Coffee in the woods

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
xceptnl

Coffee in the woods

Post by xceptnl »

I am a huge coffee drinker. I enjoy it day in and day out. The typical drip style Mr. Coffee type maker serves me well most days, but I want to know what you all prefer to make your brew when you are away from civilization and without electricity.

I picked up a Stanley French Press unit before Christmas and have been thrilled with it. To the point I sometimes use it in the kitchen for an extra tasty batch in the evenings. So what do you forum members like to use to make your cup of joe?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mb1

Re: Coffee in the woods

Post by mb1 »

I think French Press units make the best coffee, but that heavy plastic Aeropress is more durable. I don't care for it so much, but it works kind of like a French press and is more packable.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m on the verge of buying an Ilsa Neapolitan coffee maker. Only an argument* with the Mrs stopped me buying one in Rome airport in November. They look ideal.
(*don’t ask)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I also looked at a silicone, pop-up style holder for a traditional cone style filter. This would only be used when I go full lightweight for extended backpacking.
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I am in the woods, I will just buy Taster's Choice. Sorry. It is a lot more practical.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Either my ancient enameled "cowboy" coffee pot or some Cafe Bustello instant. (the only instant I can tolerate)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Either my ancient enameled "cowboy" coffee pot or some Cafe Bustello instant. (the only instant I can tolerate)
Doc Dan wrote:If I am in the woods, I will just buy Taster's Choice. Sorry. It is a lot more practical.
Though I can recognize and simplicity and minimalism of this, I take a really hard stance on my coffee. I only like my brand and I only like a few flavors that they offer. I will not compromise on this regardless of camping, visiting friends out of town, on vacation, stuck in a hotel on business, etc. I take my coffee with me everywhere. Now I am keeping my micro stove, pot, and butane cylinder in my go bag.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:I am a huge coffee drinker. I enjoy it day in and day out. cup of joe?
Well dude I'm a "huge-er" coffee drinker :cool: :rolleyes: Actually I'm a coffee connoissuer of the highest level. I'm even a borderline "coffee snob" :D

If you think I'm picky about what pocketknife I carry well you ain't seen nothing until you see me sippin some Jamaican Blue at my local "Homer's Coffee House" here in good ol' Kansas City MO USA :cool: But Homer's aint the only coffee house I hang at I've even been known to go franchise joints occasionally too.

When I gave up booze many years ago coffee just kind of filled the void :rolleyes: I've been very fortunate to have hooked up with a guy who has access to almost every exotic coffee bean you've ever heard of. And yes I've had a lot of Kenyan AA, and good old Sumatran on those really cold and lonely days :cool: There probably isn't a lot of types of beans I haven't tried. And yes I've got a deluxe bean grinder too.

That's why I miss our good ol buddy Chad ( Daywalker) who I used to send him a big money order and he would send me some top notch KONA from the island he lives at :cool: And I'm hoping that he'll return and be with us again at some point. And why do you think it is called a "CUP OF JOE :D " Because that's my name dude!!! And I got that name for a reason :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:I am a huge coffee drinker. I enjoy it day in and day out. cup of joe?
Well dude I'm a "huge-er" coffee drinker :cool: :rolleyes: Actually I'm a coffee connoissuer of the highest level. I'm even a borderline "coffee snob" :D

If you think I'm picky about what pocketknife I carry well you ain't seen nothing until you see me sippin some Jamaican Blue at my local "Homer's Coffee House" here in good ol' Kansas City MO USA :cool: But Homer's aint the only coffee house I hang at I've even been known to go franchise joints occasionally too.

When I gave up booze many years ago coffee just kind of filled the void :rolleyes: I've been very fortunate to have hooked up with a guy who has access to almost every exotic coffee bean you've ever heard of. And yes I've had a lot of Kenyan AA, and good old Sumatran on those really cold and lonely days :cool: There probably isn't a lot of types of beans I haven't tried. And yes I've got a deluxe bean grinder too.

