It's True Life Is Not Fair>> medically speaking for sure

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Re: It's True Life Is Not Fair>> medically speaking for sure

Post by tvenuto »

My wife’s family on her fathers side is a bit “country” if I may say so. At her aunt’s wedding their was a dish of cauliflower, which itself was smothered in what I have to imagine was a delicious cream/cheese sauce (I can’t eat dairy). One of the tables was having an earnest debate centered around: “what is this?” and “is this food?” Cauliflower! Something we eat at my house regularly, and which my 3 year old daughter enjoys. Unfortunately, for many people all food is of the “fast” variety, and the culture of cooking for yourself is gone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well Joe I hope things go better with this knee. I'm pretty sure I'll need both mine replaced in the long run...too many years of BMX crashes and working on cars and heavy lifting and physical jobs have destroyed my knees. My left one in particular hurts on a daily basis.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil, stay aware of that knee. Sometimes they just collapse without warning when too much weight is on them and they are in a slightly "off" orientation. You don’t want to fall.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well I switched to 10% or less processed foods and 90% of natural or minimally processed :) (that is yogurt, kefir, dairy in general and sometimes grains) foods, and I feel much better than I did years ago when I started to change because I felt horrible :cool:

Now I mostly eat vegetables, fruits, legumes, some dairy and grains and very rarely meat or fish, and quality fats (olive oil mainly) :spyder:

and this eating habits make for nice, colorful pics!
► Show Spoiler
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Do you think this person has some severe mental or emotional problems? I once heard of a woman who told people that she planned to eat as many cheeseburgers, ice creams, French fries, potato chips, greasy foods, pizzas, candy, and more, so she could make herself as fat as she possibly could. I never read or heard of her reason, her motivation. But if you were to talk to that woman what would you say to her if she told you that was her desire?

Oh wow and in browsing the internet I found a news article about a person doing this, it appears to be real:

https://nypost.com/2016/09/06/funnel-fe ... est-woman/

She already weighed in at 700 pounds when this article was written and her boy friend feeds her with a funnel.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Good news today! After four MRIs which are like hours of listening to a Star Wars Robot Punk Band turned up to 12, I learned that my leg issue is not associated with cancer having moving into my spine and central nervous system. So, I celebrated with a good latte (long drive home ahead) and one of my favorite Spydercos.

Rhino Coffee
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 pm
Good news today!
I’d say that would be fantastic news Michael and I’m very happy indeed to hear it! :cool:

P.S. The more I see the little Rhino the more I like it. I’ll get KC to chuck one in with the VToku2 knives I have on order. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, a big relief. I’m still in treatment and will likely be so until my train leaves the station finally, but that’s further off than I was beginning to suspect.

Yeah, I don’t know what it is with that little knife. I like the shape, feel, operation and the crazy upswept blade which is much more useful than I expected. Frankly, it just makes me happy to carry it, use it, pull it out and fidget with it. I’m a sick Spyder-afi, lol.

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm really happy for your good news Michael :) My recovery is still kind of slow because of it being a "revision" of a previous surgery but they say it's going as good as they expected so I'm happy for the time being. But I'm really happy that your worst suspicions were not as bad as they could have been and I truly hope you have smooth sailing for the foreseeable future.

We truly are blessed with some great medical resources here in the USA but unfortunately it seems like you've got to be at least a multi-millionaire to afford it :eek: But I guess for now I wouldn't want to live anywhere else at this time. Thank you all for all the great feedback and valuable information you guys shared with me on this thread. :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks, JD. I’m glad you are progressing well too. Man, I have seen a lot of people lately who are in far worse shape than either of us. Most of them have positive attitudes I can only guess at. Amazing. I have Medicare which I paid into all of my working life and a decent supplemental which I also worked to afford. Some people don’t have those resources and it can be hard for them.

I have a family member, old now, who has never taken responsibility or accountability for his life. He can be one bitter man when medical issues and costs arise, however he was cured of hep B at no cost to him and manages to get others to pay for his other medical care. Don’t ask me what I think of this. Some people fall on hard times and deserve all the help we can give them. Others I fail to have much sympathy for.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I belatedly saw your good news, Michael, and also glad to hear it. I’m still on the fence about that Rhino blade, though ....
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thank you. Huge relief. I can handle this cancer, didn’t need more.

There’s only one way to know, the Rhino way… lol

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Relevant to this thread, this just came out on Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/80170862
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Think I will pass. The tenor of advertising this film is heavily sensationalist. “The patients will pay.”

While edge technology and medicine can be risky it’s been my experience in the cancer world that such risks rare and there are many checks and balances involved. In my experience the cancer doctors are frank, accurate and discuss all of the risks and potential benefits with you. It has always been my decisions that direct my treatment.

I am skeptical of for profit films like these and feel they may scare people from investigating all possible solutions.

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Medical devices =\= cancer intervention
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a lady Doctor who got cancer in the late 80s/early 90s that claimed to have literally cured herself of breast cancer when some people very educated in nutrition approached her with a very strict diet which she shares on her website ( www.drday.com). I know that there is something to this diet because my cousin's wife also had breast cancer in the 90s and she had it so bad that they basically sent her home to die. However she claims that this diet that Dr. Day talks about saved her life in the late 90s>> she is still alive today thank GOD. I'm personally not claiming anything but I am saying that the information on that website is truly worth taking a look at for everyone who wants to improve their nutritional regimen.

People that belong to the Seventh Day Adventist Church are really big on nutrition and they are really strict with their diets and I've heard that very few of them and the Amish both ever get cancer. The Kellogg Brothers who were big in the Seventh Day Adventist Church ( Kellogg's cereal) were also big believers in diet and overall nutrition as being a main component in prevention of disease and sickness of all types.

Unfortunately the American diet as we know it today is geared for "TASTE" and not "NUTRITION" :( I do firmly believe that eating a lot of fast food will ultimately kill anyone quickly. And stay away from microwave ovens because all they do is to destroy the few nutrients in your food. I've been without a microwave oven since 1998 and I won't allow one in my house. Many doctors in different countries do indeed view food as medicine and it sure can be in the right circumstances. Garlic for instance has all kinds of medicinal properties to it. I could go on for hours but I do encourage all of you to check out Dr. Day's website and also Dr. Joel Wallach has some very good information on nutrition as well.