BD1N Steel: Are there size limits for blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

BD1N Steel: Are there size limits for blades?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have read some posts on this forum and also elsewhere (various knife-enthusiast websites) and there seems to be a consensus that BD1N stainless steel, nitrogen steel, is a very good blade steel. My question is, based on what is available on the data sheets and from anyone's experience with it, would this steel be equally good for both large and small blades, such as large fixed blades for hunting and fishing and outdoor chores, as well as folders, or, is it better suited for folders, as far as potential brittleness issues? I'm just curious because from what I have read, it seems to have a good balance between edge-holding and corrosion-resistance.

I have seen it used on large-sized kitchen knives but I wonder about its use on large (4 inch and above) fixed blades for outdoor use.
supracor

Re: BD1N Steel: Are there size limits for blades?

Post by supracor »

I have seen Zdp189 and Hap72 bowies therefore i don't think that you cannot make a large BD1N big blade.
i would understand more a BD1N chopper than a Vanadis 4/CPM 4V one.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

There is a 210mm chef's knife made in BD1N at 63 RC, so it seems that someone thinks it's adequate for larger blades. Since the goal of BD1N vs. BD1 seems to have been to improve hardenability past the 59-60 RC range, I doubt that this alloy is aimed at ultimate toughness... that certainly hasn't stopped plenty of makers from (successfully) using moderate to poor toughness steels in fixed blades though.
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would like to know the answer to this. I have larger fixed blades in 14C28N and D2 (among others) and these are not normally thought of in terms of large knives. I guess it depends on the use. In the cases of the steels I mentioned, they are hunting knives and not choppers. I would think BD1N in a hunting knife would do wonderfully, perhaps even excel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050