New knife law hits london

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ZrowsN1s

Re: New knife law hits london

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm angered and saddened by this news. Foolish madness. Treating people like infants that can't be trusted with sharp objects. This last week a man in Germany armed with a gun, ran down a crowd of people with a Van rather than going on a shooting spree. So where does that leave us? Do we ban vehicles next? Wrenches? Hammers? Matches? Gasoline? Shall we put padded gloves on peoples hands? Bind their legs so they can't kick? Muzzle them so they can't bite or complain. Shall we carry this flawed ideology out to it's logical conclusion and lock everyone in a nice safe padded cell where the only thing they are 'free' from is harm?
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm
I'd tell London's mayor he can stop and frisk...deez nuts.
Hahahahahahahaha
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

" Shall we put padded gloves on peoples hands? Bind their legs so they can't kick? Muzzle them so they can't bite or complain. Shall we carry this flawed ideology out to it's logical conclusion and lock everyone in a nice safe padded cell where the only thing they are 'free' from is harm?"

They almost do that now with kids.

The wrap in cotton wool Syndrome.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Volk,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
atv223

Post by atv223 »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:59 pm
" Shall we put padded gloves on peoples hands? Bind their legs so they can't kick? Muzzle them so they can't bite or complain. Shall we carry this flawed ideology out to it's logical conclusion and lock everyone in a nice safe padded cell where the only thing they are 'free' from is harm?"

They almost do that now with kids.

The wrap in cotton wool Syndrome.
My daughter’s middle school banned “high fiving” because a bully could smack your hand really hard. Maybe a that would be a good life lesson.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I'm sorry -- what the mayor is doing is brilliantly nonsensical. Bright spark for sure. :rolleyes:
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I don't even own guns and don't like the attention being spent on the symptom and not the cause. Violence is a difficult problem that can't be easily solved with a law. Similar to drugs. They're illegal too aren't they and pretty much have always been.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I wish everyone in the world loved knives and was a Spyderco enthusiast.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In the UK, kitchen knives will always be legal to buy (not carry unless you’re like a chef) and they’re far deadlier than 3” blade non-locking folders. There are also all-ceramic kitchen knives that defeat metal detectors.

To say that “there is never a reason to carry a knife” is just naive. So, even SAKs should not be carried?

By the way, no new law has been enacted yet. Stop and frisk is sensible even when profiling.

Los Angeles has a 3” blade limit but it can have a lock. However, many places now have metal detectors or they frisk you because they don’t allow knives of any kind. At a concert, since we Ubered, I had to go bury my folder and ManBug keychain knife in a potted plant and then I was allowed in. Fortunately, I was able to find the right potted plant afterwards!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 pm
In the UK, kitchen knives will always be legal to buy (not carry unless you’re like a chef) and they’re far deadlier than 3” blade non-locking folders. There are also all-ceramic kitchen knives that defeat metal detectors.

To say that “there is never a reason to carry a knife” is just naive. So, even SAKs should not be carried?

By the way, no new law has been enacted yet. Stop and frisk is sensible even when profiling.

Los Angeles has a 3” blade limit but it can have a lock. However, many places now have metal detectors or they frisk you because they don’t allow knives of any kind. At a concert, since we Ubered, I had to go bury my folder and ManBug keychain knife in a potted plant and then I was allowed in. Fortunately, I was able to find the right potted plant afterwards!
I had to bury my knife once too. Got it back too!
Volk

Post by Volk »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm
Hi Volk,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you! It's great to be part of this community
polyhexamethyl wrote:
Volk wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm
There is a noticeable tendency to apply new restrictions in the name of "safety", especially here in Europe. I think that politicians could at least put some more effort into it, I mean, this is just plain nonsense:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife."

