Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19563
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Well today I did something I haven't done in quite a while>> but now I know why I swore off the crap a long time ago. I was running an errand and waiting on my lady friend and I was thirsty so I went to the burger joint next door and got me a Cola (not diet). That's probably the first USA made soft drink I've had in close to 8 years. With the exception of when a good friend of mine comes over occasionally and brings some Mexican Coca-Cola which is brewed by USA 1960s standards and it's made with pure cane sugar rather than this GMO poisoned, high fructose corn sweetener.

Well most of you are probably saying >> So what?!! What's the big deal?! OK fair enough because I do realize that 95% of the USA population drink the stuff almost on a daily basis. But about 15 minutes after I downed that poison on ice :rolleyes: I started to really feel like total hammered crap and didn't feel better for about 3 hours or so. When my lady friend got back ( shes my friend who is the health food expert) and she saw me carrying the cup I had the drink it and she said >> you didn't really drink that garbage did you??!!! and of course I was honest and told her the truth. And then I heard her lecture that lasted about a one hour long :rolleyes: I listened to her diatribe about how absolutely poison the soft drinks are here in the USA and when I got to feeling really yeechy she really gave me a bottle of Spring water and said not to do that again.

I'm now convinced that all soft drinks you get here in the USA are truly poison and will wreak havoc on your health if you keep drinking them. But on the other hand that one friend of mine who brings over those Mexican Coca-Colas from Mexico ( hes in the Import/export business) and I don't think those are nearly as bad. Those Mexican Cokes are made like the Coke we had here in the 1960s &70s ( actually delicious)>> because all these newer soft drinks don't even taste good anymore IMO. At some point when they went over to high fructose corn syrup and you all know that the diet stuff with aspertame ( nutrasweet) is truly next to embalming fluid with it's well known toxicity. Let's talk about soft drinks? Why did the USA totally adulterate those great old classic soda pops into something that I wouldn't give to someone I even hated. Is the bottom line "Money" all that important? Apparently so. Actually I urge all of you to totally avoid soft drinks here in the USA. I truly believe it's worse than cigarettes, Whiskey, weed and a number of other substances we shouldn't partake heavily in. Actually I think they've adulterated the entire food supply with a myriad of chemicals, food additives, flavor enhancers, toxic food colors and stuff you can't even pronounce the name of :rolleyes: . Let's talk about these "poison" soft drinks and compare them to the old/original formulas.

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby Pelagic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 am

High fructose corn syrup is one of the worst things you can put in your body. Fructose is different than glucose and other sugars. It's digested by the liver, and is debatably worse than alcohol. Even eating tons of FRUIT can cause a fatty liver from all the fructose (but it would take a lot of high-fructose, low fiber fruits/fruit juices). And to think, artificial sweeteners are even worse...
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19563
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 am

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 am
High fructose corn syrup is one of the worst things you can put in your body. Fructose is different than glucose and other sugars. It's digested by the liver, and is debatably worse than alcohol. Even eating tons of FRUIT can cause a fatty liver from all the fructose (but it would take a lot of high-fructose, low fiber fruits/fruit juices). And to think, artificial sweeteners are even worse...
Thank you "Pelagic"!! Because like I said in my opening post it had been quite some time when I literally swore off drinking soft drinks. And you are so right!! saying that the artificial sweeteners are even worse. I had a really good friend who was diabetic and I tried my heart out to get him to quit smoking and more importantly I was truly trying to get him to quit drinking up to 12 of those poison diet soft drinks a day. They ended up finding him dead in his apartment in Ft. Walton FL at age 53 :( and he was such a great, super good hearted guy that was one the very true friends I had during my own personal trainwreck I had in 2009-2010.

He literally embalmed himself so the undertaker wouldn't have to bother with it :( And I'm not saying that to be funny either because I truly believe that's what the poor guy did to himself. It seems like those GOD-forsaken diet soft drinks are so addictive that I have to believe that the inventors of that poison knew that it had those properties to it beforehand>> just like the cigarette manufacturers did as well.

But you are so correct pointing that out because my dear lady friend who has advised me over the years about how disgusting and toxic our food and drinks are here in the USA. How could any body with any decency with the Food & Drug Administration ever make that crap legal for consumer use to begin with??? I doubt if even drinking large quantities of alcohol would have even done that much damage as my friend suffered. On the other hand I truly believe that the American consumer is without a doubt the most ill-informed, stupid consumer on the planet. GOD help us :(

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4720
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby Bloke » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 pm
... all these newer soft drinks ...
Image
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7024
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby MacLaren » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:01 am

Scott drinks are bad no doubt. But, theres a lot worse things.
Like alcohol. The most devastating drug ever invented. Has wrecked more homes, destroyed more lives than any other drug and certainly more than fructose syrup. Yet, we still advertise alcohol in this country daily. Cant advertise tobacco, but you can alcohol. Go figure.
I hear your point on soft drinks, I really do. But, they pale in comparison to alcohol.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7435
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby vivi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am

