Cold Steel Voyager review

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pelagic

Re: Cold Steel Voyager review

Post by Pelagic »

me2 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm
I have a Large Voyager I carry when not at work, and sometimes when at work. Most sites/factories won't let the larger blade in the gate. I alternate between a Manix LW in S110V and a Large Voyager in CTS BD1. No difference in edge holding, and both have their positives and negatives. The Voyager is more comfortable, but the Manix is lighter and easier to carry. Overall, I prefer the Voyager, but the blade length limit keeps me carrying the Manix about 75% of the time. I will say the Manix is easier to sharpen because the thumbstuds on the Voyager get in the way.
Gosh, I wish my experience with bd1 was as good as yours. If i had found it equal to s110v in edge holding I definitely would have gone with a voyager instead if a recon 1 in XHP.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am
me2 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm
I have a Large Voyager I carry when not at work, and sometimes when at work. Most sites/factories won't let the larger blade in the gate. I alternate between a Manix LW in S110V and a Large Voyager in CTS BD1. No difference in edge holding, and both have their positives and negatives. The Voyager is more comfortable, but the Manix is lighter and easier to carry. Overall, I prefer the Voyager, but the blade length limit keeps me carrying the Manix about 75% of the time. I will say the Manix is easier to sharpen because the thumbstuds on the Voyager get in the way.
Gosh, I wish my experience with bd1 was as good as yours. If i had found it equal to s110v in edge holding I definitely would have gone with a voyager instead if a recon 1 in XHP.
My only experience with bd1 is my ukpk in cts-bd1n. Bd1n is certainly nowhere close to my pm2 or manix 2 in s110v. S110v holds an edge for eternities longer it seems.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Could you use a Cold Steel Voyager to skin and butcher an entire steer/beef cow, without sharpening it, to make steaks and chops and ribs for barbeque?
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's pretty crazy how good this knife is for the $$.

I took mine apart and cleaned it, polished the insides up to 1000 grit, then re-lubed it. One of the smoothest lock-backs I've ever used now, it's a pleasure opening this knife up for action.

Blows my mind that I paid $50 for this and it sees more pocket time than my $200 sprint Millie. Same weight, but a lock that works better for me, a steel that sharpens much faster, and tip up clip.

I'd most likely be EDCing my large voyager if the rust proof pacific salt didn't exist. It's easily my second favorite folder these days, over my Manix XL, Police 3 etc. That thick, chunky handle is so comfortable during use.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you, Vivi, I love this review of your's.

I have a question for you: Someone on this forum said that with a certain grit of sandpaper and enough time, a person could remove the stonewash finish from a knife like this Voyager. Is that possible?

If I were to get one of these Voyagers, the new model, and use sandpaper, could I sand away the stonwash finish and make it nice and satiny finished, and, could I also sand down the hard nubs on the new handle and make it more like the older version?
vivi

Post by vivi »

You can polish away the stonewash finish. I did that on my XL.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 pm
Hey Vivi, just wondering if you're still using that Voyager, and what your thoughts are a year or so later.
I have one coming in the mail right now. I had an Amazon gift card and it seemed like a decent knife for the money.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Great Knife. I think the satin finished version is better.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:25 pm
The one I ordered is apparently AUS-10 steel. It's supposed to be somewhat analogous to 440C, from what I understand. I'm curious to see how it performs.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
The one I ordered is apparently AUS-10 steel. It's supposed to be somewhat analogous to 440C, from what I understand. I'm curious to see how it performs.
With a Voyager, would you want: 1 Full-Serrated, 2 Part-Serrated, 3 Plain-Edge?

Which is better for butchering and processing fish and animals one hunts or fishes?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
With a Voyager, would you want: 1 Full-Serrated, 2 Part-Serrated, 3 Plain-Edge?

Which is better for butchering and processing fish and animals one hunts or fishes?
Personally I think would prefer plain edge. I don't like combo edges.
For butchering, PE.
- Connor

SpyderEdgeForever

What are some improvements you and I and others can suggest to Mr. Lynn Thompson, to add to his Voyager line?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:16 pm
What are some improvements you and I and others can suggest to Mr. Lynn Thompson, to add to his Voyager line?

For one thing, maybe round out the handle profile just a bit.
Come up with a better clip! It presses right against the aggressive texturing and feels like it'll chew my pockets to shreds in no time.

Other than those two things, I don't really have any complaints. Fit and finish on mine is spot on - zero blade play, blade drops free when disengaged. Perfectly centered. They did a good job on it overall.
- Connor

vivi

Post by vivi »

Well this thread popped up when I was looking for something else in a search. I ended up selling my voyager to a co-worker because he was looking for a good pocket knife. Looking at those pictures has me tempted to order another.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 pm
Well this thread popped up when I was looking for something else in a search. I ended up selling my voyager to a co-worker because he was looking for a good pocket knife. Looking at those pictures has me tempted to order another.
I've been thinking about it too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mine lives at work. It's the knife I let my co-workers borrow and abuse, and it just laps it up.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

- Connor

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Awesome! Is that an EDM cutting tool?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm
Awesome! Is that an EDM cutting tool?
Thanks! :)

Nope, 6kw fiber laser. We also have an 8kw laser too.

Been meaning to do this mod for awhile, finally got around to it this morning. I like it!
- Connor

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Very Cool!
How hot does the blade get while being "lasered"?