Show your Gransfors Bruks Axes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Holland

Show your Gransfors Bruks Axes

Post by Holland »

I have been eyeing the small forest axe for a while. I would love to see some well loved gransfors bruks to help me pull the trigger
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bloke

Re: Show your Gransfors Bruks Axes

Post by Bloke »

This is my Wildlife Hatchet. I’ve had it for about ten years. Certainly well loved but hardly used.

I bought it, amongst other things to chop heads and feet off shot rabbits for dog food at a property I visit but it’s too nice so I’ve only split kindle and carved a bit of Mango wood with it. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've heard nothing but good about Granfors Bruks tools. I have a small collection of axes and hatchets but I've yet to get a Granfors Bruks. From what I've heard there is only a couple of true USA made axes left on the market. But I've heard that all of the Swedish made axes are truly top quality.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd love to own one of these axes. Been eyeing the 36" felling axe for quite awhile now, but I can't quite bring myself to spend the money.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Another Wildlife Hatchet, this time from Austria ... :)
Where are all the US-brothers and sisters with products from Gransfors???

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Old camping set-up I use to use.
Attachments
2008_02290005 (Small).JPG
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 am
I've heard nothing but good about Granfors Bruks tools. I have a small collection of axes and hatchets but I've yet to get a Granfors Bruks. From what I've heard there is only a couple of true USA made axes left on the market. But I've heard that all of the Swedish made axes are truly top quality.
I've never held a gransfors but i feel pretty confident saying that my council tools velvicut (USA made) is better quality than my hults bruk (swedish made). Both are highly regarded. The handle, head shape, and the way the steel is heat treated (and how far back it's hardened from the edge) are, IMO better on the CT from chopping oak to pine. Pops chips out better and doesn't dull easily chopping into hardwoods like the hults bruk does. Both perform well in soft woods. The handle on the CT velvicut is outstanding.

The fact that CT made the spyderco hatchethawk head the same way they make their velvicut heads is a great thing, IMO.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sorry, no Gransfors... only a Wetterlings and a Husqvarna.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I've never held a gransfors but i feel pretty confident saying that my council tools velvicut (USA made) is better quality than my hults bruk (swedish made). Both are highly regarded. The handle, head shape, and the way the steel is heat treated (and how far back it's hardened from the edge) are, IMO better on the CT from chopping oak to pine. Pops chips out better and doesn't dull easily chopping into hardwoods like the hults bruk does. Both perform well in soft woods. The handle on the CT velvicut is outstanding.

The fact that CT made the spyderco hatchethawk head the same way they make their velvicut heads is a great thing, IMO.
As far as I know Council Tool and Estwing are the only USA made axes at the time of this writing ( 9-30-18). Unless you would count all the ones now being made by Custom Knife makers>> however most of those are in the $300+ price range. I have an old Sears Craftsman USA made hatchet that I bought from Sears all the way back to the mid 80s ( really dating myself :rolleyes: ). After using it all these years I find it's quality even comparable to many other top brands made in the USA over the years.

I've talked to a lot of people over the years and I've yet to determine who made the Sears Craftsman units :confused:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 am
Bodog wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

As far as I know Council Tool and Estwing are the only USA made axes at the time of this writing ( 9-30-18). Unless you would count all the ones now being made by Custom Knife makers>> however most of those are in the $300+ price range. I have an old Sears Craftsman USA made hatchet that I bought from Sears all the way back to the mid 80s ( really dating myself :rolleyes: ). After using it all these years I find it's quality even comparable to many other top brands made in the USA over the years.

I've talked to a lot of people over the years and I've yet to determine who made the Sears Craftsman units :confused:

Yeah, back in the olden days of last century Craftsman was still quality product, rather than the mixed bag it has become.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 am
Bodog wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I believe Snow and Nealley are making axes in the USA again. They did go offshore at one point but the current owners have moved production back to the US.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have one, it's a great tool. Look after it and it will look after you.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Bodog wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I find the gb are better quality and have a far better finish than the ct velvicuts I own.
I do have a soft spot for my velvicut bad axe, but it can’t displace my gb ScFA as my favourite, the balance is perfect for me and I prefer flat deep cutting cheeks.
But the ax I always pick up is my outdoor axe, it punches far above its weight and so packable
Holland

Post by Holland »

Finally bought a small forest axe

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Crux

Post by Crux »

You can do the same thing with a 52100 Para 3. Top researchers and scientists have theorized that by 2035 all edged tools will essentially be Para 3s. Might be time to sell off the riff raff. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: