Cold Steel Voyager review

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Cold Steel Voyager review

Post by vivi »

I've been EDCing a Cold Steel Voyager lately. Thought I'd write up a review.

Why a Voyager?

I'm sure you're wondering why someone with a robust Spyderco collection is carrying a Cold Steel folder.

Well the Voyager has a few things going for it.

It's every bit of a tank as my Manix XL or Police 3, while weighing a full ounce less. It has the edge length & blade geometry of a Military, letting it cut circles around my saber ground Pacific Salts. All this at 1/3rd the price of most my folders, and it's not even from China.

I still carry my Pacific Salt when I want something as slim and light as possible (while still being a full sized knife), but the Voyager has become my go to. It's replaced the Manix XL from my rotation.

Lets take a look at the knife.

The Large Voyager has a 4 inch CTSBD1 blade, plastic handles, thick aluminum liners and the triad lock. Mine is the clip point version.

The ergonomics are very good for my larger than average hands. The grip locks the knife into my hands very securely. The scales are thick, thicker than the majority of folding knives. While the bulky handle is more noticeable in the pocket than an Endura, it's also more comfortable in the hand.

Choked up on the choil:

If you look at the angle the blade sits at relative to the handle, you can see it has a similar negative angle as the Military, just a bit more mild. This makes cutting with the knife less fatiguing for me compared to straighter shapes.

One of the reasons the knife is so comfortable to me is the lack of a thumb ramp. I do not like most thumb ramps, they never give my thumb enough room. If you look at how I hold my Voyager you'll see my thumb goes right where the point of most thumb ramps would be. Like on my Manix XL, for example:

Now the finger grooves on the Manix are more ergonomic than the Voyager to me, but the thumb ramp placement forces me to hold the Manix in a way that feels less natural to me. For that I give the ergonomic edge to the Voyager. The nicely rounded edges on the FRN scales help too.

Another thing I like about this knife is the lock. The Tri-ad lock is basically a beefy lockback (My favorite Spyderco lock) with a stop pin.

The lock is very secure, with zero play in every direction at all times. It has a very nice self close, which is something I look for in folders. It's very smooth to open and close, and easy to use one handed. I have not tried a Spyderco power lock to compare to the Voyager, but as of now the tri-ad lock is my favorite. No worries about it accidentally coming open in my pocket, or accidentally closing on me while using the knife. No is no way to accidentally unlock this thing, it engages very deep.

I also really like the steel on the Voyager. In fact one of the reasons I bought this knife is I wanted a folder in CTSBD1.

I already knew what to expect from BD1 from using my Ronin 2 and Manix in the same steel. Very corrosion resistant, very quick to sharpen, and takes an incredibly keen edge. Being one of my favorite steels, CTSBD1 was a selling point for me...I considered the Polestar, but I strongly prefer lockbacks to liner locks.

The Voyager is very easy to touch-up to razor sharpness. I usually give it a couple of passes per side on my UF stone once every other week and it's good to go. One of the easiest steels for me to get hair popping sharp. I have not had any issues with toughness or corrosion, as I expected.

The blade has VERY good geometry. Full height flat grind, thinner behind the edge bevel from factory than I expected. After dropping the edge bevel down a bit and giving it some polish, it slices through cardboard and foods with ease. I'm used to other companies typically having worse geometry than Spyderco, so I was happy to see the Voyager came ground as efficiently as any Military or Manix I've owned.

Now, the negatives.

- First, no spyder hole! This took some getting used to. I don't use thumbstuds on any other knife. They work, but I miss the hole.

- The lock bar appears bead blasted, which explains why it's the first part of the knife I managed to rust. (You knew I rusted something! :D )

At some point I'll take the knife down and polish the lock bar. I'm happy the blade has been 100% rust free so far. Few folding knives can do that for me this time of year.

- The clip was pretty tight when the knife was new.

I took it off and sanded down the scales underneath and it works better now.

It's still a bit tight, but I've grown to like it. The knife never, ever moves, no matter what I clip it to, or where. It's good for peace of mind.

