Antarctica?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Antarctica?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've not shared with many of you Spyder Brethren that I've had a side hobby dealing with the study of archaeological artifacts and especially the covered up history of the "giants" who most definitely used to live on the planet>> but in the past two years there have been two talk show hosts who I follow closely who have been doing shows on "Antarctica" of all places. The Antarctic continent has for a long time had my curiosity piqued and I've wondered about that so-called frozen continent ( the 5th largest even).

Apparently Russian scientists from what I've been told have been doing some research at Lake Vostok ( a fresh water lake over mile under an ice sheet). Rumor has it that they discovered some type of very intelligent creature there ( organism 46B). Could be disinformation I suppose but there must be something of interest to them because they've been at Lake Vostok for quite some time now>> and they drilled through over a mile of ice to get to the lake.

A friend of mine who's dad was in the Navy back in the 60s at one time made deliveries at the McMurdo station ( USA base) at Antarctica and what really made me curious is he would not tell us anything other than he had been there before. He wouldn't tell me or his son even anything about his mission to Antarctica which was at that time 20 years after the fact which I found strange :confused: . So I immediately wondered what could be so secret down there? Also there have been two researchers in the past 5 years or so who have recently revealed that the Nazis of all groups had a base down there even before WW II even started. Again this made me extremely curious.

Also another friend of mine who was in the Air Force for years told me there are many "no-fly" zones on the continent of Antarctica :confused: He wouldn't tell me any more than that other than the USA has special interests in the place. What could be on the frozen continent that they won't tell us about? Why would the Nazis have any interest in the place? Because at that time it must have been very difficult to even go there at all with 1930s technology:confused: :confused: Anyone here know anything about Antarctica????
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Re: Antarctica?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm very sorry I put this on the wrong Forum :o Truly I don't know how that happened :o Yeah I hear that Twilight Zone music in the background. I hope that Kristi sees it and puts it in the right place. My apologies :o sorry
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sounds like the into to a horror flick :D
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

It's very hush hush indeed. You'll need to stop inquiring about it, or a bunch of little guys in black and white suits will have to pay you a visit.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydersense wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:23 am
It's very hush hush indeed. You'll need to stop inquiring about it, or a bunch of little guys in black and white suits will have to pay you a visit.
Truly that wouldn't surprise me a great deal in this present time :rolleyes: . But it is interesting that a subject I never heard one thing about is all of sudden getting a lot of attention in the past 5 years or so. Because before then I rarely ever even heard anyone mention Antarctica at all.

But for the Nazis to go there in the 1930s must have been extremely dangerous with what they had back then? And why? Also I've never heard of anyone exploring the place in any detail at all, ever.

I can't even imagine how much difficulty the Russians encountered drilling through a mile of ice to get to that lake ( Vostok).
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

penguin.jpg
penguin.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

All joking aside, it is quite interesting. I'd love to know what goes on down there. It's a perfect location to hide things from the world. Sadly, I don't think we'll get to find out anytime soon.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydersense wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am
penguin.jpg

All joking aside, it is quite interesting. I'd love to know what goes on down there. It's a perfect location to hide things from the world. Sadly, I don't think we'll get to find out anytime soon.
Interesting you put up a pic of what I presume is an Emperor Penguin :cool: I've been told and I even seen Steve Irwin (GOD Rest His Soul) go right up to them and they showed no fear. I guess most of the wildlife down there don't have any fear of humans at all.

It would really be interesting to know exactly what kind of creature those Russians found at Lake Vostok>> unless that is complete disinformation. I've wondered if unknown species of animals could be living down there because again I've never heard of a complete exploration of the Antarctic continent at all :confused:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have always assumed that the interest in Antarctica had to do with natural resources.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 am
I have always assumed that the interest in Antarctica had to do with natural resources.

This. There is most likely oil to be had there.

I'm also sure there are loads of life forms we don't know about in these remote areas. It's reasonable to assume some are more intelligent than anything we already know about.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I'm also sure there are loads of life forms we don't know about in these remote areas. It's reasonable to assume some are more intelligent than anything we already know about.
The rumor going around on the Youtube channels is that the creature the Russians encountered actually outsmarted them. OK that is just a rumor for sure and I would have to have some hard facts to back it up with. But why else is everything kept such a tight secret that has to do with Antarctica? I can't even imagine the costs of going through a mile of ice to even get to that lake. Yeah governments can usually get all the money they need for sure but you would have to think that there must be something worth going after.

And why are there "NO FLY" zones all over the continent. My friend who told me that was a pretty straight guy and I'm sure he's not lying to me. So why couldn't some filthy rich guy like Branson or Gates fly their own personal jet over Antarctica if they so choose to do it? Well evidently no one can according to all the NO FLY Zones they have
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

The rumor going around on the Youtube channels is that the creature they encountered actually outsmarted them. OK that is just a rumor for sure and I would have to have some hard facts to back it up with. But why else is everything kept such a tight secret that has to do with Antarctica? I can't even imagine the costs of going through a mile of ice to even get to that lake. Yeah governments can usually get all the money they need for sure but you would have to think that there must be something worth going after.

