DMT coarse or extra coarse?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Johnnie1801

DMT coarse or extra coarse?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I need a new diamond sharpener for some re-profiling work and was wondering if the DMT coarse is enough or to go for the extra coarse? I'll be sharpening steels like M4, Maxamet, K390, S110V etc.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Deacon

Re: DMT coarse or extra coarse?

Post by The Deacon »

I have all 4 grits and, for serious re-profiling, I'd go with the extra coarse. OTOH, that's really about all it's good for. The coarse is more versatile, but it would take longer to re-profile with it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Agree with Paul. Always remember with DMT don't press too hard. Go up to the lower grit instead. Also, wetting with water or windex works better. Don't use oils.

Joe
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered a DMT extra coarse. I'm planning to set my bevels with the DMT and then moving to the Sharpmaker brown rods. Will that be ok or should I get something else between the DMT and brown SM rods?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
vivi

Post by vivi »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered a DMT extra coarse. I'm planning to set my bevels with the DMT and then moving to the Sharpmaker brown rods. Will that be ok or should I get something else between the DMT and brown SM rods?
That will work fine. Polishing up the entire bevel from the DMT to the Sharpmaker browns will take a minute, but there's no need for any steps between. If you're using microbevels it will take no time at all.
:unicorn
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 am
Also, wetting with water or windex works better. Don't use oils.

Joe
Hi, why use windex? is it to reduce surface tension of fluid, to keep the surface cooler or grit cleaner?
Thanks (in anticipation)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I do own and use some DMT diamond sharpening tools but I don't currently own any of their benchstones. The diamond benchstones that I currently own and use are a Norton "coarse" and a 3M extra-coarse and they both do an excellent job. I know that DMT does make decent sharpening tools but overall I've had excellent results with the Norton and 3M stones that I own and use at this time.

I really do like DMT's conical rods that I use for really beat up serrated blades and for sharpening certain woodworking tools as well. I've yet to find a diamond benchstone that I like better than the two 3M stones that I have.
me2

Post by me2 »

Why no oils?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I use mineral oil (actually baby oil) on my DMT and it helps wiping off the swarf. I saw some other post saying oil weakened the bonding or similar effects, but I cannot observe that.
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

me2 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Why no oils?
Because there's no need.

Periodically wipe the stone with a wet rag when steel particles build up. That's all DMT's will ever need for a decade of use.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I use both. A DMT extra coarse is good for bulk metal removal, but it is too coarse to apex with IMO.

A good progression I find is DMT extra coarse -> DMT coarse -> SM diamond or DMT fine or SM med -> SM fine.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Donut

Post by Donut »

clovehitch wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:01 am
Or you can just do DMT coarse and (after thorough burr minimization) jump straight to a firm leather strop and ~0.25 micron diamond compound or diamond powder. Toothy yet refined. It'll cut rope well, shave hair, slice a free hanging paper towel (if sharpened correctly), etc... Not a polished edge but an effective one.

I'm not saying this is the best edge or anything, I'm just constantly experimenting and found that jumping from coarse to unbelievably fine has some benefits.
I've done that before, DMT coarse with a few swipes on a strop with green compound. That feels like a pretty nice edge.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm
Johnnie1801 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am
That will work fine. Polishing up the entire bevel from the DMT to the Sharpmaker browns will take a minute, but there's no need for any steps between. If you're using microbevels it will take no time at all.
If you plan on getting all of the XC scratches out with the Brown Sharpmaker rods, that could take you a while, that's a pretty big jump.

If you don't care about the scratches, it's not a big jump at all. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Donut wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:05 pm

If you plan on getting all of the XC scratches out with the Brown Sharpmaker rods, that could take you a while, that's a pretty big jump.

If you don't care about the scratches, it's not a big jump at all. :p
I tried the xc dmt yesterday on my vg-10 delica, did it nice and slow as mentioned above. It removed the steel very fast but left the scratches, not a huge deal on a work knife. After the xc I went to the brown rods (corners then flat) and then fine rods, minus the scratches it worked pretty well but I think for my nicer knives I'll have to find something between the dmt and brown rods

Jon
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use the extra coarse for reprofiling and fixing damaged knives. I carry a coarse in my pocket daily. Some knives I'll actually sharpen with the extra coarse and leave it like that. Makes for a very aggressive edge. If you're using the extra coarse on a nice knife I recommend going slow and taping the blade with masking tape to avoid scratches.