisong around. I have a 44 & 45 model from the late 1990's that still finds pocket time and have actually gotten smoother with age. They are a bit on the heavy side, but I don't ever see myself getting rid of them.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I have new (within the last year) Benchmade Bugout and Griptilian knives and they are great. Perfectly made and arrived sharp and perfectly centred.

I own 3 Benchmades and 20 Spydercos/Byrds though, so I do tend to prefer Spydercos.
sonoma

Post by sonoma »

I recently bought a bugout and a 943 Osborne.Very impressed with both.A gun store I frequent has 15% off a certain brand of knife in the fall and winter.October was 15% off on benchmade.Looking foreward to the 15% off Spyderco month.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They've killed off most of my favorites, and it's illegal for me to own the awesome 9100 and 5000. The bugout, contego,fancy griptillians, and the 94x are still killer knives
sonoma

Post by sonoma »

I have 2 of the 5500 mini presidios switchblades that are wonderful knives.Luckily I live in a free state where I can legally carry a switchblade and a glock.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I like my 553 combo edge griptilian enough I'm debating another for $68
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Well, to be fair I believe part of it is people getting too stuck in their respective camps and overly defensive so unless you happen to like both brands you don't see much interest in the other. Coming from the Marines I can say of the higher end knives benchmade pretty much rules the US military market, followed by multitools from gerber and leatherman. I've only come across one other Marine with a spyderco knife. From what I've seen a lot of LEO follows a similar pattern. In that kind of environment a sprint run in a fancy steel doesn't interest most as these knives are going to be used and abused versus being more of a light collector piece.
"Seven for One"