Antarctica?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Antarctica?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I stand corrected on one claim. After speaking to a really good friend of mine who keeps up on many things I'm interested in he went on to tell me that a lot of people got it wrong concerning the Pope and his rumored visit to Antarctica>> he didn't actually go to the Antarctic continent. He did however meet with the leader of the Orthodox Russian Church in Cuba me on his way to Antarctica. The other friend that told me that the Pope actually went down there was mistaken. But that is still kind of strange just on the face of it because I've heard that there is a lot of disparity between those two different Christian faiths. But he did maintain that according to his sources that Obama did go down there after he left the presidency. I'm not going out on a limb with that one but there were several VIPs and other big name people that did converge down there a few months back.

He also pointed out that John Kerry went down there on the actually day of the 2016 USA Presidential Election which I found kind of strange to say the least>> especially when he was one the big guys carrying water for the Clinton campaign :confused:

But it appears that I was indeed wrong about the Pope going down there but the very fact that he did meet with that Russian religious leader in Cuba on his way down had some strange significance to it. Oh one other thing I've noticed in my interest in Antarctica is how difficult it is to get any information from that place :confused: . Especially with anything to do with archaeology or what the Russians and USA scientists are doing down there. My Friend did go on to say that the research that the Russians are doing regarding Lake Vostok is correct. He went on to say that they had been doing research on Lake Vostok for quite some time now. As far as Organism 46B that many websites claim they found in the lake? Oh well he wouldn't commit to that one so I guess it's anyone's guess as to what they are doing. I seriously doubt if it has anything at all to do with climate change ( which is highly debatable) or anything else that the Mainstream News Media views as an issue.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think climate change and natural resources are good enough reasons for the public, and are real reasons, but it doesn't take much reading to conclude that there must be other reasons as well.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Do you all think an individual could survive in Antarctica for an extended period of time if they had the right tools and knew what they were doing?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm
Do you all think an individual could survive in Antarctica for an extended period of time if they had the right tools and knew what they were doing?
I assume you mean alone like a survival situation? In the summer, on the coast, in the right spot, maybe. Year round, extremely unlikely.

Even if you had a form of shelter there are no trees so it would be hard to stay warm. I suppose maybe technology could keep you warm if you had a solar setup. Then you have to figure out food and water. The ocean could probably keep you going in the summer but sea ice goes out pretty far in the winter. With no food, no water and no heat sources you don’t stand a chance.

I am under the impression the McMurdo gets well stocked with food and fuel oil or diesel before winter. Once the sea ice sets in they are sealed off. Most people don’t stay there all winter but a small percentage do but they prepare for it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I assume you mean alone like a survival situation? In the summer, on the coast, in the right spot, maybe. Year round, extremely unlikely.

Even if you had a form of shelter there are no trees so it would be hard to stay warm. I suppose maybe technology could keep you warm if you had a solar setup. Then you have to figure out food and water. The ocean could probably keep you going in the summer but sea ice goes out pretty far in the winter. With no food, no water and no heat sources you don’t stand a chance.

I am under the impression the McMurdo gets well stocked with food and fuel oil or diesel before winter. Once the sea ice sets in they are sealed off. Most people don’t stay there all winter but a small percentage do but they prepare for it.
yeah you might get through summer but you would really struggle in winter, there is no sun for months
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
It would be extremely difficult from what I've been told. Not only does it get about 80 degrees below zero (fahrenheit) they also get winds of 80 miles per hour which that combination alone would kill anybody in a relatively short period of time. I've heard even at the McMurdo Station they encounter many problems making it through an Antarctic Winter and that is a USA Government installation which is heavily supplied and heavily funded >> so it's doubtful that an individual would make it very long unless they had a lot of resources and money.

Not to mention that there isn't a lot of wild game you could hunt and fishing would only be available in their very short summer and probably only on the coast at that. Unless you would find a hot area around a volcanic site and yes there are some volcanos in Antarctica.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
No. Long term survival there requires loads of gear and supplies.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
You should be right if you have a good survival knife. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
GOOD LORD BLOKE :eek: !!!! Your telling this guy all he needs is a good knife to survive the Antarctic Winter??!!!!

You better find a huge mass of Emperor Penguins to huddle up with and you better hope those penguins have some really good fire making skills before that could happen :rolleyes:>> come to think of it though I don't there is anything to burn down there that I know of :confused: yeah I don't think there is a tree on that entire continent from what I've been told>> probably wouldn't be a good place for those political "GREENIES" to hold one of their organized protests come to think of it.

Boy BLOKE!! I'm sure glad you're not one of those radio talk show hosts that gives advice to everyone who calls in :rolleyes: :o Dude you would have hard time finding sponsors giving out that kind of advice :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm
Bloke wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
GOOD LORD BLOKE :eek: !!!! Your telling this guy all he needs is a good knife to survive the Antarctic Winter??!!!!

You better find a huge mass of Emperor Penguins to huddle up with and you better hope those penguins have some really good fire making skills before that could happen :rolleyes:>> come to think of it though I don't there is anything to burn down there that I know of :confused: yeah I don't think there is a tree on that entire continent from what I've been told>> probably wouldn't be a good place for those political "GREENIES" to hold one of their organized protests come to think of it.

