Good cleaning solution for knife blades to use for food prep?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Good cleaning solution for knife blades to use for food prep?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you have a folder or fixed blade that you used for non-food cutting such as cardboard or wood and you then want to clean the blade so you can safely use that same knife for food preparation, what do you all suggest? Basic soap and water? Rubbing alcohol into the hinges and where blade meets handle? I welcome all answers.
Sharp Guy

Re: Good cleaning solution for knife blades to use for food prep?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I use dish soap and hot water
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Windex
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Chlorinated detergent. Wine and Beer making shops sell it for cleaning containers and lines, considered food safe with a flush of clean water.
Calgary on the Bow
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If all I'd been cutting was cardboard, I'd probably just give each side of the blade a quick wipe against my pants leg before using it for food prep. As for wood, that would depend on the type of wood. If it was something hard and dry, same treatment as for cardboard. If it was something like fresh pine, with a smelly, gummy sap, it would either get cleaned first to remove the sap, then again to remove any traces of whatever removed the sap. Who am I kidding, given the number of knives I own, I'd just say "screw this" and reach for a clean one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just use the same stuff I wash my dishes with, which is usually Dawn. If it's good enough for the fork I eat my food off of, it should be good enough for the knife I cut that food with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If hot water wont work because it has glue, goo or sap on it then I usually just use rubbing alcohol.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:41 am
If you have a folder or fixed blade that you used for non-food cutting such as cardboard or wood and you then want to clean the blade so you can safely use that same knife for food preparation, what do you all suggest? Basic soap and water? Rubbing alcohol into the hinges and where blade meets handle? I welcome all answers.
SEF, it’s always best to be safe rather than sorry so I’d strongly recommend you use an Autoclave. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Bloke wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:27 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, it’s always best to be safe rather than sorry so I’d strongly recommend you use an Autoclave. ;)
Is it safe to assume the spydiechef is autoclave safe?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:11 pm
Is it safe to assume the spydiechef is autoclave safe?
Ah, hahaha! I have no idea brother ... titanium scales, bronze thrust washers, LC200 blade ... maybe? :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use rubbing alcohol when I want to clean a blade that has something sticky on it. I cleaned tar (was cutting roofing shingles) off a PM2 and I'm perfectly happy to cut food with it.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Good cleaning solution -- hand sanitizer works like a charm

Post by Mad Mac »

My grand-daughter was fashioning a wizard's staff, peeling the bark from a sassafras sapling and ended up with some really stubborn sap stuck to the hollow ground Delica I had given her. First she attacked it with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water then enlisted my help.

Vegetable oil had little effect and bore cleaner solvent (not safe for food) wasn't getting the job done either. A Google search bubbled up the idea of using hand sanitizer, which is about 60 percent alcohol. Most of us have that in our homes now, what with the Chinese virus going around.

It worked like magic, effortlessly wiping the sticky residue from the blade. It was astonishing. And it would be safe for food, too.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 am
I use dish soap and hot water
Evil D said it best. The DAWN line of dish soaps are hard to beat. DAWN has an overnight, concentrated 4X version that is awesome for stuff that is difficult to clean. And what I like about dish soaps is they rinse off easy with just tap water.

Also if you have something really stubborn on any knife blade the product "Bar Keeper's Friend" will remove about anything and it will remove it safely too.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So as mentioned dish soap is what I use most often. However after breaking down cardboard or packaging I often have glue from the tape on my blade. Soap alone doesn’t cut it. That’s when I turn to lighter fluid. Just a little squirt on a paper towel or right on the blade. Then a quick wash with the dish soap and good to go.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:25 pm
So as mentioned dish soap is what I use most often. However after breaking down cardboard or packaging I often have glue from the tape on my blade. Soap alone doesn’t cut it. That’s when I turn to lighter fluid. Just a little squirt on a paper towel or right on the blade. Then a quick wash with the dish soap and good to go.
Glad you brought up the tape residue, glue and other stubborn materials that can gunk up a knife blade. I've found that whatever Dawn 4X or Bar Keeper's Friend doesn't clean up I've found that either 90% Isopropyl Alcohol ( common rubbing alcohol) or in extreme cases I've found that common Mineral Spirits ( paint thinner) will get about 95% of anything you might encounter using a knife.

I can see how the lighter fluid would work as well. A good friend of mine showed me that "Naphtha" which is similar to the lighter fluid would also have good results as well.

But after using any type of solvent grade cleaner you should then always wash the residue of that solvent off with Dawn or other dish soap and rinse with hot water if available.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Dish Soap, I use DAWN.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

First soak the knife overnight in Clorox, mount on a large vice and blast with an industrial power washer.

Wash And dry it like any other piece of cutlery you own.