Coffee in the woods

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderScout

Re: Coffee in the woods

Post by SpyderScout »

If I want 'real' (as opposed to instant) coffee in the woods, I use the Jetboil Coffee Press.

There is just no comparison and it leaves instant coffee in the dust......(or the grounds..., so to speak).

I considered the Aeropress, which Id heard good things about, but I already had/have several Jetboil units and the deciding factor was, that the Coffee Press unit is VERY compact and can be packed with the rest of the JB stuff in the JB cup.

The CP weighs nothing and take up no extra room, which is a big deal to me.

That the JB CP is cheap, is not to be sneezed at either.

I heartedly recommend the CP for those who already have a JB.

(Stock pic)

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Jetboil coffee press in the woods for me too. At home it's the bunn.
JT

Post by JT »

xceptnl wrote: I want to know what you all prefer to make your brew when you are away from civilization and without electricity.
1. make a fire
2. boil some water, in a small coffee pan / tea kettle
3. add "pan roasted" grinded coffee straight in, and let it boil for a 10sec, just enough to make the water boil again and "make bubbles"
3. let it sit off the fire for a while, say 3-5mins
4 enjoy the coffee, pref from a kuksa =engl. guksi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guksi )

Preferably all of the above is done when enjoying a nice scenery, and when making a fire be sure to use your :spyder: to make kindlings. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I looked at the Aeropress and the JetBoil, but for $20 nothing really came close to this.

As shown with my favorite brews. I think JD would approve
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, I draw the line with coffee in the woods that comes out of the backside of some animal.

Seriously, there was a time in my life when I was such a coffee snob I went to all sorts of trouble just to make certain I had the best cup I could make, no matter where I was at the time. Now, I do not go through all of that trouble when I am away from home.

And, for what it's worth, the best coffee I have ever had was that old white can US Army coffee they used to have. They went to a different company for that coffee and it was not as good. But that old Army coffee, thick, black, and strong, was the best. The roasted flavor was unmatched by anything I could find later than 1980 or 81.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I only drink teas from Starbucks, but I was in there today and they had a new coffee from Hawaii, called Kopelani’, and it was darn good!
Josh
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

murphjd25 wrote:I only drink teas from Starbucks, but I was in there today and they had a new coffee from Hawaii, called Kopelani’, and it was darn good!
I know some of the flavors are really difficult to find in retail stores. Did they happen to have that one for sale by the bag also?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

xceptnl wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I only drink teas from Starbucks, but I was in there today and they had a new coffee from Hawaii, called Kopelani’, and it was darn good!
I know some of the flavors are really difficult to find in retail stores. Did they happen to have that one for sale by the bag also?
Yes they had one pound bags for sale also. If I'm by there today I was going to pick up a bag.
Josh