There is plenty of humor here so, who are your favorite professional comedians?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Crux

There is plenty of humor here so, who are your favorite professional comedians?

Post by Crux »

Past and present.

There is so much talent out there and I agree with Bloke about the value of comedy. If we all laughed just a tad bit more everyday the world might just be a better place. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Larry_Mott

Re: There is plenty of humor here so, who are your favorite professional comedians?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Billy Connolly is THE undisputed king IMO
Pablo Fransisco and Louis CK can be hilarious too
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Meat man

Re: There is plenty of humor here so, who are your favorite professional comedians?

Post by The Meat man »

#1 of all time is Jack Benny. I've listened to every one of his weekly radio shows from when he began back in the mid 30's to the 50's. Timeless stuff!

I also enjoy Phil Harris and Alice Faye, Bob Newhart, and Bob & Ray, to name a few.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The late great Mr. Jerry Clower.
Frank Caliendo - impressionist- you must here him do John Madden lol.....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dave Chappelle came to my university (2002?) and it was definitely the hardest I’ve laughed. I have no idea what any of the jokes were, and I think that’s a good sign.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Carlin
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
benben

Post by benben »

Tim Wilson live was absolutely as hard as I've ever laughed in my life!! I've seen some great comedians live but Tim was so funny because he was having as much fun as everyone in the audience, plus he was a very intelligent comedian! Google some of his "uncle BS, where were you" skits. I always liked George Carlin also, never saw him live though.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Without any doubt: Roland Düringer

No worry if you don't know him, I also don't know your favorites ... :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
supracor

Post by supracor »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am
Carlin
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Perhaps not a "full blown" comedian but always liked Johnny Carson. Was great late night, just not the same anymore. Saturday Night Live in it's early years was also great, Belushi, Martin, Radner, Chase, Akroyd classic stuff, imo not so much any more. Also a Carlin fan

edit to add Red Skelton was pretty dern funny. Also favorite "non-professional" comedian around here is...….Bloke :p
Last edited by Tdog on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I like home grown Aussie Comedians who laugh at themselves just as much as anyone else. :)

You may get a laugh out of this bloke. He’s a funny bugger and goes alright for the first three minutes in the clip below but looses it a bit after that I think. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/5a39fS-82HE
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am
Carlin
Carlin's my all-time favorite. I listened to Class Clown so many times I can darn near recite most of it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

My new favorite comedian is an Aussie Gent named Bloke :) Apart from him, I like some of the old-time professionals like Laurel and Hardy, Abbot And Costello, the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges, and some of the modern ones. There is this one guy, I forget his name, and he sortof goes in the footsteps of George Carlin, but is different, and he has a stand-up routine where he makes jokes about societal commentary. I will try to find his name and see if I can post a video or two of his performances on here.
Then there is that Gallagher guy who is famous for smashing fruit on stage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallagher_(comedian)

Supposedly Johnny Carson did not allow him on The Tonight Show when he was the host because he (Carson) did not like prop comedy.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding comedians, do you all think there were ancient comedians that entertained ancient societies? There must have been. There is the history of the court jester and also clowns.
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

I am a big fan of mike birbiglia and I also really like the older Dave Chappelle stuff I’m talking about the chappelle show and earlier.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:21 am
...I like some of the old-time professionals like Laurel and Hardy, Abbot And Costello, the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges, and some of the modern ones....
Yes! Laurel and Hardy are absolutely in my top 3 favorites of all time. :D

I'm surprised though. Are there no fellow fans of Jack Benny here?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
supracor

Post by supracor »

Someone knows Beppe Grillo?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

For some reason my mind went to comedians I've actually seen in person. Giving it more thought, I can't leave out Chris Rock. My friends and I, when something comes up that he talked about in one of his old stand-up routines (Bring the Pain, Bigger and Blacker, etc), look at each other and say: "it always comes back to Chris Rock stand-up." Here's a link to rolling stones list of his top ten jokes, warning, profanity. Hilarious profanity.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Carlin is a God, also was a big fan of Richard Pryor. I like a lot of Bill Burr's stuff too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:38 am
Carlin is a God, also was a big fan of Richard Pryor. I like a lot of Bill Burr's stuff too.
I agree with all of this. I just caught Bill Burr a couple weeks ago. His current stuff is super relevant and hilarious.

Going to see Kyle Kinane next week. He is one of my favorite lesser-known comedians working today.

*edit to add*
Thinking about the classics who havent been named I gotta throw Rodney Dangerfield in and of we cant forget about Mr. Warmth himself, Don Rickles. Both amazing on Carson and in stand up.