Bottle Openers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spyderg

Re: Bottle Openers

Post by spyderg »

If the Standard had the hook instead of the can opener and if it was ctsbd1 I’d get one. Spyderco has spoiled me with high end steel so the 8cr13mov just doesn’t do it for me, lol! And I just can’t think of a time where I was like, “I wish I had a can opener”. But the hook could be good for clamshell packages. I’ve got a SAK with a tool meant for those and it’s great, perhaps something like that?
Anyways ppl tend to be surprised with just how thick the stock is on my “Chunky Drunk” so I thought I’d post it next to my Manix2 since it’s in my pocket right now.
6D7B4BAC-FB85-4ED2-B279-46FFD5E9AC76.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

What a unique collection. Really impressed!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've a gec beer scout
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

That is very nice.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I always carry a SAK with a bottle opener (either a SAK Pioneer or SAK Spartan). The bottle opener feature isn't often used to open bottles for me, but it makes a good light-duty prying tool and box opener (using the large screwdriver head).

Jim
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 am
I always carry a SAK with a bottle opener (either a SAK Pioneer or SAK Spartan). The bottle opener feature isn't often used to open bottles for me, but it makes a good light-duty prying tool and box opener (using the large screwdriver head).

Jim

that's mine too :o

Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Now that the Company has come out with the ClipiTool Standard, it is my EDCBO (Every Day Carry Bottle Opener). Before that, I had the original ClipiTool bottle opener. In the interim, I managed to collect a few keychain bottle openers. Is anyone else a collector?

The black bottle opener on the far left is made of some sort of polymer. Don't remember how I got it but the small slot in front is to lift pull tabs, the cogs in the round opening are for twist off caps and the large slot in the middle is to pry off caps.

The next one is aluminum and was given to me by Tecate at a beer tasting and has a tab lifting tool as well as the bottle opener.

The third one from the left is a CRKT Snailor, the tiniest bottle opener I've found so far. You have to sort of nibble off the caps.

The black Gerber Shard attempts to be a multi-tool. The thing it does best is stab your tender parts.

The last one is a Kershaw that was a bonus when I ordered a knife. It does not work very well either.

But in all fairness, everyone of them will get the cap off of a bottle of beer, and that is what really matters.

Finally, here is a bottle opener sent to me by the Beer of the Month Club. The round opening had me scratching my head until I ran into a beer with a muselet, the wire cage that holds a fat cork on a bottle of beer, wine or champagne. Remove the wire and it does a superb job of prying out the cork.

I recently bought this https://swordsswords.com/bottle-opener- ... knife.html Undoubtedly, a perfect combo of knife and bottle opener. I find it useful for multiple everyday tasks.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

On my wishlist is an opener made by veteran owned Bottle Breacher from actual .50 Caliber brass. At Fort Knox Armor Officer Basic I had the pleasure of operating a .50 from the command turret of the M60 tank on the moving gunnery range.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Available for $14 from Walmart, the key-fob sized, frame-lock Javelin has a thumb-stud and a clip. The exposed shark nose bottle opener is integral to the frame and can accept a key ring. On the loose in a pocket, the shark can bite tender parts.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

It seemed to me that an opening hole in the shape of a bottle opener would be a good idea, but evidently not a popular one. The only knife I have ever found that employed the concept was a small Northwest Trail liner lock hawkbill in a convenience store. They came two to a bubble pack for $10 and had tiny carabiners.

Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Now that the Company has come out with the ClipiTool Standard, it is my EDCBO (Every Day Carry Bottle Opener). Before that, I had the original ClipiTool bottle opener. In the interim, I managed to collect a few keychain bottle openers. Is anyone else a collector?

The black bottle opener on the far left is made of some sort of polymer. Don't remember how I got it but the small slot in front is to lift pull tabs, the cogs in the round opening are for twist off caps and the large slot in the middle is to pry off caps.

The next one is aluminum and was given to me by Tecate at a beer tasting and has a tab lifting tool as well as the bottle opener.

The third one from the left is a CRKT Snailor, the tiniest bottle opener I've found so far. You have to sort of nibble off the caps.

The black Gerber Shard attempts to be a multi-tool. The thing it does best is stab your tender parts.

The last one is a Kershaw that was a bonus when I ordered a knife. It does not work very well either.

But in all fairness, everyone of them will get the cap off of a bottle of beer, and that is what really matters.

Finally, here is a bottle opener sent to me by the Beer of the Month Club. The round opening had me scratching my head until I ran into a beer with a muselet, the wire cage that holds a fat cork on a bottle of beer, wine or champagne. Remove the wire and it does a superb job of prying out the cork.

Good to see these amazing collections. Recently, i bought this https://swordsswords.com/butterfly-flas ... -tool.html A new addition to my collection.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You will be the life of the party with a balisong bottle opener like that.
So many bottle openers. So little time.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Maybe I'm not that far out in left field after all in my quest for a tactical bottle opener. Outside my price range and incompatible with my lifestyle, none other than Double Star, known more for tactical firearms than cutlery, has a tanto fixed blade with integral bottle opener in the pommel.

But still champion in folding knives with one hand opening bottle opener, the Spyderco ClipiTool Standard.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crux

Post by Crux »

You guys got nothing on this fool.

https://youtu.be/tYV3_CO277o
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That is a tour de foam.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is another bottle opener for my wish list: The DoubleStar Noogie.
A knuckle duster bottle opener? They have a disclaimer and refer you to your district attorney.

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My teams out for this year but I’ve got a new caplifter so I’ll be o.k. Lol!
89D0E606-AD54-4CA2-93AA-92403644B2F2.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Very nice.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I guess I didn’t have enough lifters in the collection ‘cause I made one more!
18D01A7A-8B3E-4BA3-8B79-8C186F0F7D47.jpeg
Used to have a spear and a Spey, now a slightly curved coping and a lifter!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Mad skills.