Bottle Openers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Bottle Openers

Post by Mad Mac »

Now that the Company has come out with the ClipiTool Standard, it is my EDCBO (Every Day Carry Bottle Opener). Before that, I had the original ClipiTool bottle opener. In the interim, I managed to collect a few keychain bottle openers. Is anyone else a collector?

The black bottle opener on the far left is made of some sort of polymer. Don't remember how I got it but the small slot in front is to lift pull tabs, the cogs in the round opening are for twist off caps and the large slot in the middle is to pry off caps.

The next one is aluminum and was given to me by Tecate at a beer tasting and has a tab lifting tool as well as the bottle opener.

The third one from the left is a CRKT Snailor, the tiniest bottle opener I've found so far. You have to sort of nibble off the caps.

The black Gerber Shard attempts to be a multi-tool. The thing it does best is stab your tender parts.

The last one is a Kershaw that was a bonus when I ordered a knife. It does not work very well either.

But in all fairness, everyone of them will get the cap off of a bottle of beer, and that is what really matters.

Finally, here is a bottle opener sent to me by the Beer of the Month Club. The round opening had me scratching my head until I ran into a beer with a muselet, the wire cage that holds a fat cork on a bottle of beer, wine or champagne. Remove the wire and it does a superb job of prying out the cork.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Bottle Openers

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not collect bottle openers but I do carry this clipitool almost everyday.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

https://youtu.be/cupnnTpHOGA
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Only bottle opener I have is the copper Rat Bastard. Pretty cool little piece.
Josh
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't collect but I have a corter bottle hook that I use to hang my keys from my belt loop. It's also pretty good at opening bottles. I've always just used the spine/flat of a knife to open bottles. If it's a folder I leave it closed. If it's a fixed blade then I'm just careful.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've always used my folder to open beers. Cradle the closed knife in your fingers, hand half open, with the spine pointed up / away from your palm. Put the palm of your hand on the bottle top and wedge the spine of the closed knife under the cap. Squeeze like you're making a fist and it levers the cap off similar to the lighter method. Works like a charm.

Always have a Leatherman Micra as a back-up, but it's pretty cumbersome folding out the tool then prying off the cap with it. I have my folder back in my pocket before I find the right tool on a MT.
:unicorn
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I don't collect bottle openers, but I do EDC them... I have an Imperial Boy Scout pocket knife with a slotted screwdriver/bottle opener blade, a Leatherman Super Tool 200 with a can opener/bottle opener blade, and a Leatherman Micra with a small slotted screwdriver/bottle opener blade.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

I never intended to collect bottle openers and seldom use the ones that I've accumulated

SAK Rover
SAK Cadet
SAK Super Tinker
Camillus 1967 Cub Scout Knife
Nite Ize Doohickey
Gerber Shard
LM PST
LM Micra
Promotional lobster shaped keychain bottle opener

So the next time I encounter a bottle that needs to be opened, which should I choose?
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

75A930FA-232D-4544-AFB6-3C1071F7E0BE.jpeg
got a few
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I think we have a winner!
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

2BC1C935-FE22-4D15-A9F2-90A901F5F3AE.jpeg
Lol! Wasn’t trying to “win”. Just have a thing for caplifters on knives and multitools. So handy. How many times do we hear someone going on about knives not being prybars? Well a nice little prytool that can open my beer after a job well done just speaks to me. I had K’roo make me up my little overbuilt caplifter prytool that I call the “Chunky Drunk” and it’s always on me and gets used for so many tasks I won’t even bother listing them. The others I’ve just acquired for various reasons, the hat was a gift, I didn’t even know the belt buckle had one when I got it, one was my dad’s, the ring lifter was from when I used to tend bar...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you for sharing your collection.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

For sure, that’s part of why we’re here right? If anyone wants a closer pic or details of one let me know. Cheers!
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I have a couple.

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Newest one for the collection, an Xmas gift.
D2FCE054-BCF6-4551-82F0-ED65B008788E.jpeg
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That Rough Rider knife has an interesting fluting treatment of the nail nicks.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a rather interesting thread even though at face value it would look pretty ordinary. Because last week end I found a lot of really old Coca-Cola, Pabst Beer, Pearl Beer and Double Cola labeled bottle and can openers that were in my late dad's old stuff >> they are the classic ones that they used to call "Church Keys". But some of those antique bottle openers were quite interesting to look at. It does seem like a lot of these knife companies and tool companies are making a lot of novelty and modern type bottle openers.

You can find good bottle and can openers on most high end multi-tools and Swiss Army Knives,. With many of the older soft drinks coming back and many companies going back to the type of caps that need a bottle opener I can see why their popularity has risen again. Even the compact units that they use on key chains are getting more plentiful as well.

It's also interesting how a wide array of common tools are getting popular again,. That would be an option Spyderco could consider for any new folders coming out of the Salt Series.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very cool thread and very neat bottle openers. Do you think a good combination set would be a bottle opener with can opener and mini pry bar and a Cold Steel Mini Tac Tanto with serrated edge, and, a Spyderco Native Salt, as a "universal tool set"?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The Spyderco ClipiTool Standard has a 3-inch blade, bottle opener wire stripper and large screwdriver tip and a can opener with small screwdriver.

The Spyderco ClipiTool Rescue has a SpyderEdge sheepfoot, a cutting hook and a screwdriver.

The Company could easily expand this platform to include more special tools or blades.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Heh - this thread has brought back memories.. Where I grew up in rural Quebec, no bottle openerto hand was not an insurmountable issue.. all you needed was step or bench or table edge, place the edge of the cap along the edge of whatever, and hit the bottle firmly downwards cap would pop off.. Unless you were Mon Oncle Leo, who could open beer bottle with his teeth (WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!) (but then he was a semi pro wrestler, prone to showing off feats of strength)... Usually Friday nights was a "case of quarts' from the local depanneur (Labatt 50 was the beer of choice) the usually a party would develop in Mon Oncle Pat's kitchen cheese, sausages,. homemade bread, and then out would come the fiddle and guitars, and the applejack, and caribou (red wine mixed with Alocool) or someone's white lightning...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"