Dealing With Wimpy Arm Chair Quarterbacks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Dealing With Wimpy Arm Chair Quarterbacks

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I generally view most progress as a continuing, eons long struggle against biological determinism.

Nature didn't give us thick fur, so we mastered fire.

We're not aquatic mammals, but boats helped us thrive on the water.

We don't have fangs or claws, so we have knives.

We don't have wings, but now we routinely cross the globe in airplanes.

From clothing to metallurgy to electricity and space travel, we've spent our existence "going beyond" the limits that our biology might dictate.

Seen from that perspective, I don't have a problem with any youngsters going beyond the roles set out for them by their own biology.

It would be pretty strange if our society was the only realm where we didn't push beyond our natural limits.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 am
Unless you're a hermaphrodite you were only born as a man or as a woman and that can never be changed unless there's a way to change your chromosomal structure after embryonic development. There are rules and there are fools. This isn't some grand scheme to keep people down. It's natural law. We do not defy natural law by using airplanes or knives or electricity. We use it for our benefit. We learn natural law and harness what we can to help benefit society. Trying to go against natural law is really just stupid. Saying natural laws can be ignored is just stupid. But in youth if you don't try to push the envelope, then i question how you were raised. But there's pushing the envelope and then there's just stupidity. You jump off a 100 story building without any way to slow your descent, you'll almost invariably die. There's no way to say that natural law can be ignored, doesn't matter if you're a headstrong 18 year old or a wise 80 year old. It is what it is. Hopefully parents teach how to harness natural law instead of ignoring natural law, but i fear that's not the case in today's society leading to a bunch of stupid people who think they can defy nature.

Statistically men are stronger, faster, and more focused than women. Women are more caring, multitask better, and can cobble society together on individual levels better. That's not society's conditioning, that's what it is. Doesn't mean a man can't wear a skirt or a woman can't wear a pair of jeans, nothing in nature says that's the case. But to say that women, generally, can do everything a man can do and that a man can, generally, do everything a woman can do is asinine. There are exceptions to every rule, though. But there's a reason that for thousands of years humanity has taken a general course of action. It's because it's what natural law says to do. But buck the system, find failure, and then acquiesce to nature like others do. Smart people learn quicker.

I wonder if we're headed toward synthetic wombs with sex robot farms where we can pick and choose genetic traits of offspring or vice versa, women come up with synthetic sperm and do the same. They've already accomplished taking the dna of a woman and inseminating an egg from a different woman, well female mice anyway. Even still. That's not defiance of natural law, that's understanding natural law and figuring out what we can do with it. Maybe in 100 years feminism will have killed off women or maybe feminists will have killed off men.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Unless you're a hermaphrodite you were only born as a man or as a woman and that can never be changed unless there's a way to change your chromosomal structure after embryonic development. There are rules and there are fools. This isn't some grand scheme to keep people down. It's natural law. We do not defy natural law by using airplanes or knives or electricity. We use it for our benefit. We learn natural law and harness what we can to help benefit society. Trying to go against natural law is really just stupid. Saying natural laws can be ignored is just stupid. But in youth if you don't try to push the envelope, then i question how you were raised. But there's pushing the envelope and then there's just stupidity. You jump off a 100 story building without any way to slow your descent, you'll almost invariably die. There's no way to say that natural law can be ignored, doesn't matter if you're a headstrong 18 year old or a wise 80 year old. It is what it is. Hopefully parents teach how to harness natural law instead of ignoring natural law, but i fear that's not the case in today's society leading to a bunch of stupid people who think they can defy nature.

Statistically men are stronger, faster, and more focused than women. Women are more caring, multitask better, and can cobble society together on individual levels better. That's not society's conditioning, that's what it is. Doesn't mean a man can't wear a skirt or a woman can't wear a pair of jeans, nothing in nature says that's the case. But to say that women, generally, can do everything a man can do and that a man can, generally, do everything a woman can do is asinine. There are exceptions to every rule, though. But there's a reason that for thousands of years humanity has taken a general course of action. It's because it's what natural law says to do. But buck the system, find failure, and then acquiesce to nature like others do. Smart people learn quicker.

I wonder if we're headed toward synthetic wombs with sex robot farms where we can pick and choose genetic traits of offspring or vice versa, women come up with synthetic sperm and do the same. They've already accomplished taking the dna of a woman and inseminating an egg from a different woman, well female mice anyway. Even still. That's not defiance of natural law, that's understanding natural law and figuring out what we can do with it. Maybe in 100 years feminism will have killed off women or maybe feminists will have killed off men.
The future will certainly be exciting! :D

As you mentioned, biological limits exist, but I don't expect any of these changes to impact the way most people live their lives. Space travel didn't make astronauts out of all of us, just those who wanted to. Likewise with the society of tomorrow. Just because you now have the option to identify beyond traditional roles doesn't mean you have to.

I am generally a fan of giving people more options in how they live their lives. That freedom is one of my favorite things about America. :cool:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 pm
Bodog wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

As you mentioned, biological limits exist, but I don't expect any of these changes to impact the way most people live their lives. Space travel didn't make astronauts out of all of us, just those who wanted to. Likewise with the society of tomorrow. Just because you now have the option to identify beyond traditional roles doesn't mean you have to.