That's why I miss our good ol buddy Chad ( Daywalker) who I used to send him a big money order and he would send me some top notch KONA from the island he lives at :cool: And I'm hoping that he'll return and be with us again at some point. And why do you think it is called a "CUP OF JOE :D " Because that's my name dude!!! And I got that name for a reason :spyder:

Lmao, Joe you kill me. I was always curious why the drink had that name, now I know why. I wouldn't go far enough to say I am a coffee snob as of yet, though I have refused to buy coffee from places that had brews I found to be very bland and flavorless. I would rather go without than drink bad coffee. I am still expanding my palette to other bean flavors, but I can agree with you 1000% than nothing has a flavor like Kona straight from the island. This is perhaps the mildest roast that I prefer though. I like my coffee strong enough to stand up without a cup.
*Landon*
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I bought a Frieling stainless steel double wall french press about 10 years ago and it still looks and works like the day I bought it. It's awesome for car camping and somehow tastes better when you are immersed in the woods. I've tried every method out there and have a cabinet full of different makers, but the press is probably my favorite overall. If heating water is an issue, you can always just let it sit overnight and drink cold brew in the morning.

The "packable" filter that clips above your mug works with the pour over method, but I haven't been able to get consistent results and it can be a mess. FWIW I'm not a big fan of the bodum pour over system I have at home either, which includes an temperature controlled kettle.

Using a tea ball infuser actually works pretty awesome. I also like that you can easily sample the results and dunk it back in (I like my coffee black).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well just to set the record straight there are coffees that I don't really like. For instance I've never had a cup of French Roast I ever liked very much :( . It has a bitterness that just doesn't go down good for me personally but I got a couple of pals who love it so I usually trade the stuff to them for what I do like. But I will lower myself to force it down if there is no other caffeine in the house.

There were two other African beans I didn't really like either. It seems like the closer to the equator the beans are grown the better I like it most of the time. I had some Bolivian stuff recently that had a rich taste to it similar to Jamaican Blue. But most of that Kona variety from the Hawaiian Islands is always terrific :cool:

Also there is really only one STARBUCKs brew that I like a lot which is called "Veranda Blonde". That stuff is really habit forming but most STARBUCK stuff tastes like it's burnt to me :rolleyes:

We do have some excellent coffee shops here in KC and the very best one is "Eleo's Coffee" on Independence Avenue here in Kansas City>> those guys have their roasting down to a fine art. But I now live so far away that I don't get to see the guys at Eleo's very often these days. But the stuff at Homer's is really good too. I even like Iced-Coffee every now and then. But having your own bean grinder ( preferably a German made unit) is the only way to go IMO.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:Well just to set the record straight there are coffees that I don't really like. For instance I've never had a cup of French Roast I ever liked very much :( . It has a bitterness that just doesn't go down good for me personally but I got a couple of pals who love it so I usually trade the stuff to them for what I do like. But I will lower myself to force it down if there is no other caffeine in the house.

There were two other African beans I didn't really like either. It seems like the closer to the equator the beans are grown the better I like it most of the time. I had some Bolivian stuff recently that had a rich taste to it similar to Jamaican Blue. But most of that Kona variety from the Hawaiian Islands is always terrific :cool:

Also there is really only one STARBUCKs brew that I like a lot which is called "Veranda Blonde". That stuff is really habit forming but most STARBUCK stuff tastes like it's burnt to me :rolleyes:

We do have some excellent coffee shops here in KC and the very best one is "Eleo's Coffee" on Independence Avenue here in Kansas City>> those guys have their roasting down to a fine art. But I now live so far away that I don't get to see the guys at Eleo's very often these days. But the stuff at Homer's is really good too. I even like Iced-Coffee every now and then. But having your own bean grinder ( preferably a German made unit) is the only way to go IMO.
I don't love many of the Starbucks flavors, but the wife loves the Veranda Blonde and if we don't have any in the cabinet, momma is not happy. I don't mind the bitternezs of a french roast, inversely I find Italian roasts to be bland and flavorless.
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just can't get a taste for the stuff. By the time I get it tasting how I like it I've added so much sugar or chocolate or whatever that it's no longer coffee. Everyone else in my family live off it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mb1 wrote:but that heavy plastic Aeropress is more durable.
Yep, that’s my travel rig. It’s incredibly versatile. I have the gold screen filter for it (instead of those paper filters they sell) I can make everything from light tan water my wife likes to almost espresso level TDS. ;) it’s really a pretty amazing tool. I mean, seriously, for hers it’s about a teaspoon of ground coffee and mine the coffee fills the cylinder. You can’t make it that stiff with the paper filters but the gold screen will allow it.