Takes a firmer tug to draw, but I prefer that to a loose clip. I like how short the clip it while still grabbing effectively. It doesn't compromise ergonomics as much as longer clips. I like knowing I can clip it to my waistband and sprint down some mountain trails, and the knife won't think about moving around at all.

Overall I think the Large Voyager is a stout, but not overly heavy folder, that at $50 is a very good value. It checks all the right boxes for me. Never thought I'd see the day I EDC a folder without a spyder hole, but here I am. At least until the FFG Pacific Salt drops...that'll probably rule the pockets :D
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
:unicorn
Bloke

Re: Cold Steel Voyager review

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Nice review.

OMG, you make the 4” Voyager looks like 3” :eek: !! :D

We both seems to prefer lockbacks ;)
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

anagarika wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 am
Nice review.

I feel like we need a dedicated thread for this. "Pictures of knives in Vivi's hands" lol
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:15 am
anagarika wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 am
Nice review.

I feel like we need a dedicated thread for this. "Pictures of knives in Vivi's hands" lol
:D :D :D :spyder: :cool:
Chris :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

the Large Voyager in AUS 8 was my go-to folder for years before I stepped into Spyderco Salts (Aqua and Pacific, which ultimately replaced the Voyager) :rolleyes:

steel was good enough and I got the partially serrated because it was cheap ($35 vs $55 for a full PE), it really never failed me :cool:
The locks do need breaking in in most times, the clip + scale combo is deadly to pants but on the positive side I have never had a CS Folder unclip from me unlike other brands

I think for the price is hard to complain :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi, thanks for the review and also the pictures of the knife in hand. Since my hands are a bit on the large and thick side, that is helpful. I had a couple of Voyagers years ago. I had a medium and an XL. I got rid of them for some reason and I was looking at the newer Voyagers and wondered about the handle being too small because of the hooked pommel.

No doubt that Cold Steel makes a great knife. They are sometimes not finished as well as they could be, but the knives are still good and solid users.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Excellent review, thanks for posting!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a huge fan of the Filipino grip, but the Manix doesn't bother me that much, though I would prefer the spine were totally flat like the Shaman. The less pronounced hump was one reason I ultimately chose to stick with the Manix 2 over the Para 2. It's also part of why I love the Sliverax design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 am
Vivi, thanks for the review and also the pictures of the knife in hand. Since my hands are a bit on the large and thick side, that is helpful. I had a couple of Voyagers years ago. I had a medium and an XL. I got rid of them for some reason and I was looking at the newer Voyagers and wondered about the handle being too small because of the hooked pommel.

Even Vivi's hands should fit comfortably on the XL Voyagers... :D

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Peacent my friend, how did you scrub off that gross stonewash finish Cold Steel puts on the new Voyagers? I saw the pic you posted here of one where you brought back the great shiny satin finish.

Also, the new grip pattern of the CS Voyager is not comfortable to me. I prefer the original on the older Zytel handles.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They are very well made knives. The ergos on my small one don't fit the hand the best, but overall, I like it. If it didn't have liners that go right to the edge, I'd have carved it to fit me perfectly. Love the Triad lock. The clip, I had to take off and bend the lip up a bit and sand underneath on the scales. Works great now. Mine is actually easy to open for a thumbstud.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 am
Peacent my friend, how did you scrub off that gross stonewash finish Cold Steel puts on the new Voyagers? I saw the pic you posted here of one where you brought back the great shiny satin finish.

Also, the new grip pattern of the CS Voyager is not comfortable to me. I prefer the original on the older Zytel handles.
Hello.
I do much prefer the old Voyagers both for the clip, the handle material and texture, their shiny blades (I hate the new Stonewash and Bead Blast of the CS products from 2015 onwards) and their weight.