I am generally a fan of giving people more options in how they live their lives. That freedom is one of my favorite things about America. :cool:
I do wish civilization could evolve without a concerted effort to screw us all up. You have to realize that where we're at in America isn't natural evolution but a concerted propaganda campaign meant to destabilize and demoralize us in the western world. It has nothing to do with freedom and everything to do with breaking down morality and society built on families because without our close families and cultures we're all alone and easier to control.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Bodog wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

I do wish civilization could evolve without a concerted effort to screw us all up. You have to realize that where we're at in America isn't natural evolution but a concerted propaganda campaign meant to destabilize and demoralize us in the western world. It has nothing to do with freedom and everything to do with breaking down morality and society built on families because without our close families and cultures we're all alone and easier to control.
I definitely agree that society needs to do more to support families. There's a lot of policies in the public and private sector that discourage people from starting families. It's a shame that men and women who want to be there for their children are looked down on as less productive.... I know several fathers whose careers were significantly impacted by their decision to really spend time with and help raise their kids.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 pm
Bodog wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Bodog wrote:

I know several fathers whose careers were significantly impacted by their decision to really spend time with and help raise their kids.
If more fathers neglected their jobs more to spend more time with their families there would be less of a pay gap.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm

If more fathers neglected their jobs more to spend more time with their families there would be less of a pay gap.
I 100% agree! How many women have been told that they need to raise the kids AND pursue their career in order to "have it all"?

How many generations of men have missed out on a once in a lifetime chance to be truly present in their children's lives?

Time for men to step up to the fatherhood plate and realize that the office will be always be there, but your kid is only 5 once...
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:20 pm
Bodog wrote:

I 100% agree! How many women have been told that they need to raise the kids AND pursue their career in order to "have it all"?

How many generations of men have missed out on a once in a lifetime chance to be truly present in their children's lives?

Time for men to step up to the fatherhood plate and realize that the office will be always be there, but your kid is only 5 once...
Someone has to bite the bullet and slave away so their kids can be the best they can be. Who's gonna put food on the table if men don't hunt, fish, raise livestock, or farm? Women bite the bullet by making less money over the course of her career by ensuring the kids get the best they can have at home and the dad bites the bullet and sacrifices his body, his energy, and his life to ensure the kids have the best he can provide outside the home. Selfish people think otherwise but that's the natural way that works. Doing otherwise leads to what you see now, kids starving for a mother and kids starving for a father and both man and woman thinking each are failing in their natural roles and divorcing at ever higher rates if they choose to marry to begin with. Sucks, but that's life. If a family is going to work a man needs to accept his role, a woman needs to accept hers, and both need to follow what nature has taught our ancestors for millennia.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I quit my job two years ago to be a stay at home dad. It has been the most rewarding two years of my life. You only get to raise them once so I am soaking it up like a sponge. You also only get one chance to do it right. It has been a lot of sacrifice living on one income but we have no regrets. I have plenty of time left in my life to work. For now I am Mr. Mom. We do good with the role reversal, maybe partly because I have a son.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” -Frederick Douglass
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm
I quit my job two years ago to be a stay at home dad. It has been the most rewarding two years of my life. You only get to raise them once so I am soaking it up like a sponge. You also only get one chance to do it right. It has been a lot of sacrifice living on one income but we have no regrets. I have plenty of time left in my life to work. For now I am Mr. Mom. We do good with the role reversal, maybe partly because I have a son.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” -Frederick Douglass
Good man Darby. I dont believe the role reversal this is because you have a son i believe its because you put the effort in and that is part of the reward.
I raised my son by myself from the time he was 8 mths old. This gender defined roles in the house stuff is bs, you just got to get on with doing what needs to be done, the problem is a lot of people dont.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Best of luck and wishing you continued success and joy!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:20 pm
Bodog wrote:

Someone has to bite the bullet and slave away so their kids can be the best they can be. Who's gonna put food on the table if men don't hunt, fish, raise livestock, or farm? Women bite the bullet by making less money over the course of her career by ensuring the kids get the best they can have at home and the dad bites the bullet and sacrifices his body, his energy, and his life to ensure the kids have the best he can provide outside the home. Selfish people think otherwise but that's the natural way that works. Doing otherwise leads to what you see now, kids starving for a mother and kids starving for a father and both man and woman thinking each are failing in their natural roles and divorcing at ever higher rates if they choose to marry to begin with. Sucks, but that's life. If a family is going to work a man needs to accept his role, a woman needs to accept hers, and both need to follow what nature has taught our ancestors for millennia.
There's been plenty of various family structures throughout human history. The traditional nuclear family is one of many successful templates! ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks ginger! I wasn’t referring to the gender roles in regards to my household responsibilities. I don’t mind housework and I actually love to cook. I was referring to it being easy for me stay engaged with him all the time. He is obsessed with excavators and monster trucks and all sorts of little boy stuff. It just helps that I like playing with all his toys too. :)

Thanks Curly! I appreciate that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I also was able to raise my daughter in infancy. I was working at my own business when she was 0-2, and that business happened to be early in the morning and later in the evening. Thus, my wife and I could do (somewhat hectic) handoffs and she didn't have to go into daycare. It was a really great opportunity, and one I think most modern families miss out on. Good on you for choosing a lady that gives you these sorts of options, I'm sure your children will be better for it.

As it happens, we've switched back roles. I'm now the main earner and she's at a very flexible job that will let her take as much time off as needed. Either way, we're both on the same page as to wanting to do what it takes to raise our kids ourselves as much as is prudent.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Being a parent isn't easy. The fact that anyone can do it in today's society is a blessing to that child.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bodog wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Bodog wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

I'm seriously interested to hear who you believe is running the coordinated propaganda and what that propaganda is actually attempting to force on us... you paint this situation with a pretty wide brush here. Who is gaining what and how?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Not a discussion that's easily had on this forum.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Soros
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 am
Soros
He's part of it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And then you have the Koch brothers on the other side of the spectrum that does far more damage to our country that George Soros ever thought he could.
I reckon I'll always be an Independent.