Multi-Tools & Specialty Tools

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Multi-Tools & Specialty Tools

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:15 pm

My latest is the Jetsetter, possibly the worlds most pointless pocket knife as it doesn’t have a blade, just scissors and a multi, but we’re flying to Verona at the end of the month, budget flights, so no hold luggage ...
I have had a Jetsetter for a few years precisely because of travel. That is what it was designed for. Plus, in some countries, even a small Vic Classic is a prison sentence. It at least gives me a small set of useful tools. I use the scissors, toothpick, and tweezers a lot. The Phillipshead and bottle opener less so. It is decent for what it is supposed to be.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:40 pm
Because it appears to me that they put more quality in their great line up of Multi-tools more than they do with just about any other product they throw at us.

But VICTORINOX really puts their best foot forward on their Multi-tools. I've ended up selling and trading a lot of my Victorinox Swiss Army knives because their multitools are so much better for hard work and outdoor chores.

that might be because their multitools, as opposed to their traditional knives:

- have stainless steel pivots,pins and bodies instead of brass or aluminum ones, making them stronger in all dimensions than standard SAKs

- have been released and developed in the last 20 years, instead of beginning with 1940s technology, materials and design. Much improvement has been made throughout the years to deliver an almost perfect product from the start, whereas SAKs have been tweaked and improved starting from an old, limited design

- they put more "quality" because and using steel instead of cellidor gives strength, confidence and additional weight that inspires confidence and solidity in hand

I have cracked, fractured and broken lots of cellidor scales like this Swisschamp that fell from shoulder height to the floor. Now it wiggles a lot :(

but when my Spirit fell from 20ft into solid cement, only this chip resulted in the scales, no functional issues :p

Normal SAKs are better suited for the average Joe, whereas Multitools are more adequate for tradesmen, workers, tinkererers, handymen and continuous and strenuous daily use :)
Water Bug wrote: didn't believe it would be worth the money. Fast forward a few years and I'm seeing colleagues and students using the Pocket Survival Tool for many applications...

Water Bug wrote: I'm not necessarily impressed with Gerber's multi-tools and have not handled any of Victornox's multi-tools outside of their SAKs. I really have no interest in other brands of multi-tools as Leatherman tools provide everything I need when it comes to these type of tools.

you should check the MP600, official issued tool for the US Army for years. Nicknamed the "AK 47 of multitools", but it has some less than impressive things indeed... :o Toughness, ease of use and solidity not being one of them :cool:

You ought to try the Spirit before you make a definitive statement though :rolleyes: ...we are here not because we need another Spyderco or more than one Multitool :D

Water Bug wrote:
I also have the Leatherman Tool Adapter (one designed for the Super Tool 200 and one designed for the Super Tool 300) which, in my opinion, offers the best means of making a multi-tool into a hex driver

that is one great piece of equipment, and works with the Spirit too... :p

Water Bug wrote:
And, if you've noticed, these are, with the exception of the Micra, Leatherman's older generation tools that the company has long since retired... thing is, I prefer the design and function of the older generation Leatherman tools over any of their newer stuff... I mean, why replace something that works? :)

well, actually, the Micra and the Crunch are the two oldest Leatherman tools still in production :eek: and I also prefer older tools in General from my favorite MT brands, being those SOG (I prefer the PP, PPP and Blacktip, and Powerlock over the PowerAssist, PowerAccess, PowerPlay, PowerLitre, PowerPint, and Switchplier :rolleyes: ) and Leatherman (Favorites are Micra, Pulse, Crunch, Blast, Squirt [older discontinued models] and the Rebar is the exception as it's relatively new)
I am a fan of all LM tools though :spyder:

finally, though LM was pioneer and the first one, we shall not forget other innovations that were brought to life by other companies and that Leatherman has copied afterwards, like the OHO pliers on the OHT, the OHO externally accessible blade on the Wave, Surge, Skeletool and others, the inclusion of Replaceable Wire Cutters on the Wave+, Surge, ST300...and the OHO outside accessible scissors. :o

Next thing they need to copy is the Compound Leverage from SOG when the patent expires :p :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Peacent and everyone: This Gerber Multi Tool: The Suspension: It is all stainless and supposedly they increased the blade length of the knife. Take a look at it and tell me if you think it is a good one for general purposes and emergency survival, please.