Boy BLOKE!! I'm sure glad you're not one of those radio talk show hosts that gives advice to everyone who calls in :rolleyes: :o Dude you would have hard time finding sponsors giving out that kind of advice :D
Ah, hahaha! :)

You’re right Joe you’d likely need a nice warm beanie too! :p

Anyhow, we’ll answer the Antarctic riddle when you and I go down there. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm
Bloke wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Ah, hahaha! :)

You’re right Joe you’d likely need a nice warm beanie too! :p

Anyhow, we’ll answer the Antarctic riddle when you and I go down there. ;)
Hey Dude!! If you get me to go down to Antarctica it will be in their very brief summertime where I hear it doesn't get any warmer than about 45 degrees farhenheit. How Steve Irwin got in the water down there even with his high dollar wetsuit on is beyond me :confused: and with a leopard seal on top of that :eek:

But relax because I'll be sure to bring a really good knife with me :rolleyes: :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yeah I know this sounds silly but what if someone who was really good at knowledge about the penguins and the large Emperor penguins approached them and tried to "blend in" with them, like dresses in a penguin costume, and tries to keep oneself warm by huddling with them and catching fish and stuff? Would that still be certain death in the long term unless the person had some "super suit" that was self contained and could keep them warm and protected?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 am
approached them and tried to "blend in" ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 am
Yeah I know this sounds silly but what if someone who was really good at knowledge about the penguins and the large Emperor penguins approached them and tried to "blend in" with them, like dresses in a penguin costume, and tries to keep oneself warm by huddling with them and catching fish and stuff? Would that still be certain death in the long term unless the person had some "super suit" that was self contained and could keep them warm and protected?
I've actually heard that if you are calm and approach them slowly that you can go right up to any of those species of penguins. I remember an "Animal Planet" show where some scientists got to where they could even get within 5 feet of them with no problem. But when you think about it they probably don't see many humans at all.

I would really like to know why aged Apollo 11 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin went down there with all of those other famous people? He also had to be shipped out on an emergency basis because he apparently really got very sick down there. He's really getting up there in age and probably shouldn't have even went at all. But I'm sure he felt that something was important enough where he felt like he just had to go there in spite of it all.

Those Emperor Penguins are awesome I've seen a few of those Nature Documentaries about them on various cable channels and they are fascinating to watch. It's just outright incredible how any wildlife at all can survive down there. I don't think that most people even have a clue as to how horribly cold it gets down there during their winter in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate but I'm relatively sure I've heard that it has gotten all the way down to over 100 degrees below Zero fahrenheit :eek: >> I don't see how any living creature could survive that :confused:

I sure hope that someone will chime in that actually knows why all those people have recently gone down there.. Also I would like to know why all the sudden there is an intense interest in the place because for several years you never even heard any mention of the place at all. I'm not at all hinting at any wicked conspiracy at all>> but I do think that there has been some kind of awesome scientific discovery down there ( which would explain why Buzz Aldrin went down there)>> other than that I really don't have a clue as to what it might be :confused:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I never knew, but Antarctica has it’s own fire department!

http://www.antarcticfire.org/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:37 am
I never knew, but Antarctica has it’s own fire department!

http://www.antarcticfire.org/
GOOD LORD!!! :eek: Dude I really thought you were kidding :confused: Just goes to show you that the US Government can never run out of stuff to throw tax dollars at :rolleyes: Truly the people at the McMurdo Station could probably realistically get by with their own personal fire extinguishers :rolleyes: >> This is truly taking the term "ridiculous" to the highest level I've seen in years :rolleyes: I guess next we'll be seeing a Foundation Of The Fine Arts of Antarctica :rolleyes: Yep P.T. Barnum was absolutely right wasn't he :(
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

With the massive investment in equipment, infrastructure and research projects there relying on untrained firefighters with their personal squirt cans is not a good idea.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm
With the massive investment in equipment, infrastructure and research projects there relying on untrained firefighters with their personal squirt cans is not a good idea.
You know I've been thinking about my previous post about the Antarctic Fire Dept. and how at face value it looked to me to be a total waste of tax dollars. I may ought to take another look at that one. Because I have no idea of what materials the McMurdo Station is made of. Or what other concerns about fire hazards they might have. But I would think that they would have the presence of mind to make that McMurdo Station building or any of the other government installations down there to be made from fire proof materials to begin with. Because if fire did break out in the mid winter time when the average temperature in many places down there is 60 to 80 degrees below zero fahrenheit along with 50 to 80 MPH winds. With that said how would you get water to fight a fire with with everything frozen like a rock :confused: ?

Maybe it's a much bigger installation than I originally thought? But again my main thrust of this thread is to find out stuff about Antarctica that most of us here in the Northern Hemisphere especially don't seem to have even a clue about. Because there are some things significant going on down there that a lot of us would like to be aware of. What exactly it is I have no idea>> my wild guess would be that it's either something of scientific significance or they made some really unusual discovery down there of some type. Or maybe my first guess of something dealing with an archaeological discovery might be it. I've been curious about the place since I was kid mainly because it seems like nobody knows anything about the continent that's even bigger than the USA. That group of people didn't just go down there for concerns about global weather I'm certain of that.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You would be fascinated by The Last Place on Earth, an accurate and detailed account of the competition to reach the South Pole.

I don’t think it is possible to make any human installation fire proof. I spent time on destroyers, tenders and submarines in the Navy. An integral aspect of our training was fighting fires of various types. We tried to make our ships as fire proof as possible, but still, I was involved in two major fore incidents. I think, without researching it, that McMurdo is a large installation. And, being so isolated must have infrastructure and services to handle most any emergency.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation