sheeple moment

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

sheeple moment

Post by vivi »

The other day I was doing some grocery shopping. Among other things I purchased were two boxes of protein bars.

I went through the self check-out. Busy Sunday afternoon, everyone doing their after church grocery shopping. Kids all over the place.

It's my turn so I start doing my thing, punching in 4011 for my bananas and whatnot.

I get to the protein bars and the first box scans fine. Second box wouldn't scan though. The plastic wrap was really thick and wrinkled right over the barcode.

So out comes my scary black SE Pacific Salt to cut through the plastic wrap so I can scan my product.

No one noticed or cared.

The end.
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Re: sheeple moment

Post by StuntZombie »

I think the most reaction I've received was when I used my knife to cut out a coupon from the store's sales flyer. A woman walking by commented "Dang! That's pretty sharp isn't it?". She seemed more impressed than afraid.

For the most part, folks around here don't seem to mind either.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They probably just figured you were really hungry. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thanks for sharing that with us Vivi because too many times I've personally experienced it to be just the extreme opposite :( But one thing we all currently have going for us is that most "sheeple" are so completely brainwashed and compartmentalized with their Facebook and other fantasies that they seem to make that the highest priority in their seemingly meaningless lives :( There are times a murder or rape could be taking place with 20 people within 10 to 15 feet of the incident but if they are buried in a social media website the perpetrator has nothing to worry about unfortunately :(

Now if you would have somehow disrupted their Facebook or any other social media non-sense that most people are truly addicted to then you could have had a full blown riot on your hands. But thankfully for your sake all the surrounding ostriches had their proverbial heads in the sand at the right time.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hahah, nice! You'd probably find yourself on the evening news if you tried something so dastardly in certain parts of the Democratic People's Republic of Massachusetts.. inciting a riot or some such nonsense!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’m tipping they all saw you Vivi and though don’t look, don’t make eye contact, this bloke looks crazy and will stab us for sure! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm
I’m tipping they all saw you Vivi and though don’t look, don’t make eye contact, this bloke looks crazy and will stab us for sure! :p
I probably get that even without a knife in my hand :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

even though it's generally the opposite here, I had a similar experience this week with the same knife. :o

I was on LIDL on the 14th (15th was holiday here, no stores opened) stocking up. I wanted to buy my favorite 1.5L iced tea that they sell, but there were no free bottles on the shelves :mad: , only a wrapped pack of them in the ground. Finger tearing the thick wrapping film was futile, so I opened the Pac Salt and sliced two of the four corners of the film, careful not to puncture the bottles :spyder:

I did this in front of the security camera, and someone approached me from my back. I fearfully and slowly turned and saw a 20-something year old woman who asked me, if I could take out a bottle for her.

I gave her one, took another for me, and folded the knife to clip it back. I don't think she ever saw the knife, or if she did, she said nothing of it, :confused:

nor did the security personnel that I'm sure was behind the CCTV (it's a big LIDL full of people with constant surveillance) :cool:
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

The only knife I am concerned about a reaction now is the new KW Millie I got. For some reason, I never saw the SE black Pac Salt as intimidating. maybe it is the rounded vs acute tip on the knives?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZMW wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm
The only knife I am concerned about a reaction now is the new KW Millie I got. For some reason, I never saw the SE black Pac Salt as intimidating. maybe it is the rounded vs acute tip on the knives?
All my Pacific Salts get reground to an Endura 3 looking tip before I carry them.

EDC'd a Millie for five years. Not just on weekends, but 24/7. Would use it at work all the time to open boxes etc.

I've carried my Szabo to work too. The only comments I got were from a coworker feeling down that he no longer had the biggest knife out of all of us. Unfortunately he quit before I got my hands on my Voyager XL. Would have liked seeing his reaction to that :D

The Voyager XL is the only folder I own that I think twice about using in public.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In public, I try to discretely roll out the blade without clicking and flashing. But it does have its place.

One day a coworker and I got into a discussion on gun control and the then new concealed carry law in Texas. He says, "Why do you need a gun?" I flicked open my SE Endura and held it up so he could get a good look at it.

"I could cut you open from your crotch to your sternum and watch you try to hold in your guts with both hands. I don't need a gun. You need a gun."

Then we went back to work.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm
In public, I try to discretely roll out the blade without clicking and flashing. But it does have its place.
I've never been big on flippers or flicking open my spydies. Manual open, cut what needs cut, then close it and clip it without making a big deal.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

One time I was in a pet store needing to buy some frozen mice. There were no loose boxes of mice left, just a shrink wrapped package of boxes. Out came my Dfly Salt, sliced it open, back in the pocket, and nobody the wiser.

Not that anyone would've cared here where I live. I've been in stores and even restaurants sometimes with a foot long Kabar on my belt, and never got a reaction.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Much depends on the person who is using the knife. If Vivi had seemed nervous and strained or unkempt and was making faces than he would have made people uncomfortable and then ramped that up by using the knife. His tells and body language didn't call attention to himself which is an important part of carrying guns and knives.

I strive to be invisible when out. About the best compliment one could give me is " I think there was somebody there but I can't remember who it was". :)

Joe
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I've opened packages for food and cigarellos with my Endura 4 HAP40 Mahogany on a trip in downtown Toronto and never even got a look. If you don't act nervous and you act like you're supposed to have it, chances are nobody gives a hoot.

Actually, I met a guy carrying a Para 3 at the Victorinox store. I'm not so quick to assume another's assumptions anymore.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I applaud the Grey Man concept, but then I’m a stoic.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZMW wrote:

While dining at the bar of my local BBQ restaurant, which has no steak knives, I resorted to using my KW Ti/CF Millie to cut brisket, I wondered what kind of reaction it might get, but nobody noticed at all.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

When in our local Chinese restaurant when it time to open the fortune cookies that are in that tough plastic, out comes my Spyderco Delica and it draws zero attention.

But but times i tried it with my Microtech Combat Troodon that knife snaps out with a loud click, and it does get a lot of looks.
So now it's my sweet Spyderco Delica that i always use.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 am
ZMW wrote:

While dining at the bar of my local BBQ restaurant, which has no steak knives, I resorted to using my KW Ti/CF Millie to cut brisket, I wondered what kind of reaction it might get, but nobody noticed at all.
I have done similar! At a very nice steak house in Denver (Elways) their knives were terribly dull, and a dull SE steak knife is the worst. I pulled out my pm2 and no one noticed. Possibly the best meal I have ever had. Ironically, the next day I went to Golden for my first visit.

Last night we had family over and we ran out of steak knives, luckily my S90v Millie was up to the task.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Why can't everyone look at knives like they look at hammers, spoons, forks, and scissors? Why has the knife been given such unfairly-negative focus? A being from another universe who looked at human beings and the way such negative emphasis is put on knives would really take time to pause and say "What?"