Ancient Plastics?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ancient Plastics?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are the bare basic types of equipment that would have been needed for a group of ancient blacksmiths to either make vegetable based plastics or to refine deposits of petroleum into a basic plastic material?

They had pottery, glass ware, metal, and other materials available. Could they have gotten together a primitive lab of some sort to make usable plastics from these basic ingredients, for knife and sword handles, ornaments, and other materials? How would that be done?

They did have laquered wood which is ofcourse a different material.
MichaelScott

Re: Ancient Plastics?

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am
What are the bare basic types of equipment that would have been needed for a group of ancient blacksmiths to either make vegetable based plastics or to refine deposits of petroleum into a basic plastic material?

They had pottery, glass ware, metal, and other materials available. Could they have gotten together a primitive lab of some sort to make usable plastics from these basic ingredients, for knife and sword handles, ornaments, and other materials?
No.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

No plastics, but resin was probably used so something micartaish might have been doable...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Celluloid is probably the simplest plastic. In theory all you need are camphor wood and nitric acid. While I doubt it ever happened, whether it was ever actually produced in ancient times will probably never be known, since celluloid tends to begin to disintegrate after mere 100 years or so.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
supracor

Post by supracor »

Some OOPArt maybe...
Crux

Post by Crux »

I had a batman helmet made out of "ancient plastic". It crumbled after being left in the sun for too long.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

Did I not mention I had a Batman helmet? Geez!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Very interesting Doc! :cool:
Crux wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 am
Did I not mention I had a Batman helmet? Geez!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Crux

Post by Crux »

OMG! I thought this photo had disappeared. Look at those abs and pecks. What a badass I was at 9.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha!! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have watched a lot of shows on the History Channel and I've read a lot of different books by Authors like Graham Hancock. And I do firmly believe that there were ancient technologies that even today we are not privy to. Take the ruins of Pumo Punku in the western part of Bolivia in South America for instance. Several well known historians claim that the stonework in that structure can't even be duplicated by today's technologies. And this is documented by several highly acclaimed archaeologists, historians and scholars of ancient antiquities. And that is only one of dozens of examples of ruins that have baffled scholars to this day.

I challenge all of you to read Graham Hancock's book entitled "Fingerprints Of The GODS". It is clear that there were a lot of ancient technologies even far before Biblical times that have been discovered in the past 100 years or so. And if they ever did find "ANCIENT PLASTICS" which I guess haven't been found as of yet>> it wouldn't really surprise me a great deal at all.

I said "as of yet" because it's true that the Smithsonian and other historical authorities have most definitely hidden a lot of evidence of ancient artifacts that doesn't fit their conventional beliefs over the years. They just don't like stuff that they have no explanation for unfortunately :(
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A couple of things. It is instructive to understand the scientific criticisms of Hancock’s book and its assertions. Hancock does not come off well. His evidence is faulty. You can read one here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/badarchaeo ... raphy/amp/

Secondly, JD, you claim the Smithsonian and “other historical authorities” have hidden evidence from the public. Who are these “other historical authorities” and what evidence do you have concerning them and the Smithsonian?

It’s fine to make claims of fact but you should be ready to substantiate them with valid evidence.

I’m not putting you down, merely asking in the spirit of discussion and inquiry.

Regards,
Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael, I can see those criticisms waged on the map issue, but my main interest is in the physical artifacts. There is no way, and any machinist who knows their work, can tell you, there is absolutely no way that the traditionally-accepted view of these ancient people can be accepted: That you had men sitting there with hand powered and hand held chisels and hammers and pounding stones, making intricate patterns in hard stone and other materials. That is not possible.

Look at the discoveries of machinist Christopher Dunn. Whether it was done with geopolymers that are molded like concrete but have the strength of chemical stone, or, if it was done with ancient powered stone-cutting saws, and there is evidence of machined cuts and other patterns, there is just no physical way possible that they hand chiseled and cut hard stone like that with those levels of precision.

And then there is the fitting of the stone together. Ropes and pulleys and greased grooves do not do that.

Now, there is an interesting theory put forth that the Giza plain where they build the Great Pyramid was cordoned off and filled with water and then they floated the stones into place. That is a pre industrial method that would work.

Some of those people may well have had hot air balloons made from natural materials but you cannot lift stones with that.

The machined stone is irrefutible. That is my core point.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

It’s fine to make claims of fact but you should be ready to substantiate them with valid evidence.

I’m not putting you down, merely asking in the spirit of discussion and inquiry.
Gee!!! You could have fooled me :rolleyes: :( >> Frankly I can't see it as anything but a "putdown" :mad: this forum has really been getting mean spirited at times here lately and I didn't put any information up that was intended to gore your ox or stomp on your toes so to speak. And look Michael I know in my heart that you're basically a decent guy and would probably make a great neighbor. But the evidence that there has been very high tech ancient technologies that literally defy all the conventional knowledge that I had been given through the mainline educational system is overwhelming. Just like SEF just said >> concerning PumoPunku for instance; how can you do almost laser like precision stone cutting down the last 10,000th of an inch going all the way back during a time that people were only known to have stone age tools at best? The work that was done a PumoPunku was nothing short of mind blowing. The one Crystal Skull that archaeologist Mitchell Hedges found was examined at high tech lab and I believe it might have been Hewlett Packard's lab if my memory serves me well >> they stated that the polishing work on that Crystal Skull was so unbelievably perfect that they could not replicate it even under the best laboratory set up. There have been so many ancient artifacts found that no one has a plausible explanation for.

Look at the Egyptian Giza Pyramids for crying out loud!! I don't see anyone replicating any them. Reason being is that it probably can't be done with what we have now. Someone back before Christ was alive had some type of technology we don't seem to have today not only with the pyramids but with a lot of other items of Egyptology.

and as far as someone doing a hatchet job on Graham Hancock>> like I said in another thread there was even a guy some time back who even did a nasty slanderous website on Mother Teresa :rolleyes: And I think we all know the truth on that one :rolleyes: I've been following Dr. Hancock's work for years and I've never seen anything that would make me believe that his credibility is bad. NO!! I plead NOT GUILTY!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The great medieval cathedrals were built with muscle, wood and simple metal hand tools. Why would you think other civilizations could not do likewise?

It is fine to speculate. Without actual evidence it remains only that. Every theory must be capable of falsification or it is only someone’s pet notion.

I’m sorry you take this personally. I’m criticizing your claims, not you.

Team Innovation