And why are there "NO FLY" zones all over the continent. My friend who told me that was a pretty straight guy and I'm sure he's not lying to me. So why couldn't some filthy rich guy like Branson or Gates fly their own personal jet over Antarctica if they so choose to do it? Well evidently no one can according to all the NO FLY Zones they have

Well if there's oil there you don't want anyone else to know about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think I saw a documentary on that organism before. Probably better it stays in Antarctica!

https://youtu.be/p35JDJLa9ec
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

:rolleyes:
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

There’s a big cooperative ice drilling program called “andrill” down there.
http://www.andrill.org/static/index.html

One of the scientifically valuable things about ice cores is that they preserve historic climate data, pollen, etc. in a largely unbroken record. I know a couple folks who’ve done stints with the program. You go through a psych eval and intensive physical exams to make sure you’re not going to have a physical issue while so far from help. For example, one guy got a ton of dental work done on their dime before going down. They also don’t want someone down there who would develop issues with the isolation or have interpersonal problems with the other researchers.

Florida State University had a “bunker” with cores stored at negative temps. It was called the “ARF” for Antarctic Research Facility. The cores have been recently moved to another facility at Oregon State. More info if you want to go down that rabbit hole:
https://www.fsu.edu/news/2009/07/13/antarctic.research/
http://arf.fsu.edu

My dad did a study on penguins as part of his graduate biology work. He had some good stories about that :p
FK

Post by FK »

JD Spydo,

My guess for NO FLY ZONES is that the continent is so large,,, if you had mechanical problems and had to emergency land,,,, resources could not locate or access your location. You have a short window of time to be recovered in the extreme climate conditions.

One interesting side note: I was in Navy Inteligence from 1966-1970,,, while stationed in the Far East on the staff of 2 star and 3 star Admirals we had security clearances well above Top Secret. Several times I had Navy Captains and Commanders appear at our offices and request entry because they were Top Secret cleared, they were checked out and politely turned away.

Near the end of my 2 year tour, posted on our bulletin board in the offices was a notice requesting volunteers for 1 year of Antarctic duty. Why did the Navy need people with such high level clearances in the Antarctic?
At that time is sounded interesting however, a friend in Navy Bureau of Personnel was working on getting me orders for transfer to the Aleutian Islands in Alaska which I was more interesting in obtaining. Did live for 16 months in the Aleutians, beautiful country.

Regards,
FK
Member since FEb 17, 2001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Are there any problems with navigation equipment so close to the South Pole? Is there any similar no fly zone at the north end? (Except for Santa of course)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sorry JD, looks like a straight up hoax.

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Organism_46-B

You might enjoy the movie Europa Report if you haven’t seen it. Very similar setup.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

The USAF cannot establish no-fly zones in international territory. They can however, enforce no-fly zones for USAG planes and they do that primarily due to the extreme remoteness and the fact that almost no aircraft fly that far south. There's just no practical reason for aircraft to be down there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm
JD Spydo,

My guess for NO FLY ZONES is that the continent is so large,,, if you had mechanical problems and had to emergency land,,,, resources could not locate or access your location. You have a short window of time to be recovered in the extreme climate conditions
Well FK you certainly put up some very interesting points for sure. And it does make perfect sense about what would you do if you had engine trouble or got nailed by unexpected natural turbulence, unexpected bad weather or any troubles that might even be unique to Antarctica. But on the other hand if some multi-billionaire like Branson, Gates or Ellison wanted to take their own private jet down there at their own risk and do some sight seeing I really think they should be able to do so. But stress to them beforehand that if they get in trouble they are on their own. Isn't that the situation Christpher Columbus was faced with?

Please don't misunderstand me because I'm in no way trying to be confrontational at all. I'm just wondering why it is that we seem to know more about the planet of Mars than we do the continent of Antarctica which by the way is even bigger than the continental USA.

And if all the NO-FLY Zones are implemented so no private aircraft could be stranded or just for safety purposes all together>> then why couldn't my friend who did 2 terms in the Air Force tell me that. He made it clear to me he was not at liberty to tell me anything about those No-Fly Zones in Antarctica. My guess is that there is a lot of top secret military and scientific stuff going on down there that they don't want any of us knowing about. I'm just really curious for the most part and find it very strange that so little is known about the continent by now :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:48 pm
Sorry JD, looks like a straight up hoax.

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Organism_46-B

You might enjoy the movie Europa Report if you haven’t seen it. Very similar setup.
Hey I went on record as saying that the whole thing about Lake Vostok might be disinformation. Because really I don't know what the heck is going on down there but something unusual sure is. When you think about it something as weird as that would probably appease the masses. I've heard that one archaeological team actually found a pyramid down there>> but I haven't yet seen any sure confirmation of it. But also the deal about the Nazis is even more strange>> because in Admiral Byrd's report on the Operation "HIGH JUMP" that he led the US Navy to in 1947 he stated that was why they were sent down there ( in 1947 no less :confused: ). That's another item of interest that you can't get any reliable information about. And Admiral Byrd went there with 4700 troops and that's on record.

But no Zhyla it doesn't surprise me if all that stuff about the Russians and what they found is bogus. But on the other hand why are they there?