Soft drinks are trash. I'd take it a step further and say avoid any caffeine too.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19563
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:41 am

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:01 am
Scott drinks are bad no doubt. But, theres a lot worse things.
Like alcohol. The most devastating drug ever invented. Has wrecked more homes, destroyed more lives than any other drug and certainly more than fructose syrup. Yet, we still advertise alcohol in this country daily. Cant advertise tobacco, but you can alcohol. Go figure.
I hear your point on soft drinks, I really do. But, they pale in comparison to alcohol.
That's a well made and very good point "MacLaren" and I wouldn't argue with you for one second about it either, I've got 6 friends that I know for certain that would still be alive had it not been for their "Out Of Control" alcohol problem. And I've been to so many funerals of guys and gals who died way before their time because of being addicted to whiskey, wine and any other variants of alcohol. Many years ago ( late teens, early 20s) I myself became addicted to alcohol because I was trying to self medicate with it. Thank GOD above I wised up after seeing two people very dear to me that did die from alcohol.

But at least Alcohol isn't available to children nor do you have parents as a general rule that serve it to them like they do with this poison we call soda pop. We have so much diabetes, hypo-glycemia, obesity and just down right destroyed health mainly because of this adulterated soda pop that we literally force feed to our children. After what happened to me yesterday after just drinking one large cola drink I truly felt like malignant garbage. But do understand this crap we call soda pop is taking it's toll on vulnerable members of our society>> mainly because it is legal even for 2 year olds to drink :( But you are so right about the booze problem we have in this country and also all over the globe. Because it's all about the tax money they raise on it.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4720
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby Bloke » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 am

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am
Soft drinks are trash. I'd take it a step further and say avoid any caffeine too.
I don’t think a coffee or two a day could be that bad VivI? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19563
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am

Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am
Soft drinks are trash. I'd take it a step further and say avoid any caffeine too.
I don’t think a coffee or two a day could be that bad VivI? :)
Well if caffeine was the villian that it has been accused of>> then by all means I should have been a victim by now because that is one vice I do have. I drink anywhere from 3 cups of coffee a day to two complete pots full a day in some cases. I even consider myself to be a coffee connoisseur too. I have my own bean grinder and I'm always getting top quality coffee beans in bulk. All of my friends know that if they want a really good quality cup of coffee that they can get it from me because I have a pot on almost all the time.

I heard in the past 6 months that there was a 10 year study that they did in Denmark of all places that men who drank their coffee with no creamer, sweeteners or any other additives tend to live longer than people who don't drink it at all. I drink all my coffee straight black and never put any of that crap in it. I've been an avid coffee drinker since I was 14 years old because my parents always had fresh coffee in the house and I'll be 65 this December. I've drank coffee from all over the globe. Unless it was what caused my knees to deteriorate I can safely say that it hasn't hurt me yet.

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby BornIn1500 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am

Everything is bad in excess. Even too much water can kill you, too much sun can kill you, etc. The key to soda (and everything else) is moderation. Of course health nuts will say even a drop will hurt you, but it's a huge overreaction. The media creates mass-hysteria for all topics... it's how they get the most people to read/watch, but it's far from realistic.

Sjucaveman
Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Central Mn

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby Sjucaveman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:15 am

I drink soda I guess I'll die someday, oh wait we all will.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam

User avatar
tvenuto
Member
Posts: 3790
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 am
Location: South Baltimore

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby tvenuto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:17 am

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 am
High fructose corn syrup is one of the worst things you can put in your body. Fructose is different than glucose and other sugars. It's digested by the liver, and is debatably worse than alcohol. Even eating tons of FRUIT can cause a fatty liver from all the fructose (but it would take a lot of high-fructose, low fiber fruits/fruit juices). And to think, artificial sweeteners are even worse...
Note that sucrose (table sugar) is glucose+fructose. HFCS is corn syrup that has a glucose/fructose ratio that imitates sucrose because it was designed as a sucrose substitute. I’m aware of the fructose/liver interaction and as you say excessive fructose is indeed bad. However, the reason HFCS is bad is not actually due to its fructose content, which is again, the same amount that would be in something sweetened with “sugar” (sucrose). The reason HFCS is so insidious is that it’s made from corn, which our government subsidizes, which means you pay so people can have cheaper soft drinks and damage their health, all while those companies can make billions and advertise during the Super Bowl.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25376
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby The Deacon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am
Everything is bad in excess. Even too much water can kill you, too much sun can kill you, etc. The key to soda (and everything else) is moderation. Of course health nuts will say even a drop will hurt you, but it's a huge overreaction. The media creates mass-hysteria for all topics... it's how they get the most people to read/watch, but it's far from realistic.

Exactly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19563
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am
Everything is bad in excess. Even too much water can kill you, too much sun can kill you, etc. The key to soda (and everything else) is moderation. Of course health nuts will say even a drop will hurt you, but it's a huge overreaction. The media creates mass-hysteria for all topics... it's how they get the most people to read/watch, but it's far from realistic.
Well I beg to differ in two issues. Because those diet soft drinks are total poison and no moderation aspect would help that cause at all. That crap called aspertame ( nutrasweet) is actually outlawed in some countries from what I'm told. And like "tvenuto" put it the high fructose corn syrup is so adulterated that I wouldn't give it to someone I even hated.