And this is something that should not happen in a civilized country:

These patrols used aggressive stop and frisk procedures on anyone suspected of carrying a knife.

agreed - totally!

if you get stopped by police here in austria you give them a probable cause why you are carrying a knife.

but if you just plain ask them if they ever saw a roll with a zipper did it every time i got stopped by police - usually answered with a smile by the officer
It sounds a little bit like the situation we have in Italy, the problem here is that knife laws are restrictive and very confusing. The officer and the judge will decide whether the reason you gave them for carrying a knife is good enough and if your knife is a tool or a weapon. Technically, if you are outside of your house, you could be fined or even arrested for having a Roadie in your pocket.

Urbanization and movies played a big role in the change of perception, when I was a kid I had the luck to spend every summer in the countryside and over there nobody bat an eye when I was carrying a knife or even a billhook. Now I work in an office and some people are scared by the sight of my Opinel slim that I keep in my lunchbox to peel fruit (RUUUUN! WEAPOOOON!). As knife enthusiasts, we should always try to apply common sense and explain our point of view to these people that are scared of everything; this won't change the world or our laws for the better, but perhaps someone will leave some fear behind and be more tolerant.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Schpyder wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 am
I heard last year that flippers and thumb stud knives may get banned in the U.S. i hope Spyderco's with holes can skirt it because most don't have flippers or studs. We will all be carrying slippys's like are grandparents did. I don't like it but I can live with it. Spydie holes are giant nail nicks aren't they ?
Heard where? Most of the southern US laughs at NYC type knife laws.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Volk wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm
There is a noticeable tendency to apply new restrictions in the name of "safety", especially here in Europe. I think that politicians could at least put some more effort into it, I mean, this is just plain nonsense:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife."

And this is something that should not happen in a civilized country:

These patrols used aggressive stop and frisk procedures on anyone suspected of carrying a knife.
Well, isn’t it true that European voters have largely been quite keen to vote for the kinds of ignorant nanny-state tyrants who produce exactly these types of policies?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Well, isn’t it true that European voters have largely been quite keen to vote for the kinds of ignorant nanny-state tyrants who produce exactly these types of policies?
Yep. Here in a lot of places too. It's not just a European thing though in many places they do seem farther ahead of our nanny state types here and have gone into real threats to freedom.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm
Yep. Here in a lot of places too. It's not just a European thing though in many places they do seem farther ahead of our nanny state types here and have gone into real threats to freedom.
Well we know there are people in the US that have been trying to decades to turn the US into England and or the UK.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Things like gun control work in the U.K. as there is pretty much universal support for it. We just don’t have a widespread hunting culture to underpin gun ownership.

When you consider the country was absolutely awash with guns after two world wars their removal cannot have been accomplished without such support. I suppose two generations of “total war” changed our society’s perspective.

Similarly, most people don’t think about knives at all outside of the kitchen, and use Stanley knives /box cutters for work.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Things like gun control work in the U.K. as there is pretty much universal support for it. We just don’t have a widespread hunting culture to underpin gun ownership.

When you consider the country was absolutely awash with guns after two world wars their removal cannot have been accomplished without such support. I suppose two generations of “total war” changed our society’s perspective.

Similarly, most people don’t think about knives at all outside of the kitchen, and use Stanley knives /box cutters for work.
I saw that difference with my inlaws. I had bunches of them from the UK and a few from Ireland. None of them were even remotely gun and knife folk and saw no reason to own firearms of any kind. They did want to go shooting once for fun when they came here on vacation but I never saw even so much as a pocket knife with any of the family. Other than on TV they just never thought about them with only 1 having any military experience. To them guns were terrible, evil, far away things that they only saw when they turned on the TV. It's not strange that translated to knives when they were told it should by the media.Their whole thought process was different from mine. I admit they had some unusual ideas about Americans. Especially southern ones. ;)

joe
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Also in the tweet the mayor talks about a ban on home deliveries of acid.
Wouldn't that be stigmatizing his own constituents ?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

atv223 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm
My daughter’s middle school banned “high fiving” because a bully could smack your hand really hard. Maybe a that would be a good life lesson.
Sounds like the rule makers at that school need a high five in the face.
Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith »

Texas just revised their knife laws to allow the carrying of automatic knives. But you cannot carry a club. You can carry a hatchet in your vehicle but not a Tomahawk. Reason still escapes us.