Like many of you, I enjoy a good cup and have everything from a couple nice espresso machines to Moka, to brikka, to vac pot to FP to ibrek, but none of those offer the durability or flexibility to allow me to take just one device on the road like Aeropress does. It fills a much needed void, IMO.

Ken
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I currently have two coffee makers that work great for me. I also have a German made bean grinder which does a really professional job. The one Phillips Coffee maker I mainly use is made in Holland>> Yeah I knew my good Spyder-Netherlands Brethren would like that :D But you wouldn't believe how long I searched to find a coffee maker that was not made in China. And the dutch made coffee maker is just nothing short of excellent and really brews a consistent cup of super good of Jamacian Blue or whatever flavor or nationality of coffee you might desire.

The other one I have is an American made BUNN unit. And it's not bad either but I do find the Dutch made Phillips much more convenient. But it does make a great back up unit for sure.

One of the better grocery store coffees I've found is Seattle's Best. They have some great coffee shops in many airports throughout the country as well.

One novelty coffee I love made by "Camerons" has got a quirky name to it>> it's called "Jamaican-Me-Crazy" :rolleyes: but for a flavored coffee it's not bad at all.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I just recently started getting into coffee. Use to absolutely hate it unless it was a white mocha or something other. Now I can’t get enough of it, and only drink the black stuff. I really enjoy Kona coffee beans, and some I found from Kauai, I can’t remember the name. If you want to try some really strong, crazy coffee, I also don’t mind Death Wish Coffee on those extra tired mornings..that stuff is insane!!
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still have my old hand cranked coffee grinder. It really does put more joy into the preparation and fresh ground is better than pre-ground any day. Where I am, now, I cannot get good coffee. Sad, but true. Every now and then I order some but the cost is prohibitive most of the time.

However, it is not all bad. Here, we get great tea, even tea that brews up like coffee. In the USA we get floor sweepings of old tea and do not know what good tea really is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Josh - is it Kauai Coffee (brand)? We visited their plantation on Kauai in 2001 and have been autoship customers ever since. Really good stuff.

Dan - I have a few hand grinders too (1 Turkish and 2 regular) You’re right, they do a fine job. Mine are “old” but the new ones coming out are impressive. I honestly don’t use mine often since getting a Preciso, but one day it will probably die and I’ll go back to them

“Where I am, now, I cannot get good coffee. Sad, but true. Every now and then I order some but the cost is prohibitive most of the time.”

Have you thought about roasting your own? It’s not really that hard and green coffee is cheaper and has a much longer shelf life. You just get a big bag and roast up 2-3 days worth at a time. Always fresh!

I don’t do it anymore but back in the day.... just take a cast iron pot (I did mine on the grill because it does tend to smoke... A LOT! ;) ) Stir the beans with a wooden spoon until they are where you like them and dump them out on a cookie sheet. It’s really that easy, If you read a bit about coffee roasting you’ll read about smells, timing, temperature, “first crack”, “second crack” etc but with a little trial and error you can find what you like without knowing all the particular in’s and out’s behind the results.

If at some point you REALLY get into it they make “sample roasters” Small roasters typically used to try out various beans or blends. They only do a pound or so but that’s perfect for a home roaster. Again, they smoke A LOT so even that is an out side activity (unless you can run a direct vent - which is not something the average person wants to do)

Ken
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

kbuzbee wrote:Josh - is it Kauai Coffee (brand)? We visited their plantation on Kauai in 2001 and have been autoship customers ever since. Really good stuff.

Ken
Yes!! That is it! Had to look at the package this morning! Good stuff!!
Josh
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My wife and I have been using a French press in the kitchen for well over ten years and we love it. It is the only way we have made coffee for years. When car camping I just bring it along.

When backpacking I buy the Folgers singles that look like tea bags. Folgers is terrible but when in the woods it does what I need and since you don't need anything special to make it but your cookpot and and a cup it is likely the lightest weight option. I have been using them for over 25 years. If I was going to be picky about my coffee in that situation I would probably try one of those metal tea diffuser balls.

The Folgers goes well with my powdered eggs, instant mashed potatoes, ramen noodles and mountain house freeze dried meals. If my coffee was too good it might remind me how mediocre the food I'm eating is. :)

This is the advise of someone who backpacks a lot more than he camps.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?