Is this mean/cold or is it efficient and caring?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Is this mean/cold or is it efficient and caring?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a question for you all. Please per the forum rules let's keep it NON political.

Say you want to do something caring and loving, to help someone in need, and you only have a little bit to spend on a charitable effort.

Let's say you look the world and various nations over, and you come to the conclusion that in the Western world your money does not go as far, as it would in a place such as a developing nation, like places in Africa, Latin America, or Asia.

Compare, for example, the cost of food in a place like the USA and Canada and Europe, vs the cost of food in a place like Kenya, or Mexico, or the cost of food in a place like Switzerland, or England.

If that person decides that "I would rather give my little gift to those poor people in Brazil or Mexico or Thailand, rather than those people in Chicago, or Los Angeles, or Scotland, because in those western nations, the people have welfare and most of them are doing better than those poor people in Thailand, or Kenya," is that mean and cold or is that a good efficient use of funds, to stretch them as far as possible, to help more people as possible?
shunsui

Re: Is this mean/cold or is it efficient and caring?

Post by shunsui »

Money given to charities in other countries may well be lost to unscrupulous characters.

I'd recommend finding a local hospital or old folks home that could use the money.

We might all wind up in one or the other at some time.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Do not give if you want to retain control over how the gift is used, or it is not giving.
This is your conundrum SEF, look in your heart for the answer.
O.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don’t agree 100% O. I think it is responsible giving to ensure to the best of your ability that your gift is used responsibly

It’s still “giving”

Ken
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Do not give to shysters if you can help it. Responsible giving is key. For example, I know of a couple of popular TV preachers that proclaim they give a lot of money to help the poor but in reality have given maybe $50 once in order to be able to put their name as a donor. I know of some small churches that give everything collected directly to the people in need. (Not saying all big churches are bad or all small ones are good, so do not go there). The USA has had this issue for decades. We will send literally tons of food and money to help some poor country's starving people and the corrupt officials and charity heads will let the food rot and steal the money as a means of further oppression and control of the people. In Indonesia, after the tsunami hit in Banda Aceh (Banda AH cheh), America stood off the coast with all the supplies needed to feed, clothe, and house the victims and the leaders in that country would not allow it. They only wanted people of their own faith to bring it in, which none volunteered, and over 100,000 people died needlessly, as a result. You have to be careful how you give.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I firmly believe charity begins at home.

My wife and I are patrons of The Kids With Cancer Foundation Australia and our local Surf Lifesaving Club (Clovelly) and fair to say we like to contribute to other local charities also and we do but where does it stop?

I feel we need to get our own backyards in order first and then we’re in with a chance at helping others do the same.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

The whole world can be your own backyard and everyone is your neighbor. There are tools such as Charity Navigator that can be used to evaluate whether your gift is spent well wherever the charity operates. I volunteer/give of my time/give money both in my own city and far away. As a medical professional (RN) I can use my skills more effectively outside the US because I don’t have to consider liability issues. Poverty, in my own experience is worse in some less developed countries. That speaks to me. You should give where it means the most to you. Across the street or across the sea. I can’t evaluate whether what you do is mean or efficient. Be generous and give without regret. You can change lives.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with giving where you feel your money will do the most good, whether it be helping people directly, or supporting a cause you feel strongly about. The only caveat I'd suggest is carefully vetting any charity, foreign or domestic, before you donate. Many, including almost all those who solicit by telephone, are either complete frauds or so poorly managed and inefficient that they're no better than frauds. Be especially careful vetting those that have some variant of "cancer", "child", "police" or "fire" in their names. One simple way is to visit www.charitywatch.org and use their "Top Rated Charities" list as a guide.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 pm

My wife and I are patrons of The Kids With Cancer Foundation Australia and our local Surf Lifesaving Club (Clovelly) and fair to say we like to contribute to other local charities also and we do but where does it stop?

I feel we need to get our own backyards in order first and then we’re in with a chance at helping others do the same.
Bloke.
Born and bred in Clovelly, lived in Clovelly rd

Donate the 10cents per can and bottle container deposit to the Down syndrome foundation. Also tee,d up a bin for my work where they pick them up. ( being a Aussie living in the NT that's a lot of money each week :D :D :D )

I give blood. The gift of life.
Not the same as the states as its voluntary and not paid for.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 am
Bloke wrote:

Bloke.
Born and bred in Clovelly, lived in Clovelly rd

Donate the 10cents per can and bottle container deposit to the Down syndrome foundation. Also tee,d up a bin for my work where they pick them up. ( being a Aussie living in the NT that's a lot of money each week :D :D :D )

You’re kidding standy! We live on Gilderthorpe Ave, off Clovelly Rd. Basically the corner of Frenchmans and Carrington. Less than a click and a half from the beach ... small world. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 am

Just for clarification, while there are places in the states where people can sell plasma, almost all whole blood here is donated by volunteer donors. Main reason for that is the FDA requirement that whole blood from paid donors has to be labeled as such. Either due to health concerns or ethical ones, few hospitals will use use blood from paid donors.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 am
IMHO, there's nothing wrong with giving where you feel your money will do the most good, whether it be helping people directly, or supporting a cause you feel strongly about. The only caveat I'd suggest is carefully vetting any charity, foreign or domestic, before you donate. Many, including almost all those who solicit by telephone, are either complete frauds or so poorly managed and inefficient that they're no better than frauds. Be especially careful vetting those that have some variant of "cancer", "child", "police" or "fire" in their names. One simple way is to visit www.charitywatch.org and use their "Top Rated Charities" list as a guide.
Thanx Paul.
That's a helpful post. So many, many frauds these days.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:

+1
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I give blood to the American Red Cross.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I concur with The Deacon... nothing wrong with giving where you feel your resources will do the most good; however, you really need to ensure the following before you donate...

- That the charity you give (whether food, clothing, money, etc.) goes to an organization, organizer, etc., who is reputable and will truly do as they say they will with your resources in helping the people truly in need.

- That your charity actually be what is needed for the people or situation. It makes no sense sending food that the people can't use or consume because it's not part of their normal diet, especially overseas in underdeveloped areas. It makes no sense sending winter coats to a natural diaster site in a tropical region. It makes no sense sending equipment that people in need can't use, operate, or maintain. Etc. Your donation must meet the needs of the affected people... that's where a reputable organization or organizer that truly knows what's going at the affected site and knows what's needed comes into play.

- That if it's money you contribute, ensure the organization puts the most money possible towards the cause... there are some charitable organizations that put a good portion of the money towards their own overhead with the remaining going towards those who actually need it.

- And, that you watch out for scammers and orgainzations that really have no clue on what's going on. To be effective, the organization or organizers truly need to be familiar with the people of the affected area to include their culture, language, religion, traditions, etc. Otherwise, unprepared, uneducated charities become as much if not more of a problem for a situation that's already a bad problem for the affected people.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!