But the newer ones are good knives too :cool:
I don't know what Voyager (I have posted at least 12 different ones! :confused: ) are you referring to, but maybe it's this one on the left?

if o, it' an old Vaquero grande that wa beat up and trashed. I ground off the serrations and the coating to make a "trainer" blade, that is dull and blunt. :rolleyes:

It now just pierces objects but is safe to use and can't cut things so it is a "practice blade" that is close to the same size and weight as my other, deadly sharp Vaquero :p
SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent, it was a tanto Voyager pic you posted and it looked very shiny and satiny as opposed to the stone wash.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:52 am
I'm a huge fan of the Filipino grip, but the Manix doesn't bother me that much, though I would prefer the spine were totally flat like the Shaman. The less pronounced hump was one reason I ultimately chose to stick with the Manix 2 over the Para 2. It's also part of why I love the Sliverax design.
The hump on the Manix works better for me than the Para...it also has a bit more handle real estate. My experiences with the Voyager have me looking at the Native line again. I think whenever the Native Chief comes out, that might become a go to model for me due to the flat spine. The Shaman looks nice, but for $200 I'm going to be pickier about the lock type.

It's a shame the Manix XL so rarely gets sprint love. I'd be all over a DLC 52100 XL. The mini manix is just a bit smaller than I want in a folder.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 am
They are very well made knives. The ergos on my small one don't fit the hand the best, but overall, I like it. If it didn't have liners that go right to the edge, I'd have carved it to fit me perfectly. Love the Triad lock. The clip, I had to take off and bend the lip up a bit and sand underneath on the scales. Works great now. Mine is actually easy to open for a thumbstud.
Honestly it looks like the L and XL are the designs the handle is shaped around, and the M is just a scaled down version. I think a different handle shape would work better in a smaller knife.

It wouldn't fit in with their tough as nails marketing, but I'd be interested to try a linerless version of one of these.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 am
Peacent, it was a tanto Voyager pic you posted and it looked very shiny and satiny as opposed to the stone wash.

well I only have one modern Tanto Voyager, believe it or not :D
It's this one, and the shininess might be because:

a- took the pic at an angle that enhanced the reflections on the steel :cool:

b- It is the Limited Edition Rawles Voyager, which sports a glossy DLC coating and black blade as opposed to the stonewashed blade on all other Voyagers. :rolleyes:

Next to it is the LE Thompson Voyager which is the only other Voyager model with DLC coating and black blade

They are glossy and shiny indeed, more so than any other Cold Steel that I have
SpyderEdgeForever

That may have been the one Peacent. Yes.

Why do you think Cold Steel changed the format of the handle scales and also the blade from the original tried and true design, if you were to speculate on that?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 pm
That may have been the one Peacent. Yes.

Why do you think Cold Steel changed the format of the handle scales and also the blade from the original tried and true design, if you were to speculate on that?

regarding the Voyager, I guess that they needed to add liners (or thought so) for the new TriAd lock to work, also they switched from Japanese manufacturers to Taiwanese factories who maybe couldn't or wouldn't produce the same polished blades, cool shapes and such. :o

Also, Demko became a major designer and collaboration so he influenced some of the design changes and new models a lot (as said in his videos). :cool:

And Lynn kind of became obsessed with "reach" and "secure grips at the maximum distance from the pivot" for his folders, so he changed the butts of the Recon, Voyager and other models to accommodate a safer, stronger grip if held by the end, effectively extending the reach in a potential defensive situation :spyder:

the Espada is the most representative example of this

those are the reasons I can think of... TL;DR:

- change of factories and country of manufacture
- Demko and his new TriAd and influence in the desings
- Lynn and his obsession with "reach" for folding knives
me2

Post by me2 »

I have a Large Voyager I carry when not at work, and sometimes when at work. Most sites/factories won't let the larger blade in the gate. I alternate between a Manix LW in S110V and a Large Voyager in CTS BD1. No difference in edge holding, and both have their positives and negatives. The Voyager is more comfortable, but the Manix is lighter and easier to carry. Overall, I prefer the Voyager, but the blade length limit keeps me carrying the Manix about 75% of the time. I will say the Manix is easier to sharpen because the thumbstuds on the Voyager get in the way.