This is the latest generation of it: The Suspension NXT:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/ ... _31-003345

It is shown to be all stainless steel.

But then for a little more is the Gerber Truss. This one gives you two knife blades and a saw.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/ ... _31-003304
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

About 8 years ago I had a Gerber multi-tool. And for the life of me I can't seem to remember the name of that particular model. But it was billed as one of their "fishing" multitools . It had a really narrow set of pliers that were almost needle-nosed. I had it for about 3 months and then a friend of mine fell in love with it and bought it from me. I got it in a trade over at bladeforums and I wish now I would have kept it. I didn't like it as much as my Victorinox multi-tools but it wasn't a bad unit either.

At one time Gerber had a decent reputation with their knives. Them and SOG both were slightly above average and I've heard that SOG also has a decent multitool as well.

I would love to see FALLKNIVEN, BOKER & BENCHMADE all come up with a Multitool.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm
Peacent and everyone: This Gerber Multi Tool: The Suspension: It is all stainless and supposedly they increased the blade length of the knife. Take a look at it and tell me if you think it is a good one for general purposes and emergency survival, please.

This is the latest generation of it: The Suspension NXT:
It is shown to be all stainless steel.
But then for a little more is the Gerber Truss. This one gives you two knife blades and a saw.

yeah I've been following those.
The Suspension never attracted me but the NXT is a great evolution of that design. I might get one some day, but the Suspension was their cheapest made tool, rebranded in a Chinese factory that also makes H&K Multitools and Ganzo MTs like the ones I had :o

It is a passable tool, especially for the $, but far cry from their old models and great MP line of tools :rolleyes:
JD Spydo wrote: About 8 years ago I had a Gerber multi-tool. And for the life of me I can't seem to remember the name of that particular model. But it was billed as one of their "fishing" multitools . It had a really narrow set of pliers that were almost needle-nosed.

At one time Gerber had a decent reputation with their knives. Them and SOG both were slightly above average and I've heard that SOG also has a decent multitool as well.

I would love to see FALLKNIVEN, BOKER & BENCHMADE all come up with a Multitool.
that must've been the MP600 Fisherman tool, a rare fishing oriented variant of their classic best selling MP series

https://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-mul ... -47572.htm

I love the MP and they were military issue for a reason
Solid, tough, basic and easy to use affordable tools :cool: they have even been copied by Chinese makers (in the center, one of my copies, next to two real MP600s :eek: ) with little to no success :p

Boker makes multitools in China in the SAK Format, their highly praised "Tech Tools" with several models. I'd like to try one :rolleyes:
The Chinese can produce very good multitools, just like with knives, you just need to pay enough and keep the QC on check. SOG, Gerber, Emerson, Boker, EGO, Multitasker and others are proof of it :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah PEACENT the one you had on that link is indeed the one I had>> again I wish now I wouldn't have traded it. I got it in a trade thinking it would be a great one to keep in one of my fishing tackle boxes on a permanent basis but I was in a pinch for money and a good friend of mine offered me just about what it sold for new and I caved in and sold it to him. Like I said before VICTORINOX is really my favorite and I wish they would come up with a multi-tool strictly for fishing or fishing/hunting combo for that matter. But that is the one and I do remember those extremely slender pliers that it has and they were very handy.

One thing I will say about the pliers on my VICTORINOX Swiss Tool is that they are real high quality pliers just like what you would get from Craftsman or Snap-On. But I do with that they would make a unit specially for fishing.