Bad Milestone

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RLDubbya

Bad Milestone

Post by RLDubbya »

Well.

This weekend was the mark of something I've been dreading, and rightfully so from what I'm feeling: I surrendered my driver's license due to medical reasons. I'm 56 years old. I've ridden cross-country 7 times on motorcycle, solo. 40 years of memories have come crashing down upon me, and I'm struggling.

Struggling hard.

I sincerely hope that nobody else ever has to go through this. I would not wish what my life has become upon anybody.
Sjucaveman

Re: Bad Milestone

Post by Sjucaveman »

So sorry to hear that, may you find new things to enjoy and fill your time as you move forward.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm very sorry to read this RLD.

It saddens me and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family mate.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Almost 50 myself, my thoughts & prayers with you. Can’t go on without keep being reminded & learning: let go those gone, enjoy whatever is now and welcome what’re to come. I found there’s no stopping this passage of events.
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry to hear that dude.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is difficult to find appropriate words for your situation. All I can say is I can relate and to point you to TazKristi’s signature line. Words to live by every day. I hope you find peace and the way to live happily in this time.

Best regards,
Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

RLD, faith is the key. I hope and pray for mercies during this time of life.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm sorry to hear that, RLDubbya. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well, that you can find peace in your difficult situation.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

be strong, and keep as alive and kicking as you've been so far. I've seen that you've kept optimism and enthusiasm throughout this ordeal and I congratulate you for that.
It is inspiring to say the least.

My mother started chemotherapy last week and my prayers are with both of you
Take care,

TP
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That must be tough to bear.
My very best wishes.
Chris
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

RLDubbya wrote:...I sincerely hope that nobody else ever has to go through this. I would not wish what my life has become upon anybody.
Hang in there. You're too young for that sort of thing.

Most people will go through giving up their license if they live long enough. I was my mother's chauffeur for 10 years. The next five years, she didn't go anywhere much. She lasted until 98.

Hope you have alternatives. I live in a city with Uber and Lyft, technologies that beat calling a cab and waiting an hour and a half. We have a pretty good public bus system too. A friend of mine lives in a Florida retirement community where everyone's tooling around in golf carts.

I'm just hoping that by the time I have to give up my license self-driving cars are viable.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Thanks everybody. I'll just say that I've fought through 2 expiration dates, but things are coming to a head. There is no cure for the cancer I have, and it has caused extensive liver damage. For example, and I'm not exaggerating, at my standard bodyweight of 255lbs, I can wake up some morning and weigh in at 305lbs - literally gaining 50lbs overnight. All water. So much water that I can't bend my legs. It will hang around for a week or two, then just as suddenly I'll lose all the water and drop back to 255.

Quite simply, my body can't take much more. I'm not sure my mind can take much more either, and I'm terrified of falling into a coma with no notice - a nice feature of where my blood toxins are at because of a non-functioning liver. The doctors are amazed that I'm still walking and haven't succumbed to a coma months ago.

I have left the house only 4 times (except to go to the hospital) in the past 2 years. I have no way to get around.

For whatever reason, all this has come rushing down on me since giving up my license.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RLDubbya wrote:Thanks everybody...
Thank you RLDubbya for your contributions here on the forum. I hope that when the end of my journey is staring me in the face, I meet it with as much grace and fortitude as you have displayed here.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm really sorry, RL. I don't know exactly what to say. I hope somehow you feel a little better, and have the care you need at home. It might sound ridiculous, but please try to stay as positive as you can, and above all, have faith. My best to you.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I hope that if I have contributed anything to this forum, it is the notion that while a good attitude might not win every battle, a bad attitude will definitely lose every battle. I can't emphasize how much a good attitude has helped me. My wife was told, by a leading hospital in the nation, back in April '16, to call in for last rites - I would not make it through the day. After I was discharged, the hematologist / oncologist assigned to my case told us in our first meeting "I really wish there was something, anything, positive about your case. There's just not. Every aspect of your body, of your health, is presenting a negative. My recommendation, honestly is not to worry about fighting, but to go home, relax, and prepare to die soon."

I think that surrendering my license brought me a sense of finality I had not prepared my mind to accept.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
RLDubbya wrote:Thanks everybody...
Thank you RLDubbya for your contributions here on the forum. I hope that when the end of my journey is staring me in the face, I meet it with as much grace and fortitude as you have displayed here.
Can’t say it better. You have been a positive contributor here and over BF. Thanks and my thoughts are with you.
Chris :spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I hesitate to say this because I have never gone through what you are experiencing, but I just wanted to encourage you to put your faith and trust in God, and I know that He will give you the peace to work through this difficult time.

Hang in there!

My best regards and hopes,

Connor
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

RLDubbya wrote:I hope that if I have contributed anything to this forum, it is the notion that while a good attitude might not win every battle, a bad attitude will definitely lose every battle.
In that, you have succeeded and inspired many of us, it's encouraging and admirable the way you've handled and faced this.

I hope the rest of the way is in peace, among your loved ones and affronted with the strength and courage you have shown so far.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Said a prayer for you tonight after church.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050