Glock G30S

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Glock G30S

Post by MacLaren »

Just ordered one. Looking back, I kinda wish I would've ordered the G30SF. But, I think I'll be really happy with the 30S.
Would love to hear from members that have or have had a G30S.

Thanx!
shunsui

Re: Glock G30S

Post by shunsui »

The Glock Gen3 30SF is still legal in California. Been thinking of picking one up before that changes.

I've got the Gen3 21SF, but here's a couple of videos from Hickok45 on the G30 S.

https://youtu.be/qbdP1JsB2Rw

https://youtu.be/xHSdGHyzfqM
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have owned several G30's, but not the G30S. I have handled one, however, and I like the way it feels in my hand better. I sold my G30's because my wife could not handle it and I was downsizing to a common caliber and gun. It is a really nice pistol and shoots well, but I have not compared accuracy side by side with the G30. The G30 is match accurate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:10 am
I have owned several G30's, but not the G30S. I have handled one, however, and I like the way it feels in my hand better. I sold my G30's because my wife could not handle it and I was downsizing to a common caliber and gun. It is a really nice pistol and shoots well, but I have not compared accuracy side by side with the G30. The G30 is match accurate.
Thanx Dan.
From what I understand, the 30S will have a little more snap in recoil than the 30. I think accuracy wise, they are prolly the same.
However, that could be refuted, as the g30 is prolly the softest shooting 45 there is in any pistol. (From what I understand)
At any rate, it should be a good pistol I think.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I liked the Springfield XDS in 45, tested it before my wife bought the 9mm xds
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 pm
I liked the Springfield XDS in 45, tested it before my wife bought the 9mm xds
Yes. I've shot an XD before. Good pistol.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

XD is a nice pistol, but it is not as light as the Glock. Also, for me, the XD was not as shootable nor as naturally pointable. I have owned a couple. They were not as accurate as the G30, which is a very accurate handgun as a rule. One thing I do like about the XD is the grip safety. I think this would be a better addition to Glock than a thumb safety that is sometimes added.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:37 pm
XD is a nice pistol, but it is not as light as the Glock. Also, for me, the XD was not as shootable nor as naturally pointable. I have owned a couple. They were not as accurate as the G30, which is a very accurate handgun as a rule. One thing I do like about the XD is the grip safety. I think this would be a better addition to Glock than a thumb safety that is sometimes added.
For me it's the opposite, I find that a glock does not come up right on target for me without tweaking my wrist at an odd angle. Glocks are boringly great but just not for me.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
benben

Post by benben »

Don't own a G30S, but a Gen3 G30. Amazingly accurate pistol, it's easy for just about anyone to make one big ragged hole in a target at 10 yards with this pistol, well just about anyone......
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

A question about the above firearm: Over time are there any parts in it that tend to corrode, and build up rust, or is that easily dealt with through regular oiling? I remember someone years ago remarking that one of the positive sides to owning a Glock pistol is that "That is a mostly plastic gun and will never rust." How true is that statement in comparison to the reality of its parts?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just regular maintenance. And, depends upon how much you shoot too. Every so many rounds requires a detailed take down of the pistol, to be cleaned and possibly replace parts, i.e. springs.
On the whole, a Glock is very low maintenance.
If not mistaken, they only require 3 drops of oil.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

One of my favorite carry guns. Basically fitting between the G26 and the G19 size wise. The slender frame makes carrying IWB easy and comfortable. I did buy a 9 round magazine with the flat butt-pad which helps with concealment. Recoil isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. You know something happened when you pull the trigger, but it’s not horrible. It’s just a great little gun.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I had the opportunity to test drive one of the original G30S models when the project first started. The guy who actually came up with the idea is a good friend. I liked it enough to write an article on it:

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-glock-30s/

In fact, I liked it so much, instead of sending the test gun back, I sent Glock a check...

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 am
I had the opportunity to test drive one of the original G30S models when the project first started. The guy who actually came up with the idea is a good friend. I liked it enough to write an article on it:

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-glock-30s/

In fact, I liked it so much, instead of sending the test gun back, I sent Glock a check...

Stay safe,

Mike
Awesome article Mr.Janich!!
Thanx so much for sharing this!
I should have mine tomorrow.
I'll definitely get back with a 1st impressions/ initial range report.
I know now I'm gonna love it...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Northglenn500 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:09 pm
One of my favorite carry guns. Basically fitting between the G26 and the G19 size wise. The slender frame makes carrying IWB easy and comfortable. I did buy a 9 round magazine with the flat butt-pad which helps with concealment. Recoil isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. You know something happened when you pull the trigger, but it’s not horrible. It’s just a great little gun.
Cool. I really appreciate you sharing your experience Glenn.
I think it's going to suit my needs very well.
I just don't wanna be toting a Sig X5, or an STI Apeiro around all day. They are incredibly good shooters, but are big too.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just came in today. So far, so good.
I'll prolly get a couple 21 mags and an x grip.
I'll also do the 25 cent Glock trigger job. And put a 3.5 pound connector as well.
The trigger is what's gonna take a little while to get used too.
I'm used to a 2 and 1/4 pound 1911 trigger.
But, I don't anticipate any trouble at all.
I really think this G30S will be one helluva fun pistol to shoot.
I'll try and fire some rounds thru her tomorrow.
I'll shoot from 7 yards and then 50+ yards, just to see where I'm at.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Congrats! Let us know what you think. A good source for factory parts is Glockparts.com. Thats where I found my OEM 3.5 connector and the 9 round magazines. Have fun and shoot straight!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Northglenn500 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 pm
Congrats! Let us know what you think. A good source for factory parts is Glockparts.com. Thats where I found my OEM 3.5 connector and the 9 round magazines. Have fun and shoot straight!
Thank you. Appreciate that info.
I'll prolly do another thread about initial impressions/initial range report. Gonna be a lot of fun I think.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Don't mind Glocks at all but after trying every trigger configuration known to man I settled on an 8lb connector then mirror polished every moving part and contact point in my G20 and G29. At that point you end up with a Glock that feels like a well set up double action revolver.

Honestly, mine mimics my competition GP100 in trigger stroke feel and when you combine the trigger mods with the filled and flattened backstrap it is incredibly accurate and controllable even with full power 10mm loads.

YMMV, OH62