Now I will agree with you that if you drink one of the vintage soft drinks with the pure cane sugar which was how all of our soft drinks were made here in the USA in the old days of the 60s & 70s. They started using that adulterated poison type of sugar because of the huge profit margins>> the same applies with those artificial sweeteners. My nephew when he was taking Chemistry courses in college he had one of his professors tell him that no one should ingest aspertame in any amount. He told my nephew that the molecular structure of aspertame was very similar to wood alcohol :eek: and that stuff will blind you. And the outright addictive properties of that aspertame is worse than cigarettes or heroin>> and I literally had a medical doctor who is a endocrinologist tell me that. No I respectfully disagree moderation doesn't apply to poisons that exceed acceptable toxicity levels.

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2578
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: Thoroughly brassed off with 2020

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby ChrisinHove » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am

It’s like knives. Pay a little more, get better stuff, but maybe a little less of it. There are better quality “sodas” (fizzy drinks, to me) out there.

I don’t know that coffee is bad for me, though. I do know it’s better for those around me, however.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25376
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby The Deacon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 am

Well, as far as aapartame goes, the American Cancer Society seems to be saying that, unless you suffer from phenylketonuria or use absurdly large quantities of it, it's perfectly safe. So do the FDA and its European counterpart...

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the use of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in the United States. In 2007, the FDA stated:

Considering results from the large number of studies on aspartame's safety, including five previously conducted negative chronic carcinogenicity studies, a recently reported large epidemiology study with negative associations between the use of aspartame and the occurrence of tumors, and negative findings from a series of three transgenic mouse assays, FDA finds no reason to alter its previous conclusion that aspartame is safe as a general purpose sweetener in food.

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) assesses the safety of sweeteners such as aspartame in the European Union. According to a 2009 report from its Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Food:

Overall, the Panel concluded, on the basis of all the evidence currently available… that there is no indication of any genotoxic or carcinogenic potential of aspartame and that there is no reason to revise the previously established ADI for aspartame of 40 mg/kg [body weight].

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have to wonder if the "scientific studies" bad mouthing both corn syrup and aspartame were funded by the sugar producers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4244
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby The Meat man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am
Everything is bad in excess. Even too much water can kill you, too much sun can kill you, etc. The key to soda (and everything else) is moderation. Of course health nuts will say even a drop will hurt you, but it's a huge overreaction. The media creates mass-hysteria for all topics... it's how they get the most people to read/watch, but it's far from realistic.

Exactly. Well said.

Personally I don't drink soda, not for health reasons, but simply because I don't like the taste. I'm not much of a sweets person to begin with - ice cream is another thing I almost never eat.

There was an overreaction to Saccharine (artificial sweetener) once, because it apparently caused cancer in lab rats. What they didn't say was that a human being would have to drink 800 (yes, eight hundred) diet sodas every day to equal the rat dosage! Well at that rate of consumption anything would kill you.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby OldHoosier62 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 am
Everything is bad in excess. Even too much water can kill you, too much sun can kill you, etc. The key to soda (and everything else) is moderation. Of course health nuts will say even a drop will hurt you, but it's a huge overreaction. The media creates mass-hysteria for all topics... it's how they get the most people to read/watch, but it's far from realistic.
This guy gets it. Don't blame the product, blame the human lack of self control.

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby OldHoosier62 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 am
Well, as far as aapartame goes, the American Cancer Society seems to be saying that, unless you suffer from phenylketonuria or use absurdly large quantities of it, it's perfectly safe. So do the FDA and its European counterpart...

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the use of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in the United States. In 2007, the FDA stated:

Considering results from the large number of studies on aspartame's safety, including five previously conducted negative chronic carcinogenicity studies, a recently reported large epidemiology study with negative associations between the use of aspartame and the occurrence of tumors, and negative findings from a series of three transgenic mouse assays, FDA finds no reason to alter its previous conclusion that aspartame is safe as a general purpose sweetener in food.

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) assesses the safety of sweeteners such as aspartame in the European Union. According to a 2009 report from its Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Food:

Overall, the Panel concluded, on the basis of all the evidence currently available… that there is no indication of any genotoxic or carcinogenic potential of aspartame and that there is no reason to revise the previously established ADI for aspartame of 40 mg/kg [body weight].

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have to wonder if the "scientific studies" bad mouthing both corn syrup and aspartame were funded by the sugar producers.
LOL.... precisely Sir.

Sjucaveman
Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Central Mn

Re: Soft Drinks are "Poison" period> diet or regular

Postby Sjucaveman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

All of these discussions make me feel like I need a tinfoil hat to deduce which side is lying more. Is it the HFCS side, the sugar side, or the artificial sweetener side? You are now entering the twilight zone.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron