Custom knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Water Bug

Re: Custom knives

Post by Water Bug »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:51 pm
Just curious if any of you fine people own and carry any custom knives. If so, which ones. If not, why not? Would you like to?

I just thought it would be cool to start a discussion. Share your thoughts, pics etc..
I own a handmade fixed-blade knife made for, and given to, me by my father, and, I have another fixed-blade knife made by him for his everyday use that I aquired. I have not had a knife specifically made for me to my specifications by a custom maker, although Chris Reeve was kind enough to make a slight modification to one of his One Piece Range knives that I ordered from him years ago. Of the handmade knives I have made by my father, one of them is practical for EDC and he used to have it strapped to his belt at all times... and, I certainly wouldn't mind EDCing it if the need arised.

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm
What is the technical difference between a "hand made" and a "custom knife"?
My opinion is a custom-made knife is a handmade knife that is made to the specific request and specifications of the customer.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread needs more show to match the tell

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Well, my pictures aren't as good as yours, but:
0609001648.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm
Well, my pictures aren't as good as yours, but:

Chamblin_whittler.jpg
Always wanted one of those Krein models. Let's see your Mayo
*Landon*
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Always wanted one of those Krein models. Let's see your Mayo
This one?
Mayo CF linerlock
Mayo CF linerlock
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Or these two?
Timascus TNT & small covert
Timascus TNT & small covert
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

And this is the picture that should go with the "Chamblin whittler" label:
Chamblin_whittler.jpg
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Just curious if any of you fine people own and carry any custom knives. If so, which ones. If not, why not? Would you like to ?
Nope.

Don't care that much for most of the custom designs I see. I recall there's some guy (guys ?) that likes to dictate what custom makers should make if they want to sell knives. I always thought he was bad for the business. Nuf said on that. I'd hope a lot of makers don't listen to him.

I do appreciate extreme levels of craftsmanship, but what do you do with something like that ?

I'm pretty happy with a small subset of what Spyderco and Busse manufacture. I probably could have gotten along with just an Endura for the rest of my life, but a little variety is nice.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 pm
Or these two?

smallmayo.jpg
Those.... #drool
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dsvirsky wrote:One of my collecting regrets is I never pulled the trigger on an A.T. Barr One Eyed Jack while he was making knives. I did carry this A.T. Barr knife to work for a number of years:
atbarrblacklip.jpg

I hear you. I wish I'd put in my order for a Bob Lum custom left handed Chinese Folder a few years earlier than I did, as I was still on his waiting list when he passed away.

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm
What is the technical difference between a "hand made" and a "custom knife"?

Both terms mean pretty much whatever the person using them wants them to mean since neither expressly indicates the quality of materials or workmanship. One could argue, for example, that a prison shank is as much of a "hand made" knife as Buster Warenski's King Tut Dagger.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a few. Here is one by our very own Xplorer. A great small EDC/hiking knife in 52100 with a very thin edge and very acute tip. Great stuff!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Very nice, Darby. I like that one a lot. Also in 52100 and a nice, light companion for fishing or hiking:
Ray Kirk Sendero Medicine Blade
Ray Kirk Sendero Medicine Blade
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always had an incredible amount of respect for custom knifemakers. I've gone to so many shows over the years that I've literally lost count of how many I've gone to. Actually it was through attending some custom knife shows here in Kansas City that I ultimately got led to Spyderco's great blades.

My dad & mom always had an old saying/cliche they used on me a lot which probably accurately describes my desire for things I can't really afford>> they always said I personally had a "Champagne taste on a lowly Beer income" :o :rolleyes: >> and after many years have gone by I must admit they were very right in what they said for the most part :rolleyes: .

But it never kept me from acquiring a respect and admiration for custom made knives. Two years in a row I had the awesome privilege of getting to meet and having a nice chat with the legendary "Bill Moran" at the Atlanta BLADE Show before he died ( GOD Rest His Soul). He was a prince of a guy and was very nice and always answered all my ( probably annoying :rolleyes: ) questions.

I quickly realized that Mr. Bill Moran's stuff as well as several other genius knifemaking artists I got to meet at these shows was way above my financial means. But I have got to meet on 3 occasions a knifemaker that is relatively close to where I live and I'm going to make it a point to get a couple of his great blades. I'm speaking of Bob Dozier from Hot Springs Arkansas USA Earth. He has been given the title of "Dr. D-2" by many of his peers because of his super talent for doing a superior heat treatment of D-2 steel. I also love his work because most of it is geared for hunting, fishing, and outdoor uses in general>> which is right up my alley.

But for me to get stuff made by Bill Moran, B.R. Hughes, Bob Loveless or Jerry Fisk is to me like shopping for Van Gogh and Picasso paintings :o Oh I admire the work all right but as of now it's just too far above my current resources to endulge.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I regularly carry a Jason Guthrie Scout and a Trevor Burger LEXK. Trevor is putting a pocket clip on my Atlas as I type so hopefully that will get more carry time.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A friend of mine is a knife maker but he’s generally pretty busy running a knife supply’s business and I’ve never really had the inclination for one.

My Sprig and Southfork are about as close to customs I have at present and as far as folders go if I could have one made that topped The Military at similar price I may be interested but I can’t see that happening in a hurry. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A Rob Brown Drop Point Hunter with Buffalo Horn scales and buffalo hide sheath, but it is the small 3 finger version, and so it rides on my shorts pocket.

The knife was offered to me by a customer of his who had bought the knife in the late 80s, and brought it across to NZ.

Sadly, the D2 deep hollow ground and mirror polished blade was rusted in places, and so I removed the rust, and I decided to use the knife as an EDC, and not as a skinner/hunter.

Rob passed way a few years ago, and so I use it in memory of his fine body of work.
I will show a pic later?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have a few.. R.W.Wilson, the late Ruffin Johnson and Hugh Bartrug..
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Just curious if any of you fine people own and carry any custom knives. If so, which ones. If not, why not? Would you like to?

I just thought it would be cool to start a discussion. Share your thoughts, pics etc..
I carry and use a knife in the woods, so yes, quite often.

Often one of these hand forged customs.

Lately it has been this most recent arrival.

Laminated 1.4034 with a core of Böhler-Uddeholm 20
Ebony handle.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great info everyone. Seems we have a wonderful variety of custom knife collectors here. I currently own three custom Peter Rassenti’s. I’m hoping to add more to my collection someday.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
petersh

Post by petersh »

I have some custom knives, but they are not truly "custom".
They are ground about 3 years ago by an old man who had excellent skill. They are still very sharp.
It ain’t over till it’s over, Peter