Are there any knife dealers that accept Bitcoin?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Are there any knife dealers that accept Bitcoin?

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone know if any knife dealers are caught up with the new trends and accept Bitcoin?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Snorky

Re: Are there any knife dealers that accept Bitcoin?

Post by Snorky »

You could buy the entire contents of a knife store with a single bitcoin. Actually, right now you could buy half the contents of a knife store with a single bitcoin. Oh no, I was wrong... a third of the contents of a knife store.

Better to trade in tulip bulbs. They've been bumping along the bottom for the last few hundred years since their boom. They must rise soon.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hah!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Snorky wrote:Better to trade in tulip bulbs. They've been bumping along the bottom for the last few hundred years since their boom. They must rise soon.
"Tulip Mania" is largely fictional.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180964915/
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Just cash in your BTC and wire transfer to your bank account... Simple.
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, cashing in would be good, but direct transfer is far better. Some knife dealer will jump on the band wagon sooner or later. BTC is on the rise and will continue. It is legal tender in a great many places, even many Starbucks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BTC is actually a terrible transactional currency. Block times of 10 minutes are great for network security and long term value holding, but they absolutely suck for transactions. BTC is more like owning gold. You buy a chunk of it, hang onto it, and then cash it out into something more "transactional" to use for purchases. Right now, most people are using fiat currencies for transactions, but there are plenty of cryptos that would be good for that (and a much better fit than BTC, for sure). Something designed from the ground up for transaction speed (and preferably privacy) would be ideal. PIVX, for example, would work great for commerce Or Byteball. Even the other big coins (LTC, for example, or DASH) trounce BTC for that kind of use.

I'm a big fan of crypto, and I have several e-commerce businesses, but I have no real interest in trying to create BTC functionality for my regular transactions. I've taken payments in it, but it's not the right system for that. I can think of about ten transactional currencies that would be way easier to use for both the merchant/seller and customer/buyer, and have large enough market cap and good enough coding support that I'd be happy to use them for day to day business. LTC, PIVX, XLM, XRP...the list goes on...they're all better suited than BTC for commercial transactions.
andreeacrst

Post by andreeacrst »

I haven't heard about anyone that accepts bitcoin for a knife deal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, now entire nations are trading in it and it has got way up in value. A lot of places are now accepting Bitcoin instead of cash or credit card.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

"Never invest in a business you do not understand."
--Warren Buffett
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I will sell you my entire collection for just 1 bitcoin. What a deal!
I'll even throw in a motorcycle as well. :p
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 am
--Warren Buffett
Fortunately, Bitcoin is pretty easy to understand.

https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

It's simple enough that my 14 year old daughter has coded a blockchain.

I'm fairly well versed in cryptocurrency, starting from a formal background in economics and finance. There are many solid real world applications.

If you want to use cryptocurrency to resolve transactions on a commercial level, there are many good solutions (Veem, for example, if you know nothing about the technology or Stellar, if you do--I've used both of these systems for cross border trade). If you want to use them to resolve consumer level transactions, there are definitely options (like debit cards that run on the visa network and let you resolve transactions from your crypto accounts). If you want a crypto-to-crypto solution, you're a beta tester, and you're doing it for personal reasons, or just for fun. But I bet that is at the consumer level within ten years, too.

The problem is the people looking to make a fast buck day trading, who are both losing their own money and handicapping the growth of the real digital economy.

My honest, best, real world advice: Take 10% of the money you save (not your current savings--new savings) and allocate it into cryptocurrency. Continue to do so until the crypto rises in value to 10% of your net worth. Stop contributing at that point and let it ride forever. Don't be a day trader. Hold on for years, not days. Coinbase or some other big mass market service (but Coinbase is the easiest) will do everything you need. Don't sell for toys. Only sell your crypto to make a real difference in your life. For example, I got all my dollars out of crypto in 2017, when they had reached a value that was able to pay off my home. I know that the crypto I sold would be worth a lot more today, but I'm very happy with that decision. Eliminating mortgage debt is a major positive in anyone's life, and well worth forgoing future gains.

