Done with Zero Tolerance

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Done with Zero Tolerance

Post by TomAiello »

Donut wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:46 am
I only have the 0770CFM4. It sucks that Derrick died!

I'm glad that the only ZT I own isn't super overbuilt, it's like their lightweight version of a knife. It's small, carries well, the blade isn't super thick, the lock is steel so it doesn't stick. I can't complain too much, but I wish the blade was uncoated and the assisted open makes closing it more difficult.
I keep thinking about picking that one up. I have the M390 version, and I really want to try the M4.
miyamotomusashi

Post by miyamotomusashi »

I'm a fan of ZT's innovations, like the steel lockface insert that doubles as a over-extension-stopper.
Last edited by miyamotomusashi on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Post by Donut »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am
Donut wrote:

I'm glad that the only ZT I own isn't super overbuilt, it's like their lightweight version of a knife. It's small, carries well, the blade isn't super thick, the lock is steel so it doesn't stick. I can't complain too much, but I wish the blade was uncoated and the assisted open makes closing it more difficult.
I keep thinking about picking that one up. I have the M390 version, and I really want to try the M4.
Dude, don't tell me that. I have and love the M4 version and would like to get ahold of the M390, but they aren't super common.

Well, that and I could get a lot of stuff in M390.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually liked the M390 enough that I picked up a couple of spares when they were more common.

I sold one to a friend last year, though, so I'm down to just one extra.
mad german

Post by mad german »

I have several ZT knives, and love each of them. I've NEVER ONCE gotten one with an uneven grind, blade play, off center blade, or minor cosmetic blemish. I CANNOT say the same for the Spydercos (or Benchmades) I've bought. Plus, their Customer Service rivals Benchmades, which is still tops as far as getting parts sent to you and sharpening/freshening up services.
My collection is ever changing!
mad german

Post by mad german »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:43 pm
I'm often tempted to buy a zt 0450 but just before I pull the trigger I back off due to issues I've read about. Nearly bought one this past week but ended up with 3 spydies on the way. Oh well sounds like I'm not missing out.
I've got a few 0450's, all are stellar. What issues are you referring to?
My collection is ever changing!
miyamotomusashi

Post by miyamotomusashi »

I have 5 ZT's and love them all equally. I'll be "done with zero tolerance" after I get just one more, I'm thinking.

Probably add another 0562, but the Carbon Fibered version because I've never had a Carbon Fiber handle knife in my life. It's about time, then I'll be done. :D

Attachments
KNIVES-JUNE-12-2018.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The 0600 RJ Martin design is the only one I ever longed to have and the sticker price kept me from pulling the trigger. Now they are impossible to find anyway.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
supracor

Post by supracor »

One of my favorite knives was my ZT 0920, it fits superbly well in my hand and its 20cv never rusted, also in pretty corrosive environments; leaving that i am on the spyderco forum i think that all my spydercos performs better than my ZTs, but my ZTs have better F&F than the majority of my spydercos (the only that can't be beaten is my vallotton)
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

My ZTs are all well built and I like the newer smaller designs...
started with 0900 and now 0450 0808 0456...and the new 0022 on the way.
Love my Spydercos but ZT makes some good knives maybe not your thing,
but anyone who calls them junk obviously don't know what their talking about.
Don't understand why somebody needs to trash other makers
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I bought a used 0350 from a pawn shop and I love it! The lock up is solid like a safe. But it is a liner lock.

ZT's after sale service is amazing. I like how even though I bought it used they will switch the blade out for a differnt style for only $30.

I have no problem buying another ZT
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I have an older ZT0562 G10/Ti and have had absolutely zero issues. The SV35N takes a wicked sharp edge with little effort. It's a tank it is! I prefer Spyderco due to all of the above stated reasons and I feel they are still the best value for the buck. That being said it all comes down to "Different strokes..." and now back to the regularly scheduled program.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Donut

Post by Donut »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am
Donut wrote:

A little late on this one. I do look around for the M390 version every so often, those are pretty rare nowadays.

*edit* Oh, I already did reply to that. :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I want to want to try a ZT knife, but they all just look like thick, heavy, over built tanks. Pretty much every model I see is just a robust slab of steel and materials. They remind me of my old Kershaw Cryo II...but even chunkier and heavier and like $130+ per knife.

So...I guess I really don't want to want to try one after all. :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm
I want to want to try a ZT knife, but they all just look like thick, heavy, over built tanks. Pretty much every model I see is just a robust slab of steel and materials. They remind me of my old Kershaw Cryo II...but even chunkier and heavier and like $130+ per knife.

So...I guess I really don't want to want to try one after all. :rolleyes:
You'll be suprised. They cut and slice so very well.
Compared to a Hinderer, they are under built lol. And, a Hinderer will cut and slice extremely well too.
Are they a 2mm thick kitchen knife? No. Will they get the job done? Yes, and very well at that too.
The build quality and performance are just fantastic on both ZT and Spyderco. I mean honestly... :spyder:
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

I started off my "higher-end " knife use/collecting with a handful of ZTs! The 0909, 0566, 0770, 0450CF, and 0804CF all were purchased within a relatively short time.

My first 0909 had lock rock and I returned 2 0450CFs because you could EASILY manipulate the lock bar to hit the far scale! :eek: I really liked the knives. ...especially the 0804CF and 0450CF (still have both) ...but realized early on they weren't the best cutters.

I bought a Tenacious for my son and I picked up a Manix 2 S110V G10 for myself. ..the rest is history. The overall function, value, selection, QC , and F&F is far better from Spyderco then ZT IMHO!

I recently found myself looking at another ZT(0609) around Christmas ! I purchased the knife with an open mind to try my foot in the Kai pond once more. The RJ Martin design was beautiful with great ergos ...but unfortunately the pivot was VERY tight and the blade horribly off center. I could've bought the pivot tool or used something from my toolbox to disassemble the knife , But I decided that my luck with ZT hadn't gotten better and returned the piece.

I don't see myself getting another...especially with so many other brands like LionSteel, We, Viper , Kizer, Fox, and others to lure me away every now and then from Spyderco!

James
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I've got an 0452cf. It's a stunning looking knife and flips like a dream. None of that matters though because the s35vn blade is a huge let down. The heat treat isnt very good, steel is kind of soft and won't hold an edge. Never say never but I dont plan on getting anymore. I will be keeping my one but only for the sake of having zt in the collection.