sheeple moment

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

Re: sheeple moment

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:11 pm
Why can't everyone look at knives like they look at hammers, spoons, forks, and scissors? Why has the knife been given such unfairly-negative focus? A being from another universe who looked at human beings and the way such negative emphasis is put on knives would really take time to pause and say "What?"

While there *are* knives, guns, axes and hammers intended for use in combat, I have yet to see a set of battle scissors or a two-handed war spoon ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:11 pm
Why can't everyone look at knives like they look at hammers, spoons, forks, and scissors? Why has the knife been given such unfairly-negative focus? A being from another universe who looked at human beings and the way such negative emphasis is put on knives would really take time to pause and say "What?"
How many people make a show of flicking open their big, manly folding scissors to impress their friends? How many people carry a switchblade hammer to bars for self defense? How many people murder others with spoons VS knives every year? How many times have you accidentally hurt yourself with a fork VS a knife?

I'm as big a knife nerd as anyone else here, but there are obvious reasons someone would find a knife more intimidating than a spoon.
:unicorn
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Slasher movies have not helped. Also popular with Hollywood commandos, assassins, special operators, wet work and so forth. And, the combat and tactical functionality of knives as weapons in the real world cannot be denied. The optics have not favored knife rights.

Fear of weapons, whether edged weapons or firearms, is a personality disorder known as hoplophobia. Just tell your acquaintances not to be hoplophobic.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

What is 4011?
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 am
What is 4011?
+1
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

411 with a double key strike on the number pad?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:59 am
tonijedi wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 am
What is 4011?
+1
Bananas
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Right. The numbers on those stickers on fruit and vegetables.

"If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally or “traditionally” with the use of pesticides. The last four letters of the PLU code are simply what kind of vegetable or fruit. An example is that all bananas are labeled with the code of 4011."

"If there are five numbers, and the first is “8″, then the product is genetically modified. The label on genetically modified banana (GE-genetically engineered of GMO) would contain the numbers 84011."

Wouldn't want to buy a Franken-banana.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well how bout that.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it starts with a 9 it is organic. 94011 are organic bananas.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Be respectful and stay legal

Don't brownie pop, wave, flick, etc. and most of the time nobody cares
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Which is better genetic monsanto or chemical monsanto
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

What is “brownie pop”?

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 am
Neither.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Neither.
Aren't the choices stellar! lol

Don't let them find out that eating their genetically modified food modified your DNA, they will sue for the rights to your blood!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

One of the most common genetic modifications is a resistance to herbicides so that they can use even more of it. On the other hand the other common modification is to cause a natural resistance to pests so they can use less pesticides. Which do you prefer? Herbicides or pesticides?

I vote for no genetically modified crops and eat as much organic as possible.

Probably the biggest issue with Monsanto has to do with politics and with IP rights. They want to control the food supply.

They want to sell these engineered crops as seeds so they also breed for sterile seeds or they produce hybrid seeds that don’t breed true so a farmer cannot save his own seeds and must buy seeds each year. They have also won some sketchy lawsuits. Imagine if you were growing non-modified crops organically and your neighbor was growing modified crops which Monsanto has a patent on. His crops then pollinate your crops. Now if you save your seeds not only are they no longer organic but now Monsanto can sue you for stealing their intillectual property. Sad thing is that this is a true story.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:05 am
Imagine if you were growing non-modified crops organically and your neighbor was growing modified crops which Monsanto has a patent on. His crops then pollinate your crops. Now if you save your seeds not only are they no longer organic but now Monsanto can sue you for stealing their intillectual property. Sad thing is that this is a true story.
If only all companies could operate with as shiny foot prints as Spyderco. This is the story I was referring to
bearfacedkiller

Monsanto denied ever doing that. A group of farmers growing chili peppers out west claim differently. Like many things the truth is hard to find. They don’t seem worried about “genetic pollution” though.

I do believe that Monsanto wants to control our food supply. To what lengths they are willing to go is up for debate. I don’t trust them but there is obviously a lot of fear mongering going on about them.

I am a naturalist in life and try to live as natural and as low impact of a life as I can so I grow as much of my own as I can, support local farms and try to only eat natural foods. I am also an avid recycler and composter.
-Darby
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

What is “brownie pop”?

koenigsegg wrote:
Neither.
Brownie pop is when you open a folder by giving it a wrist flick, without touching the blade. It's tough to do with small, light folders. I can do it with my Voyager XL and Manix XL, but it's not how I ever open those knives. Especially around others.
:unicorn
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Our gov seems to like letting companies run the country. Legalized bribery with the name campaign donation. I am the same, would rather go natural and support local farmers and the like but recently found out that I was recycling all the wrong stuff. It's stupid how many containers can't be recycled because of multilayer packaging and the like.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding "sheeple" you would be surprised at how people react to knives. Here is one incident I had: I was at an event with a small group of people and someone had a birthday, and one of those pre-packaged cakes was gifted to celebrate the birthday. Guess what? Noone had a knife on hand, to cut the cake, nor open the box. I had one on me, and it was not even a one-hand opener, it was a small fixed blade with an unobtrusive blade, a fixed blade scout hunting/fishing type knife. Well, the cake was cut and we had a good enjoyable time.

Later on I found out that someone present who saw me take out the knife was actually gossiping that I am a "dangerous person" for having a "hunting knife" on my person. Can you believe that? Isn't that ridiculous? I eventually confronted the person and was as polite as possible but said "Why would you slander me like that and say I am dangerous because I have a knife?" and the person kept to their attitude and told me "noone carries a knife nowadays, only evil people who want to kill people." I was surprised and have not spoken to them since.

What type of "brainwashing" and mindset does it take for someone to have that type of attitude against a person who simply has a utilitarian knife on them as a tool?

Many years of watching movies where knives are abused against people?