If you know nothing about Cryptocurrency, just buy Bitcoin.

If you know a little more, buy something like 40% bitcoin, 40% ether, and 20% lite coin (not those exact numbers--if you know a little more you can make up your own numbers). But stick to major crypto projects. Buying any of the small coins without a high level of education and background is pretty much just gambling based on rumors. If you aren't technically oriented enough to actually operate a network node, don't buy any minor crypto.

If the term 'sudo' is part of your regular vocabulary, go nuts. Fire up a mining rig, or buy a couple hundred bucks worth of some minor projects and stake them.
Last edited by TomAiello on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 am
I will sell you my entire collection for just 1 bitcoin. What a deal!
I'll even throw in a motorcycle as well. :p
Bitcoins are almost infinitely divisible. The smallest transaction unit on the bitcoin blockchain is the Satoshi, currently worth about two cents. There are definitely people who own whole bitcoins, but not many of them, and that's not the point of the system anyway.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am

My honest, best, real world advice: Take 10% of the money you save (not your current savings--new savings) and allocate it into cryptocurrency. Continue to do so until the crypto rises in value to 10% of your net worth.
Some things I'm not comfortable discussing in a public forum. Maybe one day when you're down this way and we're drinking beer and talking about knives, perhaps I'll say more. But until then, I'll leave it at this: There are as many avenues to success as there are successful people. Bitcoin is just not part of my own path.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The great thing about people is that they can all do different things, and still all be successful. There's no need to do things that you aren't comfortable with, or just don't want to do. :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am
RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 am
--Warren Buffett
Fortunately, Bitcoin is pretty easy to understand.

https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

It's simple enough that my 14 year old daughter has coded a blockchain.

I'm fairly well versed in cryptocurrency, starting from a formal background in economics and finance. There are many solid real world applications.

If you want to use cryptocurrency to resolve transactions on a commercial level, there are many good solutions (Veem, for example, if you know nothing about the technology or Stellar, if you do--I've used both of these systems for cross border trade). If you want to use them to resolve consumer level transactions, there are definitely options (like debit cards that run on the visa network and let you resolve transactions from your crypto accounts). If you want a crypto-to-crypto solution, you're a beta tester, and you're doing it for personal reasons, or just for fun. But I bet that is at the consumer level within ten years, too.

The problem is the people looking to make a fast buck day trading, who are both losing their own money and handicapping the growth of the real digital economy.

My honest, best, real world advice: Take 10% of the money you save (not your current savings--new savings) and allocate it into cryptocurrency. Continue to do so until the crypto rises in value to 10% of your net worth. Stop contributing at that point and let it ride forever. Don't be a day trader. Hold on for years, not days. Coinbase or some other big mass market service (but Coinbase is the easiest) will do everything you need. Don't sell for toys. Only sell your crypto to make a real difference in your life. For example, I got all my dollars out of crypto in 2017, when they had reached a value that was able to pay off my home. I know that the crypto I sold would be worth a lot more today, but I'm very happy with that decision. Eliminating mortgage debt is a major positive in anyone's life, and well worth forgoing future gains.

If you know nothing about Cryptocurrency, just buy Bitcoin.

If you know a little more, buy something like 40% bitcoin, 40% ether, and 20% lite coin (not those exact numbers--if you know a little more you can make up your own numbers). But stick to major crypto projects. Buying any of the small coins without a high level of education and background is pretty much just gambling based on rumors. If you aren't technically oriented enough to actually operate a network node, don't buy any minor crypto.

If the term 'sudo' is part of your regular vocabulary, go nuts. Fire up a mining rig, or buy a couple hundred bucks worth of some minor projects and stake them.
Two more things I'd add: 1] Don't get greedy 2] Stick with well proven and stable service/company. The newer ones may be a scam or they their business model may make it so they do not last.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
goldkey

Post by goldkey »

https://sakaiknives.com accepts bitcoin, eth, and dogecoin
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear goldkey:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike