How would you destroy/stop a resurrected dinosaur?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

How would you destroy/stop a resurrected dinosaur?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

https://www.inverse.com/article/11636-d ... k-predicts

Some people think that eventually a "Jurassic Park" like situation will become available: Where animals from the 'pre historic eras' will be resurrected through advanced DNA technology, and we will be able to see live walking breathing dinosaurs, saber toothed cats, cave bears, pterodactyls, and other creatures, the only limit being that we will need to find functional DNA that can be spliced and grown into fully mature creatures.

http://factor-tech.com/feature/when-it- ... ind-a-way/

Now, let's say at some point in the future this happens. And let's say when it does happen, humans still only have advanced projectile weapons and have not yet developed hand held directed energy weapons like on Star Wars and Star Trek. People basically have advanced powder or nano metallurgy steel knives (perhaps diamond fiber or carbon nanotube but nothing super like the "Chain Swords" of War Hammer) and advanced versions of our current semi and fully automatic pistols and rifles and other weapons.

In that scenario, what would it take to kill/stop a raptor or t rex or similiar large dinosaur who was looking at you as an easy food target?

Based on what we know of reptiles and other creatures, and their scales and armor and their body-weapons, what types of knives and guns and weapons would it take to stop such a creature?
TomAiello

Re: How would you destroy/stop a resurrected dinosaur?

Post by TomAiello »

I say we lift off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Anzio 20mm rifle... 48,000 foot-pounds of energy -- for a start....
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
SpyderEdgeForever

flasharry wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Anzio 20mm rifle... 48,000 foot-pounds of energy -- for a start....

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

WOW that is some piece of hardware! Cool!
SpyderEdgeForever

Here is an interesting thing I found about this:

https://www.quora.com/Could-any-dinosau ... rn-firearm
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

GAU-8 meets VW Type 1.jpg
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 pm
I say we lift off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Game over, man!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was going to say that. :)

BTW, a T Rex would be easier to kill than a modern armored vehicle and we have lots of ways to make them uncomfortable places to be inside of. I don't see much problem with them at our current level of technology. Now Viruses and Prions and such things can be pretty resilient. Malaria, lungworms, liver flukes and those human heartworm things scare me much more than any reptile that has walked this earth. People don't think about biological warfare much now but late cold war stuff that we were trained about was terrifying. There are still places off limits because of testing done and still dangerous decades later. Dinos would be just targets and not particularly difficult to deal with. Of those the small fast ones would last the longest. Think of how successful rats are. Ever try dealing with them outside of using poisons? That's the main reason cats and small terrier breed dogs were so successful. They do that job better than we can.

Joe
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Easy, Give them a video game system and internet access. They’ll never even get off the couch after that. Problem solved. ;)

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:16 am
BTW, a T Rex would be easier to kill than a modern armored vehicle and we have lots of ways to make them uncomfortable places to be inside of. I don't see much problem with them at our current level of technology. Now Viruses and Prions and such things can be pretty resilient. Malaria, lungworms, liver flukes and those human heartworm things scare me much more than any reptile that has walked this earth. People don't think about biological warfare much now but late cold war stuff that we were trained about was terrifying. There are still places off limits because of testing done and still dangerous decades later. Dinos would be just targets and not particularly difficult to deal with. Of those the small fast ones would last the longest. Think of how successful rats are. Ever try dealing with them outside of using poisons? That's the main reason cats and small terrier breed dogs were so successful. They do that job better than we can.

Joe
+1
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

One main thing making reptile population control easier is that their egg clutch is generally a sedentary easy target once the adults are away. Unlike where pregnant mammals take their offspring with them internally to birth them wherever they may end up.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:42 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:16 am

Joe
+1
+2 they wouldn't be abundant and big enough to cause more harm than a group of terrorist people, a virus, an airstrike or a tank.

In fact, you could send a tank to a city infested with huge T-Rexes, Triceratops and such and they would stand no chance against an Abrams loaded with armor piercing SABOTs. :cool:

They would even come towards the tank to see what's that weird thing moving around. The .50 cal at the top would make short work of smaller, faster dinos, and its bullets would even be lethal for the biggest of reptiles
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Simple. You breed and handb raise a herd if raptors. Then you saddle train them and mount .50's on their backs and ride them around like battle raptors killing all the bad dinosaurs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:24 am
Simple. You breed and handb raise a herd if raptors. Then you saddle train them and mount .50's on their backs and ride them around like battle raptors killing all the bad dinosaurs.

True, unless the bad dinosaurs are cross-bred with raptors and the raptors turn on their trainers at a crucial moment during the battle. :p :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:56 am
Evil D wrote:

True, unless the bad dinosaurs are cross-bred with raptors and the raptors turn on their trainers at a crucial moment during the battle. :p :D

Geez do I have to think of everything? You just fit them with slave collars that remote detonate if they turn bad. C'mon man this is dinopocalypse 101.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:12 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:56 am
Evil D wrote:

Geez do I have to think of everything? You just fit them with slave collars that remote detonate if they turn bad. C'mon man this is dinopocalypse 101.

Hahahahaha! :D But didn't they already try that in Suicide Squad?? I mean, the Joker was able to hack the technology to save Harley Quinn. What if the bad dinos do the same? :p :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Since they have been finding unfossilized dino tissue, it is only a matter of time before they find a way to sequence DNA from some sample. After that, if it is a TRex or other theropod, they can use a turkey or something and bring one back to life. However, it may be simpler than that. They have found that they can turn on sections of bird DNA that is actually dino DNA and bring back dino characteristics. They will one day not stop at one or two features but will bring out a full blown dinosaur. After that, once they are bred and there are enough of them, people will hunt them to near extinction, then they will be protected, then delisted and hunted again, and so forth. We have plenty of arms capable of taking down the largest of them, despite Hollywood.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ice cream and bacon cheeseburgers ought to slow the dinosaurs down. It sure worked on me :P
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 pm
Game over, man!
I'm Hudson- He's Hicks :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/