Custom knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Liquid Cobra

Custom knives

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just curious if any of you fine people own and carry any custom knives. If so, which ones. If not, why not? Would you like to?

I just thought it would be cool to start a discussion. Share your thoughts, pics etc..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Custom knives

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What is the technical difference between a "hand made" and a "custom knife"?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have 3 custom fixed blades that I never carry because of knife "culture" around here. It's legal to carry a fixed blade, but as far as cultural norms go, people generally don't and LE will give you the side eye.

Wouldn't mind getting a custom folder one of these days. They're just expensive.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have 2 custom fixed blades (Phil Wilson & Mark Terrell) as well as a custom Esnyx traditional folder that I designed and Evan built to my specifications. All of which I treasure and use on a regular basis.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't own any custom knives, but if I did at least one of them would be a Randall.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own two Phil Wilson customs, and I use them both--one I use multiple times every day.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I guess my only true custom is my Pohan Leu Hamachi, it's a brute, and quit large, it gets carried some. Also have a couple Shirogorov's but they're not full customs(I wish), they get carried a lot, probably the nicest production's I have. Also have a mule team that Xplorer put some amazing scales on for me, that one gets carried occasionally also.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have a calavera cutlery fixed blade that I bought on sale at howes way back when. I take it camping. As far as folders I’ve kicked around the idea but then with the quality that Spyderco puts out I think to myself “why?”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

I don’t think there is. However, if I were to make a knife by hand which I’ve never attempted, I don’t think I would call it a custom knife even though it was custom made by me. I guess what I’m trying to say is that saying custom implies a certain level of quality.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I own, carry, and use a number of custom knives. Some of my favorite makers included in my collection are Tom Krein (fixed), Ed Caffrey (fixed & folding), Ray Kirk (fixed & folding), Richard Rogers (folding), and Tom Mayo (folding).
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
That is a topic that's been debated endlessly (without resolution) on the various Internet knife forums, along with, "what constitutes hand made?"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
That is a topic that's been debated endlessly (without resolution) on the various Internet knife forums, along with, "what constitutes hand made?"
Adding “mid-tech” to the mix makes things even more confusing. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

At present, I have only one custom knife: a small D2 skinner. It is very high hollow ground very thin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Just my opinion-
Production- All or majority made by machine
Midtech- At least part made by machine (closer to 50/50)
Handmade- All made by hand individually by maker
Custom- Made by hand to a customer exact specs

for example I have 3 Big Chris Fixed blades (Maker on bladeforums). 1 I consider handmade as he had already built it and offered it up in the for sale section, I like it and bought it, the other two I commissioned, picked the steel, grind, handle and sheath materials and sent a CAD drawing of to him of exactly what I wanted. He built them to my specs. All three are fantastic (2 CPM-10V @64 and 1 CPM-3V at 60)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

michaelm466 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am
Just my opinion-

for example I have 3 Big Chris Fixed blades (Maker on bladeforums). 1 I consider handmade as he had already built it and offered it up in the for sale section, I like it and bought it, the other two I commissioned, picked the steel, grind, handle and sheath materials and sent a CAD drawing of to him of exactly what I wanted. He built them to my specs. All three are fantastic (2 CPM-10V @64 and 1 CPM-3V at 60)

What about a custom maker that CNC’s his knives? Custom or production?

@liquid_cobra
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Since its a combination of man and machine, Id classify it as Midtech, even if its just the scales that are cnc machined and everything else is by hand. If a customer is able to say, steel, handle material and color, ect, kind of like the Benchmade Griptilian customizer on their website its a Customized production, customized midtech, customize handmade, ect, but not a full custom, because its still not your complete design.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve got a Smock SK23. First lefty he made.
D7C17199-F20E-476A-9C82-A3F62E955AFD.jpeg
I carry and use it all the time, pretty hard too from time to time. 3v steel so it’s up for it.
Can’t wait for the Spyderco version, hopefully I can get one here in Canada...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I own, and occasionally carry, this A. T. Barr custom left handed One Eyed Jack.
Also own Ed Schenpp's "all damascus" custom liner lock prototype for the small Persian and a small Arno Bernard fixed blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm
I own, and occasionally carry, this A. T. Barr custom left handed One Eyed Jack.
One of my collecting regrets is I never pulled the trigger on an A.T. Barr One Eyed Jack while he was making knives. I did carry this A.T. Barr knife to work for a number of years:
atbarrblacklip.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am
michaelm466 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am
Just my opinion-

What about a custom maker that CNC’s his knives? Custom or production?
I would consider it custom still as long as he is producing product from raw materials. I consider Grimsmo one of the makers in that category.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*